The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From maybe 7/16 to 9/16+ of full scale. Doubt this is a problem but just curious about it. Before the gauge would hang at less than 1/4.

·
Premium Member
9,843 Posts
Possibly just the thermostat or even the sender.

Mine stays right between the R and M

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
338 Posts
I have a 203 Dieselsite in my modified (Exhaust and intake) hauling truck for years now, still freaks out me during summer hard hauling when she starts to climb up above half. My bone stock truck temp barley moves. I have learned to live with it.
Did you just install this T stat maybe you are still working out some air in the system

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Possibly just the thermostat or even the sender.

Mine stays right between the R and M

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk
Well it isn't that much but I can see it. I am not aware of a problem getting these cooling systems bled but I will watch and see if it decreases. Sure have a powerful heater now!

·
Registered
338 Posts
The better heat in the winter has been my favorite part, Funny I was just thinking about that the other morning when it was 15 degrees and I had heat.

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
What are the brand, PN, source, & price of the 203/205°F t'stat?

·
Registered
338 Posts
Steve my 203 degree came from Dieselsite.com
Found my old box but it does not have a part number, just says for use in the 1996-2003 7.3 powerstroke.
Only issues I have found with it are in my head when the temp goes up higher then i think it should be. I have noticed no increases in anything besides better heat in the winter, but that is a very good plus for me.
Bottom line will I do it to my other truck, probably not.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Steve my 203 degree came from Dieselsite.com
Found my old box but it does not have a part number, just says for use in the 1996-2003 7.3 powerstroke.
Only issues I have found with it are in my head when the temp goes up higher then i think it should be. I have noticed no increases in anything besides better heat in the winter, but that is a very good plus for me.
Bottom line will I do it to my other truck, probably not.
Mine came from Dieselsite also. I think it is hunting less now, and it wasn't that much to begin with.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Mine came from Dieselsite also. I think it is hunting less now, and it wasn't that much to begin with.
Meant not that much hunting. But also price was reasonable. Hunting seems to have stopped. I guess it had a small air pocket on initial test drive.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Glad to hear you got it figured out. Just be prepared come warm weather to freak out first time you pull a grade with a load and see the temp climb higher than you have ever seen before. It still gets me every spring.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Glad to hear you got it figured out. Just be prepared come warm weather to freak out first time you pull a grade with a load and see the temp climb higher than you have ever seen before. It still gets me every spring.
Why would that happen? I have pulled a race car trailer in 100*+ weather @ 80 mph. and engine temp gauge was always stable on the low end. The thermostat has raised the minimum temperature but once it is fully open I can't see the temperature climbing.

·
Registered
338 Posts
I am not saying it is anything to be concerned about but it will be higher then what you are used to even in the winter it is higher. After 20 plus years of daily driving and SCCA auto crossing/ rally crossing RX-7's with their aluminum rotor housings I have learned to watch my temp gauge at all times no matter what I am driving.
Our trucks are designed for the 203 t stat temperature to begin with, but I always like to warn people about what they will experience compared to what they may have been used to.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I am not saying it is anything to be concerned about but it will be higher then what you are used to even in the winter it is higher. After 20 plus years of daily driving and SCCA auto crossing/ rally crossing RX-7's with their aluminum rotor housings I have learned to watch my temp gauge at all times no matter what I am driving.
Our trucks are designed for the 203 t stat temperature to begin with, but I always like to warn people about what they will experience compared to what they may have been used to.
It is now running at 1/2 and that is just fine with me. I guess someone might install a higher temperature thermostat and freak out when the temperature reads higher, but really what would that person expect?

·
Registered
338 Posts
Plan on 5/8 under hard load depending. Glad you are one of the few that understand when you change one thing other things happen!
What racing do you do ?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Plan on 5/8 under real hard load depending. Glad you are one of the few that understand when you change one thing other things happen!
What racing do you do ?
In 1996 I turned 50. I had sponsored my nephew in oval dirt track. I though I might want to race but was
I too old? Might have to get someone else to drive for me. Play day settled it! This is a blast! Sliding around in the mud trying to keep it going but not losing control -- just like trying to make it home on crappy wet dirt roads when i lived in New Mexico. A few feature wins that first year. Moved up to faster cars than that first "pure stock." 2008 I got the season points championship in "Super Stock" class @ I37 Speedway south of San Antonio. 2009 I lost my pit helper/ mechanic's helper. Only ran a few races. I gave everything away to fellow racers Abraham Mares senior and Abraham Mares III who had always been supportive even if I was racing against one of them. If I came in on a yellow with a cut tire that family jumped all over my car to get me back out before the track went green. I gave them motors, transmissions, wheels, two cars.... NOW I will be 76 in March and I have been missing racing so will drive a "Sports Compact." FWD 4 cyl class. It will live down near I37 Speedway and will be stored at father or son Mares' place. They have land, a hobby shop and are in the wrecker business so they will get it to and from the track. I just come down and drive. The car was first in points last year. Never thought I would be racing a 2004 Chevrolet Cavalier!

This will be interesting!

·
Premium Member
9,843 Posts
The way that I look at it the 203 degree thermostat just shows just how inaccurate the stock temperature gauge is.

You can't tell me that a 10 degree difference in thermostats should make the gauge read as much difference as it does. My stock thermostat a 195 degree one I believe would run just about on the O side of Normal and the 203 degree one runs significantly higher on the gauge.

Reactions: 1997VAstroker

·
Registered
338 Posts
Never thought I would do hot laps at VIR patriot course and Summit Point in a 2012 Chevy Cruze (wifes daily) on 750 treadwear tires either. Proves I will run whatever starts the morning of the event. ( RX-7 was down) There are at least two or three generations of Powerstroke's at every event I attend and I have challenged all of them to a timed run. No one has taken me up on it yet (probably a good thing).

1 - 17 of 17 Posts