The Diesel Stop banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Premium Member
15,498 Posts
Don't completely dismiss the idea. You can have pressure and still have a leak. After I did my 250K "rebuild", I noticed some oil stains on the spyder right where it joins the turbo. I took that clamp loose and noticed about a 3° misalignment. The clamp (worm style) actually was missing a tooth as well. New o-ring and new clamp installed and no change in boost, but my MPG went up from 17.3 to 20.1 hand calculated. It's super easy to build a boost leak detector and find even the smallest leak.

Other MPG killers - bad fuel pressure (dirty filter / tank pick ups), dirty air filter, clogged EBP sensor tube, broken MAP sensor hose, dragging brake calipers, and a bunch of others.

· Premium Member
15,498 Posts
To check fuel pressure, you need an adapter that fits into the back of the fuel bowl. Here's an example - #13-001 Pressure Port Adapter - Straight 1/8 FNPT

I personally believe a permanent fuel pressure gauge is one of the more important things to have.

Also, if you don't have one, get a scanner that can read PIDs on a powerstroke. Autoenginuity with the Ford enhancement, ForScan (available on iOS, Android, and PC), or even get a ScanGuage. I have the ScanGauge permanently mounted and watch my current and trip MPG constantly. That way, I can adjust my driving habits to achieve maximum efficiency. It's kind of fun to "hypermile" an 8000-pound truck.

· Premium Member
15,498 Posts
Do you have your ScanGauge set up to display current and trip MPG? Having that constant feedback really helps.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.