The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
06 6.0 Powerstroke, 134k, all stock. Only mod is coolant filter. I run Archoil and a fuel conditioner. I recently switched from Diesel Kleen to Optilube summer, which is supposed to provide better lubricity. Was getting 15 mpg mixed highway/around town driving. I'm now getting 13. Truck runs excellent, otherwise. I see some black smoke when under heavy acceleration from a stop, but never any other time. I have a Scangauge II. No codes, thus far. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
5,484 Posts
duplicate post deleted

·
Registered
5,484 Posts
Fuel economy issues are hard to track down. Are your numbers all hand calculated?

I assume you are using all OEM filters, etc and all that routine maintenance is up to date (including watching the air filter "filter-minder"? Also, I assume that tire air pressure is where it should be?

You might try removing and cleaning several critical sensors: MAF, MAP (and hose), EBP (and tube), IAT2. Might also pull and clean the EGR valve (and see how much carbon is in the intake).

Also, I would install a fuel pressure gauge if you don't already have one.

What Archoil are you using?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, hand calculated. I'm using Archoil 9100 in the oil. I just noticed I'm overdue for fuel filters, I'm at 20k on this set. Yes, I only use OEM filters. Air filter looks fine and tires were just rotated and pressure is fine. I'm thinking, with the smoke under acceleration, it may be the filters. What do you think?

·
Registered
5,484 Posts
Possible. I would still check the sensors.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Will do, thanks.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I like diesel klean. I get 16 mix 19 to 20 straight hwy. tires to 75lbs any oem fuel will have the membrane too. I've used the international filters too. Cost less.

·
Registered
5,125 Posts
Smoke from as truck truck is going to be either a dirty air filter or something throwing the fueling off (bad/dirty sensor, etc.). Dirty fuel filters would tend to underfuel I think, so likely not your problem, though 20k is WAY too much. Factory service interval is 12.5k, and I do mine every 10k.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts