The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. I have recently returned to the land of diesel after a ten year break driving a gasser. I currently have a 2019 F250. I would like to tap into the overhead console upfitter switch harness to power a dash cam. I want full time power controlled by the ignition switch and don't want to tie up one of my switches for the camera. Does anyone know if drawing additional power from this harness will mess up the computer?

·
Super Moderator
25,209 Posts
I can't be sure, not knowing the particulars, but as long as you don't pull enough power thru the circuit to drop the voltage that the computer sees, it should work OK. You need to check to see how much power the dash cam will draw (amps). If that and the existing load are below the fuse rating of the circuit, you should be fine.
I think there may be other key-on powered circuits you could use if you don't need a switch in the circuit. I know that the earlier trucks had a fused customer access wire that was hot with ignition on (I used mine for my add-on heated mirrors).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks.

The specs for the camera say 5 volts 1 amp. My plan was to dismantle a 12 volt USB converter and wire the camera through it. All of the other wiring in the OH console is really light gauge for the led lighting so I hesitate to tap those. I would think the only time tapping the upfitter harness would cause an issue is if all six switches were in use at the same time. Highly unlikely. Is there a chance of the computer permanently limiting power if it’s unhappy?

I guess it will be a trial and error venture.

·
Registered
4,761 Posts
I currently have a 2019 F250. I would like to tap into the overhead console upfitter switch harness to power a dash cam. I want full time power controlled by the ignition switch and don't want to tie up one of my switches for the camera. Does anyone know if drawing additional power from this harness will mess up the computer?
None of the upfitter circuits will cause damage to any module. In the roof console itself there are two circuits for the Upfitter switches that you can use: a Green wire with an Orange tracer (circuit CBP22) and another Green Wire with a Red tracer (circuit SB104). Both are 5 amp circuits Keep in mind the Green and Red wire will only work if you have not chosen to configure the Upfitter 1 and 2 switches to be hot at all times... aside from that it is spliced into the same fuse if it is configured to be hot only with the ignition on. Consult the attached wiring diagram for the details.

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for the explanation and wiring diagram. I have ordered a 12 v to 5v step down module and will get this task done once I receive it.

My question arises from reading somewhere that tapping into the reverse light circuit for an auto dimming rearview can cause issue with the BCM. I thought this may be the same.

·
Registered
4,761 Posts
Thank you for the explanation and wiring diagram. I have ordered a 12 v to 5v step down module and will get this task done once I receive it.

My question arises from reading somewhere that tapping into the reverse light circuit for an auto dimming rearview can cause issue with the BCM. I thought this may be the same.
While this circuit comes from the BCM/ smart junction box, the only thing you need to be concerned with is overloading the circuit. CBB22 is not an FET circuit therefore the module is not monitoring the circuit.

·
Premium Member
4,127 Posts
If you only need keyed power why not tap into the PTO harness. There's a switched hot wire there for using a PTO, as well as other things. You could even use it as a trigger wire for a relay on a separate harness if you wanted.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
After receiving the step down module and getting a warm day I managed to install this today. I used the green/red tracer wire. I soldered the power supply wires for the module to the power and ground of the harness and ran the USB plug out the front of the headliner above the rearview. A short USB cable was used from the plug to the camera. The module is double sided taped to the top of the console chasis. Thanks for the input.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts