The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am planing to change over to synthetic engine oil and I am wondering what oil change interval I should be looking at? Also what brand of oil are people using.

Thanks

·
Registered
212 Posts
The interval is dependent on the condition of your engine... To know that, you'll likely need to do an oil analysis such as what Blackstone Laboratories offers- and where I send mine, fwiw...

You may find you need to change every 3k, or, you may find you can push it out to 15k+.... all based on the condition of the engine, the type of use, and environment... generally speaking, oil doesn't wear out (though the additives deplete), it contaminates to the point of exhaustion/depletion.

I use Schaeffers 9000 5w40 and a shot of Archoil9100 for oil- as far as I'm concerned, the 9000 is the best oil we can reasonably use - there are some better, but are too specific for purpose to suit my personal needs, or are too expensive to consider. I also use an amsoil bypass filter, and wish I would have used one from the very beginning as my oil has that trademark Schaeffer's green tint to it all the way to 3k miles, and doesn't even hint to black until around 6k miles... my last interval was 12k miles, and blackstone told me to keep on going- but that's where I draw my personal line... :)

I'm not a fan of T6, T5, or T1- I find that Rotella (shell) always results in higher aluminum counts in my rig, that the Schaeffers doesn't have. Mobile1 is what I would run if I lived in silly cold environments... Delvac is good stuff according to many users... but.. all this said: the one that works is the one that is changed often enough that you're not running contaminants through your engine all the time, whether it is syn or dino, pure group three or straight ester group five synthetic like blue flame or redline (which are racing oils, not cj4 rated, and lacking things to make them last beyond 500 miles)...

so.... any oil carrying the rating for your engine, and let the lab analyze it to determine intervals is the only logical way to go...

·
Registered
9,679 Posts
I am planing to change over to synthetic engine oil and I am wondering what oil change interval I should be looking at? Also what brand of oil are people using.

Thanks
I would change it at the same intervals as non-synthetic and i would use Delo 5w-40 or Rotella 5w-40, whichever was the cheapest at Walmart.

·
Registered
2,846 Posts
With standard filtration 5k miles is it.

I have run delo 5w-40 and rotella t6 5w-40.

The delo is only 19 bucks a Gallon which is cheap for synthetic.

Shaeffers is better but pricey, and unless you have better filtration it's not worth it because you can't run as long between OCI.

·
Premium Member
4,341 Posts
I use Rotella T-6 (5W-40) and a Motorcraft 1995 oil filter.

Wal-Mart sells the oil at $19.50/gallon and the filter is $10. (For comparison, the Schaeffer 9000 is around $34/gallon.)

I have kept the Oil Change Interval (OCI) at 5,000 miles but my Blackstone Report indicates I could extend it to 7K-8K miles.

Here is a nice write up by the very knowledgable Bob-Is-The-Oil-Guy (BITOG). He explains "shear" which is an issue with our 7.3 PowerStroke.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/oilshear.htm

·
Registered
2,846 Posts
T6 doesn't hold up to shear very well. Send full full force an email an ask him. He can tell when people use t6 with these injectors.

·
Premium Member
4,341 Posts
T6 doesn't hold up to shear very well. Send full full force an email an ask him. He can tell when people use t6 with these injectors.
Blue,

I didn't know that. My Blackstone tests have come back within range for the two viscosity measures it reports (5K-mile OCI).

Does the type of injector make a difference?

I will contact FF as you suggest.:thumbsup:

Thanks

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Rotella 5w-40 has worked fine for hundreds of thousands of miles in both my trucks FWIW.

·
Premium Member
7,934 Posts
Gets rid of winter time romp and stalls that repat two or three times till the romping stops once all injectors come to life, if you didn't kill your batteries with all the repeated glow plug and cranking time. Which is fun at 0 degrees at 3:00am and there is a blizzard.

But
Poor sear rating, huh?

·
Premium Member
7,934 Posts
Well after an hour if reading on the net the only negative thing I find, is its high Zinc and phosphorus additives can poison a catalytic converter.
Tractor trailers and gen packs that use that stuff do great and that's shear force.
I emailed that guy from his contact deal at bottom of page. Maybe he can direct me to a page with lab numbers or something. It's a know great oil with a great track record so I'm very anxious to see what light he can shed because he seems to be a,one on that issue after looking around for an hour.

·
Premium Member
4,341 Posts
My Blackstone analysis was @ 5K miles using Rotella T-6 using the ASTM D445 test for Kinematic Viscosity.

The Viscosity measurement was 13.16 (cSt Viscosity @ 100* C) and the acceptable range was between 11.9-15.3. The Shell website reports T6 is rated at 14.09 when new.

In other words, my T6 retained the shear Viscosity of a 40 weight oil for its entire 5K-mile service life.

Not that I am contesting the observations of Full Force in any way with this single sample size of mine. I would be interested in the Blackstone reports from other oils at a similar OCI. Also curious if different injectors produce different results.

·
Premium Member
7,934 Posts
Can they check the anti foaming ability cause that's a deal for us with that hydro pump drawing from the crankcase as its oil source. Hydro pumps usually draw from a much more stabile supply. Those agents wear out and we aerate.

·
Premium Member
4,341 Posts
Two of these 5 analysis are with 5w-40 synthetic oil, two of them are with Rotella 15w-40, and one of them is with Delo 15w-40. Can you identify which is which.

View attachment 82586
Its a difficult comparison since it spans 10 years and even the same type & grade of oil has experienced changes to its additives in that time but I will throw my hat in the ring:

10/20/15 -- Synthetic 5W-40
8/19/13 -- Synthetic 5W-40
3/21/11 -- Delo 15W-40
12/20/07 -- Rotella 15W-40
8/01/05 -- Rotella 15W-40

Its interesting to see the low Moly on the earliest two samples since that is back when guys were still arguing its benefit.

Also the use of Calcium instead of Magnesium in the first two samples. Both which are used as a Detergent and to suspend particulants.

·
Registered
9,679 Posts
Your Analysis analysis was a good one. One thing I will add, the Rotella samples were an old and a new formulation.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Just like we were taught in grade school:

Shear, and shear alike.

Based on reading that Blackstone Report of 444-4D's, whenever he decides to sell his truck, someone is going to get a good one!

·
Registered
9,679 Posts
When I decide to sell it, It is probably going to be used up. Every once in a while I get in the mood for a new one. I go look at a few window stickers and ask how much the will pay for mine and it gets me out of the mood.

·
Premium Member
4,341 Posts
1 - 20 of 23 Posts