The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, it sounds like it shifts to 4WD, at least I hear the clunk, but no power to the front wheels while I drove to work this morning in the snow. I haven't physically locked the hubs to verify if the drive train is actually turning, but, not what my question is anyway. The King Ranch is supposed to have auto hubs, so my question is, how much has it changed since the 99 MY trucks? I had autohubs on the 99 that didn't work and had to go through all kinds of BS to replace o-rings and such to get them working.

·
Registered
4,675 Posts
As far as the automatic hubs are concerned, the principals of operation have changed a bit but not a lot. Your 1999 truck used a pulse-vac system that used a momentary application of vacuum sent to the 4X4 hubs to engage and disengage. The 2011 and newer trucks apply a constant supply of vacuum to the hubs to engage them and turns off and vents the vacuum to release them The parts involved in this process are similar and the same failures apply. The most common failure in this system remains vavuum leaks predominanty the large seal in the axle shafts at the steering knuckles. So, you are potentially looking at a similar experience as you had to deal with in the past BUT I would never just assume that is the root cause of the failure. A little bit of diagnostics is in order.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, after further research, apparently auto hubs on the King Ranch in 2012 are not standard equipment. I have a copy of the original sticker, and it lists manual locking hubs under standard, but no where under options are auto lock hubs listed. I will have to crawl under to verify, but that would explain why I had no 4WD. DOH!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts