The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
greetings
my truck has started acting crazy it seems
temp was running high so i replaced therm with a ih therm and installed a new fan clutchtemps got down like they should be but when i give it any throttle like on even a slight grade the temps come up
i heard there was a place that built 5 row radiators in cal for this truck does any one know

· Registered
12,232 Posts
It is normal for temps to increase under load, if the guage increases then pegs hot that would be time to worry.....

Have you cleaned the fins on your rad/A/C evap lately, if not try that first.

· Registered
2,214 Posts
When you had the thermostat out did you check to see if the "little steel ball" in the the upper housing is there/stuck or if the passage is blocked? If the passage is blocked it will trap air in the system and create hotspots. The ball MUST be there. If not go buy a new upper housing. OkieG

· Registered
778 Posts
Pete is right - it's amazing what straight clean fins on the AC condensor and radiator will have on a system. Do this before you start sourcing out a replacement rad - trust me getting a custom built rad is not cheap... I had one built for The Enterprise a few years back (4 core - dimpled - double the fin count per inch) - yes it cools like a son of a gun but it also was close to a grand to have built - but it stopped my cooling issues or lack there of dead in it's tracks.

if you weren't have a problem with cooling before and now you do and didn't make any large changes in the perfomance upgrade department then you shouldn't need to upgrade the rad to something larger - that tells me that you just need to inspect/repair the stock type cooling system.

· Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
greetings
okie how do you check the operation of the ball by pushing it or rolling it and after you verify that it is there how would you clean it if its stuck

i was having high temps and put in a banks system ,the temp came up faster, so i replaced the therm i had in it with a ih therm and the fan clutch ,the radiator was rodded about 10,000 miles ago ,the turbo makes gobs of boost and the pump is maxed out and on a hard hill wot the temps only go to 900deg,that is measured at the outlet of the exhaust manifold on both sides
i ran a comp check about a month ago and had very good comp less than 10percent between all

· Registered
240 Posts
Okie, why MUST the steel ball be there? What if its gone? As long as the hole isn't blocked I don't really see why its necessary because air will escape thru the hole.

· Registered
2,214 Posts
When the steel ball is free, it blocks the coolant flow when the engine is running, which allows the thermostat to regulate the temperature. If the ball is missing the coolant will have a route to bypass the thermostat causing longer warm up time. But when engine is off and coolant is not pushing the ball it will fall back down to the bottom of the hole but will allow trapped air to escape. Ok? OkieG

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.