The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am planning ahead while waiting for the build and delivery of my Super Duty and and am wondering what the current tailgate locks have to offer.

Are they really needed if you have the tailgate "locked"? I live in Wisconsin and haven't heard much discussion locally that theft is an issue here. I know some locks can be purchased for around $20 so that is great insurance. Anyhow just looking for opinions...

SUPERDUTY-------------------------------SUPERDUTY

As ordered: Feb 23, 2016: 2016 F250 Super Duty , Supercab, XLT value package, Ruby Red Metallic, 6.7L , 40/20/40 split bench seat (I like the leg room) / trailer tow package / 17" cast aluminum wheels with LT265 tires / 3.55 electronic locker / snow plow package / wheel well liners / upfitter switches / rear view camera. :laugh2:

2006 F250 Super Duty XLT 6.0 L Supercab Short bed = Sold already
2004 F350 Super Duty XLT 7.3 L Supercab Short bed = Traded
2002 F250 Super Duty XLT 7.3 L Crew Cab Short bed = Traded
1996 F250 Super Duty XL 6.9 L Regular Cab Long Bed = Sold
1979 F250 XLT 400 CI Regular Cab Long bed = Sold
1971 F100 Regular Cab Long Bed = Sold. I wish I would have kept this one!

·
Premium Member
9,585 Posts
Here is some reading for you.

It is my opinion but for anything that is as easy to steal as a tailgate every little bit helps.

·
Registered
19 Posts
After reading the threads on tailgate theft and poor choice of available locks, I have joined the cautious and come up with a solution for my particular rig. I have a DiamondBack tonneau and plan to run a 3/16" cable from the tonneau bed rail clamp to a D-ring inserted around the shaft for the tailgate step stripper pole. With the tailgate up I will latch into the D-ring with a turnbuckle that can be easily turned to make the cable taut. In order to open the tailgate, I will have to unlock and lift the back half of the tonneau and slack the cable enough to unhook the cable from the D-ring.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Here is some reading for you.

It is my opinion but for anything that is as easy to steal as a tailgate every little bit helps.
Thanks bugman,
Lots of info there. I agree, for as little as the locks cost, it's a no brainer compared to the replacement cost.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
After reading the threads on tailgate theft and poor choice of available locks, I have joined the cautious and come up with a solution for my particular rig. I have a DiamondBack tonneau and plan to run a 3/16" cable from the tonneau bed rail clamp to a D-ring inserted around the shaft for the tailgate step stripper pole. With the tailgate up I will latch into the D-ring with a turnbuckle that can be easily turned to make the cable taut. In order to open the tailgate, I will have to unlock and lift the back half of the tonneau and slack the cable enough to unhook the cable from the D-ring.
Sounds interesting NWRVR.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I actually had my tailgate stolen on the 27th of February. Truck was in my driveway and was there at 12:30 AM. Up for work at 6:00 AM and it was gone. I live in Racine County, Union Grove area

·
Registered
26 Posts
It's about $4,000.00 with parts and pain to replace (new). This was with backup camera, Tailgate step, and rhino lining.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well that's sad news 09F3506.4. And since I live in the same general area as you, I can no longer state that I haven't heard much discussion locally :(

I will be taking all the precautions necessary to "lock mine down"

Welding something on is starting sound necessary.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Well I picked up a McGard tailgate lock yesterday at a local parts dealer. It was the only one in stock at the store.

I figure that should work fine unless / until I find something better. I just wanted something ASAP since my truck is on its way.

I'll report what i think of the McGard after it is on my truck.

Reactions: LtColAndyTanner

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks!
And happy Easter to everyone :)

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have the McGard on my tailgate. Was easy to install and seems like a decent deterrent.

·
Registered
348 Posts
I have the McGard on my tailgate. Was easy to install and seems like a decent deterrent.
Reading some of the reviews on Amazon (which usually can be taken with a grain of salt) it seems this one is easily defeated. Does it seem to be fairly solid and works as intended? I am looking for something for my tailgate as well, though I do keep it locked all the time and the Leer cover "blocks" the tailgate from opening when it is closed and I keep it locked too.

Thanks for your thoughts.

·
Registered
39 Posts
The conventional wisdom is that you just want to create a minute or two of delay so a thief is dissuaded from taking yours and goes on to others. There's some truth in that, but not entirely. If you're parked in a hotel parking lot on the highway at night, almost anything can happen to your truck. Durable protection is critical here, and we can't assume that we're always going to be where public view will make thieves shy away from your truck without a second thought.

With that in mind, and figuring that more things happen in the dark, I've assumed that multiple protection systems help here. If your tailgate is locked to begin with, then you have a hinge release lock, it's at least a two-step process in the dark. I got an auto body touchup paint pen and wrote the VIN in big numbers on the edge of the tailgate where they aren't visible when it's closed but can't be missed when it's closed. The body paint is pretty durable and with a brush of clear coat over it, will be difficult to remove. That adds a third step to dissuading crooks. Make sure the number is big enough that no one can miss it, and so it'll be quite a repair job to get rid of it.

Next: I tried and really like the idea of a big fender washer over the quick release cable retaining bolts on the sides of the box. The idea here is to eliminate the wider opening so the cables can be popped off the box. Remove that big silver torx bolt that the cables hang on, insert a fender washer under the bolt, and reinstall it with some medium-grade thread locker over the end of the tailgate cable. Done right, you should be able to raise and drop the tailgate at will, but not get the tailgate cable off the retaining bolt. To remove the tailgate at this point, you'll have to take a big long torx wrench to pop that bolt loose again.

Next: I'd put a big sticker on the back. The more you personalize your tailgate, generally, the less a thief wants it. I'll customize the inside of the tailgate a bit more and keep doing things to the tailgate I'd like anyway and that make it less appealing. People want that generic tailgate, not a custom one.

And of course, always try to park with your rear bumper backed right up to a wall or light post. If they can't get the tailgate down, they can't get it off.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Has anyone had their DiamonBack broken into?

Attachments

·
Registered
108 Posts
Tailgate security

FYI
Remove the two bolts that hold the gate pivot .
Drill , tap and screw a 1/4 or 3/8 bolt thru the center of the pivot ,
reinstall the bracket, now you have one more defense against
Tailgate theft.

All the other suggestions are great also.

John M

·
Registered
108 Posts
Remove the right side bracket that the gate pivots on.
Drill , tap and screw a 1/4 to3/8 by 1 1/2 " long bolt
through the center of the bracket, reattach bracket, now you have one more
line of defense ,plus it cost almost nothing to do.

good luck, stay safe.

John M

·
Registered
348 Posts
Remove the right side bracket that the gate pivots on.
Drill , tap and screw a 1/4 to3/8 by 1 1/2 " long bolt
through the center of the bracket, reattach bracket, now you have one more
line of defense ,plus it cost almost nothing to do.

good luck, stay safe.

John M
Do you have a picture of this setup?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Finally got the truck yesterday and installed the Mcgard lock.

It looks like a good deterrent. At least someone would have to work at it for a bit with tools etc. So it won't be a quick steal.

Attachments

·
Registered
345 Posts
That looks great wood fitter, I use a 1-1/2 hose clamp , thieves wil have to be prepared

1 - 20 of 22 Posts