The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally ventured over to the sidebar on the home page and found the "official" website screensaver. WOW!!...now that is really a sight! Another job well done by JL & Co.!!

Matter of fact I liked it so much I took a copy to work and installed it on the LAN terminal giving Sherman's Lagoon a breather. But had a problem there with it...

See,where I work there are number of Ford diesel enthusiasts (to say the least)passing by the monitor at all hours.Since the screensaver mysteriously appeared it could be heard over the usual din,"HEY! WHERE ARE THE NEW SUPERDUTIES??" and "YA GOT A PENCIL? I WANNA COPY DOWN THIS WEBSITE." HHmmm....

Figuring it best to lay low and hide in a corner no distinguishable utterances parted my lips.Nor did I offer a writng instrument.

My question is...shoud I remain anonymous and keep this site to myself or maintain a stock of sharpened pencils? Even prop an 8" x 10" glossy of my truck next to the workstation?
After all I have get SOME work done.

Perhaps someone can help me out here with a better solution before I'm forced to revive all the screaming fish again!! Thanks!!

Drowning in dilemma,...and work,

Hizzy

·
Premium Member
18,870 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by HIZZY:
Merely posted so that someone with "heavy pull and slick grease" with management could help get it updated. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Good idea. Maybe Mrs. JL will see this thread.

·
Premium Member
18,870 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by HIZZY:
Finally ventured over to the sidebar on the home page and found the "official" website screensaver. WOW!!...now that is really a sight! Another job well done by JL & Co.!! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You didn't notice it was just a bit biased toward the HeavyDuty PSDs like the one the WebMaster drives, and had barely a smidgen of a SuperDuty floating across the screen?

And you didn't notice that the website shown in that screensaver [ www.abol.com/users/jlester ] is the OLD website for this bunch of diesel fans - that hasn't been used since last April?

Yeah, JL did a good job on that one. But like a lot of things in this business, it's already obsolete by now.

So Jason, why not turn that project over to your new photos editor who will update that screensaver with at least a few more of the current-model trucks - and a proper website reference?

------------------
Ford-Diesel.com is a member-supported website, for more info: Click here. ........ Ole retired guy in west Texas with Darling Wife and Sierra Blanca - the white mountain of a '99.5 F250 diesel-powered CrewCab.

[This message has been edited by SmokeyWren (edited 01-09-2000).]

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Of course!!

Sure I noticed the dated particulars on the screensaver. So did all the viewers but they didn't realize after the fact. Poor guys are "beating a dead website."

Merely posted so that someone with "heavy pull and slick grease" with management could help get it updated!!

Hizzy

------------------
"Bright Amber" '99 350CC SRW LB4WD,power slider,AHS,Lunded,etc...everything but an ambulance!!

·
Premium Member
3,631 Posts
A new, updated screensaver has been created and is in the process of being downloaded to Jason to get posted up on the site. It should be available soon. Keep checking the downloads section. Thanks.

Dick Cutting,
Photo Editor

·
Premium Member
18,870 Posts
Merely posted so that someone with "heavy pull and slick grease" with management could help get it updated!! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, looks like it worked. Dick Cutting saw our moaning and groaning and fixed us up, toot sweet! I thought the soundtrack he added was neat!

So take the new one to the office, and turn up the volume on your speakers.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
AAWWWRriigghhttttt DICK !!!

SUPER Super Duty screensaver !!!!

We owe ya a case of KUDO's nowww.. if I can get the sound to work?? huh??

Need a tip here...how do ya load 1.9MB onna 1.4 disk?? Sorta like mixin' FL-16 ??? I dunno....

Great job Folks!!!!

Hizzy

p.s. How many of those trucks are Jason's??

·
Premium Member
18,870 Posts
>>>Need a tip here...how do ya load 1.9MB onna 1.4 disk??<<<

Zip the file first. Use PKZip, WINZip, something like that. I haven't done it to that file, but it should get it well below 1.44 MB.

And BTW, be sure to take the unZipper program with you when you transport the file.

Or, if you have internet where you want the copy of the file, just d/l it again where you want it. Maybe?

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SmokeyWren:
Zip the file first. Use PKZip, WINZip, something like that. I haven't done it to that file, but it should get it well below 1.44 MB.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sorry, Smokey, but you can't squeeze .ZIP files or .EXE files. Technically, you can squeeze .EXE files, but since executables are already so tightly compressed, you can't get much out of them. I tried it in order to be able to quote some numbers, and this one only compresses to 1.81MB in size. Still too big to fit on a floppy. On the other hand, you can use PKZip or WinZip to span multiple floppies. The steps are a little different depanding on which program you're using, but they will let you stick in a second floppy when the first gets filled up.

Another possibility is e-mailing it to the person with the other computer.

------------------
Why do you press harder on a remote-control when you know the battery is dead?
My shortened list of options: 1FTWW32F6XEE12366 Click here to decode it!
Click here to check out my PSD pictures!

·
Premium Member
3,631 Posts
Sorry about the size guys/gals, but I wanted a decent display of pics and did not want to compress them real hard before making the program. I was striving for quality photos, ones that spin heads when someone goes by your PC. Also stuck the sound in there to fix up anyone suffering from PSD withdrawals. Zipping them across a couple of discs works or just e-mail them, provided your e-mail box is large enough. Thanks for the compliments.

·
Registered
4,417 Posts
Hey Gang!
I downloaded the new screensaver and must say it's very cool. I'm running WinNT 4 here at work and when I try to get the sound working, it gives me an error that I "don't have a wave device to play the files in the current format." What is the format of soundtrack files?
Thanks,
JazzBass

[This message has been edited by JazzBass (edited 01-14-2000).]

·
Registered
76 Posts
Gotta love the new screen saver!!!!! Thanks Dick. FYI, I'm running it on NT4.0 with no problems.

One question, is there any way I can put my own photos in the screen saver on my own machine?

Thanks,

PK Davis

------------------
99.5 F250 PSD CC Lariat 4x4 SWB

·
Registered
325 Posts
Great screen saver--but i don't get any sound anyone else experiencing this problem??

·
Premium Member
3,631 Posts
Thanks for the comments on the Screensaver.

<JazzBass> The format for the sound file is .wav It is the same file that is in the download section called idle.wav.

<Zeke> The format of this screensaver is that all the images are rolled together into one file and not of the type that "pulls" images from a separate directory on your hard drive. So the answer would be no, you can't substitute or add images to my knowledge or expertise.

Just happened to think, but those with sound problems might want to check to make sure that the sound button is checked to "on". Click on the settings button on the screensaver tab of "display properties" to check other options also.

Dick

------------------
Ford-Diesel.Com Photo Editor
June '97 Reg Cab F350 XLT 4x4 SRW Loaded /CD

[This message has been edited by Dick Cutting (edited 01-14-2000).]

1 - 15 of 15 Posts