The Diesel Stop banner

Superduty headlights

14K views 43 replies 20 participants last post by  ArcticDriver 
#1 ·
So just got a 2000 7.3 and pretty much only complaint I have is the headlights are the worst I ever seen. Bad enough I hit a deer first night I had it. No damage thank god. So I did install a 30" led bar on bumper hooked direct to high beams and 2 4x4 cube led for low beams. Question is what are best replacement headlights. While assemb and not just bulbs. Thanks

#2 ·
'01 + clear lensed housings are a direct fit, use the same bulbs and throw way more light than the '99-'00 "glaucoma" lights. Can sometimes pick them up pretty cheap.

'05-'07 lights look better but require you to cut the header panel and splice a different pig tail on the wire (part I really didn't like as it's smaller gauge wire.)

Both are way brighter.

#3 · (Edited)
#4 ·
You can also get TYC from RockAuto for $28 each. I've got a set and they are as good or better quality than the OEM. Even came with new bulbs when I ordered mine.

#10 ·
These one seem to be in the right price range.:thumbsup:

#8 ·
I think it does but I'm not sure. I use AutoGuide. It works really nice, in fact, everything I've been doing on here is from that app. Ever heard of it? Ya gotta have an iPhone tho.

'99 F250 7.3, CC, SB, Lariat, Auto, 4x4, 265/75R16's, 3.73 Gears, K&N Drop-In, 3.5" Turbo Back Straight Thro.

#9 ·
#11 ·
I got some Dorman replacements headlights 2004 year version from Summit Racing. I am real pleased with them and how they project so much better than the OEM 1999 style and also some other off brand cheapos I had before. I'd recommend them...about $40 each IIRC.

#13 ·
They look brand new. Not even a hint of cloudiness.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: ArcticDriver
#14 ·
Thanks for the feedback.

I just placed my order at Rock Auto for a savings of $180. :thumbsup:

#15 ·
Do you have a part# or link?

#16 ·
Reactions: 69mach1377
#18 ·
I just bought a set from Headlights Depot...
The 05-07 headlights upgrade for my Y2K-X...
I haven't had time yet, to take the old ones out ,and cut the header panel to put them in...
Looking forward to upgrading the looks of my truck
In the box, the headlights look pretty good
They come with everything you need ....
Bulbs, Pig tail adapter, and some inadequate instructions...
Price was good...$107 ????

#19 · (Edited)
Well I have purchased both an original Ford headlight ($144) and TYC ($26) headlight in the Aero style with the 2002+ lens design that has a smooth lens vs the earlier model years fluted lens.

I was fully expecting to see a bit lesser quality in the TYC which would be completely understandable given the price difference of $118.

I am surprised to say that even with my trusty magnifying glass I cannot find anything superior in the quality or build of the Motorcraft. In fact, the TYC actually weighs slightly more. The molds are nearly identical. Inside the lens, the designs are identical. The seams where the clear lens meets the grey housing appears equally sealed for water tightness.

The only visual difference are the adjuster screws on the Ford are metal while the TYC are plastic.

The only test remaining is to see how the plastic lens on the aftermarket TYC holds up to UV light over a few years but up here at 8,300' I always treat my plastic with the Meguiars Plast-X Clear Plastic Protector or similar wax so I can't really do that UV test.

Bottom line, RT just saved me about $236 by suggesting the TYC brand from Rock Auto.

Thanks RT.

#21 ·
Still happy with them? Got any pics of them installed? Any issues with adjustment?

#20 ·
Thanks for the update.
I use the clear headlight film on mine to protect them from several things including sun light. Xpel brand lately.

#22 ·
Yes, still happy.
Just installed a pair on the 2nd truck since it makes the trucks look so well taken of.

Equal to factory originals in all regards...i.e adjustments and light dispersement.

installation is simple except removing the old ones is a bit of a PIA. Much easier to remove batteries to gain access but driver side is still a bit tricky. Its the bottom attachment that is tough but the two upper attachments just require removal of 2 clips. This would be the case for any Aero style light.

Reactions: 69mach1377
#24 ·
I'm sorry to report that the Dorman ones I bought back when from Summit Racing both had the little chrome piece inside of the light that covers the actual bulb both popped loose after about 6 months of use and have been rattling around inside of the lenses for a couple of years now. To tell you th e truth I can't see a difference in the light output so I've just left them for now...kind of tacky, I know...but they work. I just wouldn't ever recommend the Dorman brand of lights to anyone after my experience with them.

Reactions: TWO4ONEPRICE
#26 ·
Sorry about your issue with the headlights. On my AKKORN lights, there seems to be access to the inside via retainer clips holding the lens. Do you not have that on the Dorman? See the silver clips on mine. There are three more clips at the bottom of each light.

Attachments

#25 ·
@losfinch

Thats the kind of feedback that helps.

Reactions: TWO4ONEPRICE
#27 ·
I have had the TYC brand for 10 years or more. The lens is still clear. I just ordered a new TYC passenger headlight because I hit a deep pothole and broke the headlight where it adjusts.

#29 ·
IIRC Visteon is a ford company and has been for years. I used to work at Ford Microelectonics/visteon over 20yrs ago.

I recently replaced my headlights on my 03 with factory ford/visteon lights as i will not use aftermarket parts. I bought them from a ford dealer on ebay, paid $226 shipped for the pr. also bought better quality bulbs (not the high dollar ones either)which made a huge difference. I can actually see the road at night now.

just in case, I also bought the headlight harness from dfuser because i didn't feel like sourcing my own parts this time around. I think it helped but not as much as many claim. the quality is good but could still be better.

biggest improvement was headlight housings and bulbs. they came with sylvania bulbs but I took those out.

#30 · (Edited)
INFRNL,
The UV clouds up headlight housings very bad here.
I replaced my first trucks headlights using genuine Ford from White Bear Lake. I replaced my current trucks housings with aftermarket (TYC ?) and I think the light pattern is slightly worse. The moldings might be slightly different than genuine Ford.

I do pay the extra for Sylvania SilverStar Ultra Halogen. They last about 18-24 months for $25/each.

#35 ·
Everything here at altitude is tougher on us. I have already replaced my headlights, so we will see how they hold up this time around. If/when they get messed up enough to make me replace them again; I will see how yours did. Definitely can't beat the price you paid. If they look like the factory 03 lights; I might be in.

Thanks for all your input

#31 ·
I don't believe Ford has any interest in Visteon now. Ford and GM both shed almost all parts manufacturing companies they owned. Motorcraft is mostly a brand sticking parts made by the OE supplier in their bags and boxes.

#32 ·
I don't believe Ford has any interest in Visteon now. Ford and GM both shed almost all parts manufacturing companies they owned.
Ford spun off Visteon back in 2000.
Motorcraft is mostly a brand sticking parts made by the OE supplier in their bags and boxes.
You forgot the part about Motorcraft jacking up the price. Things like the International supplied GPR in a Motorcraft box for twice the price.

#36 ·
I'm at 5000 feet also and polished my headlights to clear a few years back followed by a layer of very light blue tinted film. They still look clear but the film lost any trace of blue, so I'm happy with that effort.

#39 ·
I have had luck with this product applied about every 4 months.
Meguiars “Headlight Protectant”.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.