The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it possible to retrofit the tailgate step into a 2018? When I ordered the truck, I didn't think I needed it. Now I know I do. Getting old isn't for wimps!

·
Registered
121 Posts
i hear ya. I ordered my 19 without a step and it sucks climbing over a 1 ton bed.

Have you looked at aftermarket stuff? They make a pretty sweet step that is tucked under the bumper that I've been eyeing up. Spendy but would fit my needs.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i hear ya. I ordered my 19 without a step and it sucks climbing over a 1 ton bed.

Have you looked at aftermarket stuff? They make a pretty sweet step that is tucked under the bumper that I've been eyeing up. Spendy but would fit my needs.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The kit you mentioned looks pretty reasonable. I think I will do some research on after market steps. Thanks

·
Registered
121 Posts
Otherwise, try to find a used one. You'll have to pay an arm and two legs to have a body shop paint it and then the decals probably wont match.

Or buy a new one and then pay a body shop your liver and maybe both legs and you'll still have to buy all new decals to make it match.

·
Registered
789 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,162 Posts
Easier to get a swapped off gate, but then finding your paint code could be uphill.
I think the frame/gate construction is quite different between the non-step and step models so "adding on" OE parts might not be possible.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Something else to consider, is an aftermarket rear bumper with a step built in. The tailgate step is nice, but when you use these trucks for what they were made to do (tow), then the step becomes useless. As much as I hate to admit it, the step in cheby's bumper is usable more of the time.

Also, there are aftermarket running boards that extend to the rear tires so accessing the front of the bed is easier.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Move bumpers does make a rear bumper with a step for the 2017-2019 and even the 2020 model.

I have their front bumper sitting in a box waiting to be welded up (paying the truck off in August so then I can weld it up and install it). I built the front for my old ford and loved it. You can literally run into anything and push it over. Super strong and cheap (if you know how to grind, weld, fabricate, install, wire, solder and paint lol). Not for the faint of heart but if you have the skills and tools, its super cheap compared to those china made bumpers from a catalog that cost well over 2k.

DIY Heavy Duty Custom Truck Bumpers | MOVE Bumpers make a kit that incorporates a step. I'd personally go the aftermarket route with the step in the bumper. Like someone else stated, when you have a trailer hooked up the tailgate step is useless.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts