The Diesel Stop banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 39 of 39 Posts

· Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Nice!

Is this issue with the mpg something that changed at one point, or has the truck always had poor fuel mileage since you’ve owned it?

Have you removed the tuner and ran stock to see if it affects the mpg?
Yes I didn’t use the tuner at all for the first year i owned it. When i got the tuner i didn’t get a gain or decrease in fuel mileage! Only a increase in power. And yes the truck has never done bettet that 12mph since ive had it! Didn’t bother me much before but now fuel prices are on the rise

· Administrator
25,072 Posts
Are you running all the time with overdrive disabled? But even that would only affect mileage at higher speeds, and you said you get single digits around town. Maybe you just got a "special production" model. :(

· Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Are you running all the time with overdrive disabled? But even that would only affect mileage at higher speeds, and you said you get single digits around town. Maybe you just got a "special production" model. :(
Yea i have overdrive on all the time. Would be pushing 3000k rpm at 70 with out it

· Super Moderator
9,078 Posts
What gears do you have in your truck?

Even mine with 4:10's is only around 2500 rpm's at 80 mph

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

Reactions: ArcticDriver

· Premium Member
4,500 Posts
Yea i have overdrive on all the time. Would be pushing 3000k rpm at 70 with out it
That is very high RPM.
3.73 axles will be about 2,200 RPM at 70-mph.
Give or take.

To confirm, the OD light is off?

· Premium Member
4,500 Posts
but my MPG went up from 17.3 to 20.1 hand calculated
Thats fantastic. I thought I was pushing the limits at average of 17-mpg.

Here is my Fuelly.com data for a 2002 7.3 w/3.73 over a 33K mile average.

Attachments

· Premium Member
15,498 Posts
Do you have your ScanGauge set up to display current and trip MPG? Having that constant feedback really helps.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

· Premium Member
4,500 Posts
Yessir,
I usually run the SC in Average MPG, Real-time MPG, Voltage & EOT.

I don’t even need to adjust the SC after fuel-ups anymore since its dialed in so well.

These days the white truck just sits in the shed and I rely on another with the ZF-6. It has an SC also and I see 20-mpg on that one.

· Registered
33 Posts
I have a 2001 7.3ps 4x4 auto. 3.73rear. And stock tires. Mods/50hp tune,k&n air intake. I have heard that i should average around 14-20mpg. I get maby 240m on 1 tank( about 9mpg) on hwy. and about 4-8mpg in town. It runs great,dosent smoke,starts easy,builds boost 1-4psi at 1500rpm. And has no codes. I cant seem to find how to fix this. I love my truck but with this current inflation it kinda sucks. Is this normal? Please help -thanks tyler slay
Anyone saying they are getting 14-20 is just messing with you. They don't and never have. If they insist borrow it and drive it for a tank. I have the identical truck and mods and know plenty of others with the same thing. I drove it on the highway at 70 once and got 11. I'll never do that again. Boring. I get 8-9 mpg and I'm happy with that. Prior trucks had 460 and 454 gas engines and were 4-6 mpg so I'm thrilled. 38 gallon tank at 9 is 342 miles.

· Premium Member
4,500 Posts
Shep,
Welcome to the TDS forum.
You must have us confused for some other Ford diesel forum.
Based on your reported fuel economy, you should stick around and learn some things because your truck suffers from very poor performance.

BTW, I also have a 2002 with the V10 and even it gets 25% better fuel economy than your 7.3.

· Super Moderator
9,078 Posts
Anyone saying they are getting 14-20 is just messing with you. They don't and never have. If they insist borrow it and drive it for a tank. I have the identical truck and mods and know plenty of others with the same thing. I drove it on the highway at 70 once and got 11. I'll never do that again. Boring. I get 8-9 mpg and I'm happy with that. Prior trucks had 460 and 454 gas engines and were 4-6 mpg so I'm thrilled. 38 gallon tank at 9 is 342 miles.
I average 17 mpg on the freeways. The best I ever got was 22 hand calculated. Towing or loaded I can still get better than 10 mpg

· Premium Member
1,286 Posts

Shep,
Based on your reported fuel economy, you should stick around and learn some things because your truck suffers from very poor performance.
Yep!

I average 17 mpg on the freeways. The best I ever got was 22 hand calculated. Towing or loaded I can still get better than 10 mpg

And Yep!

· Registered
125 Posts
Tylerslay,
Do you have an EGT gauge? If so what are your EGT's when running on flat ground? EGT's will give you some idea of how complete your combustion is. I would think low 600's would be about right. Is your truck a SRW or DRW? I have an 02 F350 4x4 DRW Auto 3.73 gears. 70 mph at 2000 rpm's. WW2 turbo, 60 psi regulated return. Polished Y intake. Deleted AIH. Cold air intake. Diamond Eye 4'' turbo back exhaust. PHP 80hp tune. Use to have a 3000 lb welding bed on my truck and get 12.5 mpg. When I pulled my 16K 5th wheel I would do 9-10 mpg. That was 27000 lbs gross weight at 65-70 mph with EGT's at low 900's on flat ground. I put the pickup bed back on and get the same 12.5 mpg. I had a 94 IDI F250 with 5 spd which did 20 mph constantly.
Back to your issue: It would appear that your truck must be over fueling somehow which is why I suspect the EGT's must be running high and there could be a slight exhaust haze. What is telling the ECM to over-fuel?
What does your exhaust piping look like? Do you have a catalytic converter? A rich running engine would begin to stop it up.
A faulty temp sensor somewhere could be telling the ECM that the engine is not warming up and giving it more fuel all the time. Is your thermostat stuck open? I know the 7.3 will barely warm up without one. How is your heater working?

There is an intake temp sensor in the filter box. Check all temperature sensors on the engine in the morning before you start the truck with an A&E scanner and see it they are all close to ambient air temperature.

What about the MAP sensor? Or the hose going to it? Is the little pipe nipple on the Y connector open?

Did you verify the fuel pressure to the filter is correct?

· Registered
817 Posts
My best was 18 mpg, hand calculated. I average 17 on the highway, at 47 mph, when the OD kicks on, on flat ground we are doing about 22 mpg.

· Registered
33 Posts
Shep,

BTW, I also have a 2002 with the V10 and even it gets 25% better fuel economy than your 7.3.
I suppose it's how you drive it. I enjoy driving mine. Poor performance? Fuel economy is not
performance and is of no interest to me. We are all different. It's a very quick and powerful truck.
If I can get 5000 miles out of a set of pads and rotors that's economy.
As I said in my comment if that person were to drive the other guys truck the way he does his the
fuel use would be the same. A V-10 with me driving it gets around 5 mpg but isn't much fun.

· Premium Member
1,286 Posts

· Registered
817 Posts
I suppose it's how you drive it. I enjoy driving mine. Poor performance? Fuel economy is not
performance and is of no interest to me. We are all different. It's a very quick and powerful truck.
As I said in my comment if that person were to drive the other guys truck the way he does his the
fuel use would be the same. A V-10 with me driving it gets around 5 mpg but isn't much fun.
Fair enough, but don't equate differences in mileage to "messing with" someone. You acknowledge you like the power/speed/performance more than you do mileage, and while I am as much a performance addict as anyone, my truck is my work. If it's in the shop all the time I don't work. If it costs me more to get there than I make, then I don't work. I get above average MPG's, and my truck is always loaded down with work stuff. While I'm not obnoxious and racing around all the time, I also don't baby it.

· Registered
33 Posts
Ahhhhh, but it is.....and what sells vehicles, and what the trend has been (see graph) Poor fuel economy does not equal Performance:

That trend is to meet government standards. I never said poor fuel economy equals performance. I'm getting
awesome fuel economy for what I'm asking my truck to do. What I've said is if I asked your truck to do the same thing
(perform) it would not get the mileage you get. It's about fun, not transportation. Driving to work each day is a blast and
always has been. A cyber truck looks like a winner because of its power and speed and size. It looks like fun. Until
the government sets up "trends" and ruins them. Perhaps the 60's all over again.

· Administrator
25,072 Posts
:oops: Remind me to stay away from your neighborhood!

I used to drag race my truck, and still got better mileage than you're reporting. My brakes last way longer too. I'm at 250k miles and on my second set of pads.

I think this thread has run it's course. It originally sounded like you were complaining about poor fuel economy, but has degenerated into the political arena. Close to further posts.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.