The Diesel Stop banner

Tailgate Swap - Can I Swap Lock/Camera?

2K views 12 replies 4 participants last post by  Roadrunner II 
#1 ·
2012 F350 SC 4x4. Tore up my tailgate. Looking at a 2011 with the pull out step. Can I swap the handle/key lock/camera from mine w/o step to the one with the step?

#2 ·
Can't see why not. Just need to thread the camera wires down thru bottom. Camera is mounted on bottom of ford logo. Call a Ford parts dept and compare part number on step gate to non for logo with camera. It's likely the same. You will luv the step tailgate. Handiest thing for getting in

RoadrunnerII

Sent from my SM-A515F using Tapatalk

Reactions: rprice
#9 ·
Just rethinking this.. Long as you are able to swap the camera assembly..there are no other electronic wiring things in the tailgate. So it should be a non issue blis and Lane departure are from the 2017 and newer. Rear senses are in bumper not tailgate
Since there is a plug connection for the camera it should be easy peasy

RoadrunnerII

#3 ·
As for the handle and lock it's held on by two studs with nuts. It grabs the rods to release each latch with plastic snap over clips. I had mine out to add an electric lock threaded wires from passenger side front kick plate. Just patched into the electric door lock wires. Bought the actuator off ebay cheap.

RoadrunnerII

#6 ·
Got to be careful with the tailgate swap. Mines in the shop now. Long story short. I bought a 2017 F-250 Super Duty Lariat, last Saturday. The tailgate was somewhat messed up. They agreed to swap the step gate with another one one the lot. Went this morning to have it swapped. The wiring harness wasn’t the exact match. They used it and sent me on my way. 30 miles down the road, everything started going haywire. The a/c wouldn’t work, the touchscreen was malfunctioning. The power windows wouldn’t work. Took it back, and when the service manager heard what they did, he knew the tailgate harness screwed it all up, so now I’m in a loaner truck while they fix my truck.

#7 ·
The issue there is a network failure likely caused by a wiring concern. This is why swapping things in late model vehicles is not wise. In the back of your trucks... depending on the options... there are things like Blind Spot Information System or BLIS, LED tail lamp assemblies, trailer tow tire pressure monitoring or TPMS and trailer remote camera systems that use network circuits to function. If the wiring harness is not built the same from one tailgate to another then then there is a distinct possibility that the networks circuits are now "open" which would explain the things you report are no longer working as they all share the same network. There is also a possibility that there is a connector in the rear of the truck that is not fully seated.

Reactions: rprice
#10 ·
Yes.... provided the technician can diagnose it. Unfortunately since they decided to swap parts instead of repairing whatever was wrong in the first place you all now have an issue. I am actually surprised the truck made it out of the service bay let alone down the road before the "effect" of this swap was apparent.

#11 ·
Yeah mine is a 12 and tailgate I found is off an 11, so should be exact same setup with exception of the step. Only thing I have electric in the gate is the camera in the handle bezel. I have it on hold, just have to go get it next week. 👍👍
Might have to get with you on the electric lock conversion once I get it....👍

#12 ·
Update: got the tailgate and it works great! Took my handle with the camera and lock in it off and switched it to new one. No problem at all. Used a piece of baling wire to fish wire harness through - not too bad though. I also installed an electric door lock actuator I got off Amazon for like $20 so that my gate locks/unlocks with the doors. I added the 2 wires for that alongside the camera harness and fished it all at once. Connected the 2 wires to the rear door lock actuator wires on passenger side. Works like a champ! 👍👍

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.