The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, there are a few threads for my transmission pan that have been stripped. Some of them I have either re-tapped or ran a bolt all the way through with a nut.

However, there are some in the front that I am worried about.There is no place to put a nut on the other side of the bolts that are in the front part of the pan. The holes go right in the tranny. I stuck some copper tubing up in there just to make sure that it is open and I dont drill through anything else, it seemed fine to do. Now I am worried about drilling and tapping, which would cause small metal shards to be on top of the holes and possible mess something up. Do I need to worry about this?? Or does anyone have any other ideas of how I can fix this problem??

·
Super Moderator
25,874 Posts
Stick some wheel bearing grease in the hole before drilling and tapping. That will trap the chips. Be sure to wipe the grease out before reassembling.

·
Registered
5,104 Posts
Unfortunately I run into this frequently and I always drill and install a thread insert like a Heli-Coil.Typically I perform thread repairs when the pan is off but I have done one offs with the pan on. The grease truck mentioned works well.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
I usually grease the flutes of both drill and tap. Then wash it out, what gets away...well that's what good filters are for. I also use a heli-coil, or something like that because the aluminum won't last long if it's already worn out enough for you to have to make repairs

Reactions: klhansen
1 - 4 of 4 Posts