The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi (this is my first post),

Background:
Wondering if anyone has any ideas on what this could be. I haven't been able to figure out how to post a video yet, but when I do I will update. I have a '97 7.3L PSD that I'm just breaking in (160k miles) with a 5 spd manual transmission. Recently (a few months ago, earliest I can remember) it started doing this "vibrating" that sounds like a resonance between the engine and the frame (just for description purposes...). I recently had it serviced and it's still doing it so obvious was not addressed by what the dealership performed:
- Oil change (I run Royal Purple 20w50 I think, will double check and update when I get home), and oil filter change
- Brakes
- Tire rotation and adjusted pull
- All glow plugs worked fine
- No timing issues noted

Summary of problem:
It still does this shake/rattle/roll thing. The ford dealer's most experienced diesel mechanic took a short drive with me and the truck actually cooperated and make the sound and he was stumped. In summary:
- happens after shifting out of gear (after applying power and accelerating) and while watching the revs come down
- Doesn't appear to happen within a defined range of RPMs
- Doesn't stall, and doesnt lose power
- Revving the engine while in neutral makes the resonance/rattle stop immediately
- I can shift back into gear and I don't lose any power either (shifting into gear and pseudo-engine braking works too)
- The whole engine and almost the entire front end of the truck shakes
- Also doesn't depend on the speed

Thoughts (basic)
I'm not a diesel mechanic and I have limited experience, but just to stimulate discussion:
- Could this be something affecting the fuel pressure since it pops out of it when I open the throttle? I don't think the fuel filter has been changed in a while; if the dealer said it was fine should I just change it to eliminate the variable?
- Should I try to investigate/interrogate the HPOP? A brief youtube search seems to suggest that the HPOP is the source of all of my truck's problems, and addressing the HPOP apparently also will help me lose weight, and improve my own strength/endurance/libido... (sorry, the youtube videos were a bit much)
- Do I need to change my oil? Add more oil? Take oil out?
- Clutch with my right foot instead of my left?

Actually, now that I think of it..... the last big thing that happened before it started doing this was I got the COVID vaccine... could that be it? (sarcasm, obviously...)

Thanks all in advance :cool:

·
Premium Member
9,669 Posts
Do you still have a dual mass flywheel? If you do that just may be the problem

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Dang. If this is it then I'll have to figure out how to give you some props.... seems to be that me googling "engine rattle" just didn't pull up "flywheel"...

Similar problem:

·
Premium Member
9,669 Posts
I didn't watch the video but the stock dual mass flywheel consists of a few pieces held together with springs. If the springs get weak or start coming off is when the noises and vibrations start. Usually it is first noticed when the engine is turned off.

If it has been replaced by a dealer odds are they put one back in. When I had my transmission out I put in a Luc solid flywheel

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

1 - 6 of 6 Posts