The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm trying out the Sumitomo Encounter tires. I installed two of them on the front. I still have the Michelin LTX MS2 on the rear.

Compared to the Michelin LTX MS2, the Sumitomo Encounter has much shallower sipes. I haven't driven with them in mud, snow, ice, or rain yet; so I can't say how that will affect the traction.

Some of the reviewers said that the Encounters catch in grooves in the road, but I have run over road grooves with no catching.

The Michelin LTX MS2 had 70,000 miles warranty; but now they have been replaced with Michelin Defender LTX MS2, which has 50,000 miles warranty. The Sumitomo Encounter has 60,000 miles warranty. The Encounter costs less than half of what the Michelin Defender LTX MS2 costs.

The Sumitomo Encounter tires are manufactured in Taiwan. The Michelins are made in USA.

So far, I am very pleased with the Sumitomo Encounter tires.

·
Premium Member
4,001 Posts
Thanks for posting this.

I have found the Michelin Defender have a better rubber compound and hopefully will not weathercheck like the 70K mile MS2.

Discount Tire told me on Saturday that the MS2 were not lasting the 70K miles and too many warranty claims were being submitted and that is why they kicked it down to 50K on the Defender. They also increased the channel width between rows of lugs and I find the Defender picks up alot more small stones and throws them.

I will be interested to hear how your new brand of tire holds up over the years.

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for posting this.

I have found the Michelin Defender have a better rubber compound and hopefully will not weathercheck like the 70K mile MS2.

Discount Tire told me on Saturday that the MS2 were not lasting the 70K miles and too many warranty claims were being submitted and that is why they kicked it down to 50K on the Defender. They also increased the channel width between rows of lugs and I find the Defender picks up alot more small stones and throws them.

I will be interested to hear how your new brand of tire holds up over the years.
I'll let you know how they are holding up once I get some mileage on them.

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
10,000 mile, seven month update report on Sumitomo Encounter tires.

So far so good. Seven months and 10,000 miles later, the tires are doing great. Traction is good in rain, snow and dry on-road conditions. Wear is great. They are on pace to make 60,000 miles. The new tire tread depth was 16/32. Today, after 10,000 miles and seven months, I measured the tread depth, and it is exactly 16/32 inch, which is what it was when the tires were installed.

·
Premium Member
4,001 Posts
Don,

Thanks for the follow-up.

Always interesting to hear personal experience. Are you towing much?

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
1 - 6 of 6 Posts