The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Purchased a 2008 sunnybrook fifth wheel to replace 99 coachman also purchased superglid hitch I have a 2003 f250 super duty that was converted to a dually flat bed other hitch work fine but new camper to close to cab purchased other hitch problum is from ground to top of hitch 39.5 inches and hitch is from top of bed is 18.5 so that 58 so camper hooked up it's a little over 14-feet hitch cannot be modified has anyone modified a king box I would like to cut off past nose of camper weld vertical plate and and put the cut piece back on and add gussets so it would raise pin but lower camper been certified welder or 40+ years think it work but has anyone else done something like this

·
Registered
354 Posts
Its hard to tell from your description exactly what you are planning. Pictures would help.

The pinboxes on some fifth wheels are pure crap. If you've been welding for 40 years you should be able to recognize a crap build. Just use common sense. Its not rocket surgery. No matter how good a job you do on your modifications you're still depending on whatever the original builder put in place. I'd be looking for ways to tie whatever mods I was making back into the trailer frame. And I'd look for ways to use bolts in the attachment. Bolted joints will flex; welded joints crack.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts