The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just swapped my dash lights to LED, and I'm seeing a weird problem. The ABS light comes on at bulb check, i.e. turning ignition on, but then stays lit at a slightly lower intensity. The amp light gradually increases in intensity as rpm increases. Also 2 needles aren't being lit very well. Anyone know what's going on? What do I need to do?

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Some of the dash bulbs (particularly the warning lights) are not simply ON-OFF lights; they're part of the warning circuits, and perform other functions (low-current ground or voltage monitoring). Those circuits were designed specifically to have incandescent filaments at those locations, which work very much like other wires. LEDs do not work that way. They're essentially open-circuit (unplugged, removed) in their reverse direction, and EXTREMELY-high resistance in their forward direction - even moreso when voltage is below the threshold (usually ~0.7VDC). They also light with SIGNIFICANTLY-less forward current than incandescents, which is why they may glow when the original bulb didn't.

The short answer is: put the correct bulbs in. At least the warning locations. The illumination bulbs can generally be swapped for LED, provided that you get the polarity correct. Try reversing the ones that aren't lighting their gauges.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Alright, I appreciate it. I'll swap em out for incandescents. All the illumination LEDs are lit, it's just a couple of needles that don't light up. Strange to me but the face was a little loose and I straightened and centered it as perfect as I could get it, then put a light adhesive on the back. Helped some but not much.

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Yes, the adhesive used to hold the faces on these gauges is letting go - on all of them; not just yours. I generally use clear E6000 to put them back on because it doesn't interfere with the backlighting, and it's VERY strong.

https://www.supermotors.net/registry/media/747795 (for phone apps)

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think I'll do the rest with some E6000. I have some in the garage. Still not getting much if any light behind those needles, so... I suppose I'll just say screw it for now. I can see em.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts