The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know about the rest of you but the new format for this website is ridiculous. I have 1024x768 resolution on my laptop and the top 1/3 of my screen is advertisments, the middle 1/3 is navigation stuff and the posts start on the bottom 1/3. Definitely not a good use of space IMO.

I'm all for making a buck but it's getting kind of ridiculous how Jason is writing articles and kissing ass to all the advertisers
. I guess that's one way to outfit the new ride.

I noticed that I'm using this site less and less and I think this is why. How about all the folks that donated money several months ago for a "member" funded ford-diesel website. I didn't donate because I have seen this happen too many times (and my predcition for this site was right now the money).

I have nothing against Jason or making money, I'm just suprised that so few people have said anything.

------------------
Cliff Marano
'97 F-350 4WD Lariat RC, SRW, PSD, E40D, 4.10LS, ACPM

·
Registered
597 Posts
Cliff, I for one won't say anything either. In my opinion, Jason has made it clear, at least to my satisfaction, that the donations that many of us made (including myself) didn't cover the cost of providing the services and resources that managing and hosting this site required.

This is Jason's site and if he can swing getting products to test in exchange for reviews, I'm all for it. Maybe there is a bit of envy that advertisers are providing product since they know it will be reviewed in a place with an active readership?
(Which is something *I* can't guarantee, that I could write something that would end up in a visible location.)

If you don't like how the site is run a) don't use it and b) start one of your own that is run the way you like.

------------------
00 250 XLT SD SC 4x4 PSD auto, Bright Amber
AHSA, USDF, RMDS, USPSA (Life), NRA, EPCSO Volunteer

·
Registered
8,200 Posts
Wow, kind of a hostile tone, Cliff, what with references to osculation of the gluteous, or the "oscula infame". Deeply uncool.

Ironic that someone who refused to contribute is now irritated at how the site is funded.

The Internet is a big place. Certainly big enough to start your own site and run it exactly the way you want to. Might want to take the plunge like Jason did - you might have a deeper appreciation for the tribulations he faces. You might even get somebody to write YOU an e-mail, telling you to quit sucking up to someone. I'm almost certain that this new perspective will yield some insight on the issues facing an Internet site like this one.

Good luck and happy trails!

------------------
Kevin

·
Registered
881 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Cliff Marano:

I didn't donate because I have seen this happen too many times (and my predcition for this site was right now the money).

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I guess maybe he had to start the advertising because of non contributors Cliff.

Jim

------------------
Early '99 (2/98) Lariat F350 4x4 SC DRW Auto 4.10 and ESOF :(

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Maybe I misunderstood the posts several months ago but I thought the purpose of the "donations" was to avoid advertising. Maybe I was wrong... I'll have to go search the archives to refresh my memory.

I come to sites like Ford-Diesel.com for the information exchange between the list subscribers. Personally, I can do without all the other stuff.

------------------
Cliff Marano
'97 F-350 4WD Lariat RC, SRW, PSD, E40D, 4.10LS, ACPM

·
Registered
8,200 Posts
You are right - the donations were an attempt to avoid advertising. We apparently did not get enough. Hint, hint!

------------------
Kevin

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
I dont believe Jason ever said that he was trying to avoid the advertising. I believe that The membership decided that donations would attempt to avoid the ads.

I believe Jason wanted permission from the membership to start running ads before he even started that donation drive. The membership is what stopped him by contributing.

I believe that the site is run quite well. I think the ads are not all that bad.

The navigation window is a blessing for all us moderator people because many members here have only seen the Home page but once. Then they never return to it or the valueable information held in the contents section. The links give the opportunity to those non home page viewing members to actually poke around. It saves 1 mouse click on the Logo which I doubt many people even knew was a link to the home page in the first place.

Cliff if you are using IE then go to full screen it should help out.

Keith Anderson
Moderator/ Curator-Custodian Gen. Diesel Forum

[This message has been edited by Carpentractor (edited 07-13-2000).]

·
Registered
6,246 Posts
The donations were great, but not enough to pay for the rest of the year, sorry. I can't make them go farther.

Buying the new server for the forums was a big chunk of money, but worth it I think. Our traffic levels have also increased substantially. We did 36 gigabytes in November 1999 and did 55 gigabytes in June 2000. If you don't know, connectivity when you get to those levels is quite expensive and based on traffic levels. More traffic equals more $$$.

I wish that guys like you would try to run a high traffic site for a couple of months, then you'd realize how much work and $$$ it takes.

I also resent the remark about me kissing advertisers' ass. Can you please point me to where that happens? Is it wrong to give a good product a good review? I'm obviously not the only one on here who thinks Hypertech, Western Diesel, and Diesel Injection Service make and sell good products. So shoot me for telling the truth.

Jason

------------------
Ford-Diesel.Com Webmaster
2000 F-350 Crew Cab Dually Lariat 6-speed 4x4
Black/Tan 4.10LS Fully-Loaded

·
Registered
4,285 Posts
Cliff,

Why all the hostility? Nothing in life is free, if you want something tailored exactly to your liking, you pay extra for it. I have contributed to this site and intend to do so again. Unfortunately, we have too many freeloaders, like yourself, and Jason has had to look to an alternative form of financing this site. If all 7500 members would donate $20.00 each year, I bet Jason would get rid of the ads. Since that is not happening, we get ads. I don't think you have a right to complain unless you also contribute.

Mike

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
Great site, THANK YOU Jason! I also trust Jason's honest opinion, if a product works well, why not share the experience. As a matter of fact, that is what this site is all about. I have the WD chip, works great!! I buy all my stuff from DIS, super people to do business with. Does this mean I am kissing their behind? HARDLY! Neither does Jason by praising a good product!!
'nuff said!

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Jason, your doing a great job with this site. Just remember "you can't please everybody all the time"

------------------
2000 F-350, Lariet, PSD, SC, LB, 4x4, White, Line X, Dee-Zee toolbox, Weatherboots, Husky Mat, Rustproofed, Ford bug guard, ect... NRA Life

·
Registered
485 Posts
Just some of the people some of the time.

Love what your doing with the site.

------------------
1999 F250 PS Extended cab, 6 speed, short bed. No extras but looking to get K&N air filter, air horns, Aux control
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumList?u=869476

·
Registered
181 Posts
Cliff - None of us are entitled to a vote as to how Jason runs HIS site. In my opinion those that have donated have the right to exercise their opinion of the site operation. Those that choosse not to donate can read the material but that's all. Again this is my opinion.

------------------
Landon... 2000 F-350 PSD SC 6sp 4x4 SRW
Note: I know my spelling is bad - it's not a priority in my life.

·
Registered
383 Posts
I e-mailed Jason and told him my thoughts about the new look and feel of the site.

I don't mind the ads, just that it looked cluttered and I told him so. Anyone that even remotely uses PC/servers knows how much time you have to spend on maintenance alone. This guy does it in his "spare" time and I applaud him for that and for having the mindset that 'yes, i can do this' and 'yes it will be hard' and 'yes, it will benefit a lot of people'.

JASON...THANKS AGAIN FROM JR97!!!!!

------------------
'97 F250 HD/XLT/SC/Short Bed/E4OD/3.55/Imperial MAXI-KOOL 21,800 GVW Trans Cooler/Amsoil air filter/Amsoil Gear Lube/California Fuel Regulator Kit/KatLess/Mobil 1 ATF

·
Registered
9 Posts
Greetings to all,

I have been viewing this site for a couple of months now and find it hard to believe all this discusion on donations.

Please lookup the meaning of "donation".
I'm sure you'll be surprised.

Here's one point to ponded.
Isn't everyone who posts a message here a donor?
What does everyone seek by coming to this site?
If no one ever posted a message would this site be a success?

So you see my friends, everyone who visits this site is a donor, maybe not financialy, but everymore still a contributor.

------------------
Here today, gone tomorrow. That's the way of life.

·
Registered
181 Posts
JDME - If you have not already been welcomed to this great site then WELCOME!! It is a great place to share ideas, contribute and gather information for the PSD.
---------------------------------------------

Hello To All:

Yes - donations are ANY type of contribution. I agree that information and posts are a very welcome and necessary form of donation.

BUT, non-financial donations will not keep the site operational from a cost perspective. And if the web-site is not operational the non-financial donations can not be made.

The reality is that a small monetary donation from everyone will perpetuate our ability to contribute all forms of donations.

Many talk about $20 donations. I would suggest even $1, if it can be spared. Surely every member can afford something.

If someone truly can not afford a financial donation then I will offer a one time, first come, first served match of my last financial donation to this site. Let me know.

------------------
Landon... 2000 F-350 PSD SC 6sp 4x4 SRW
Note: I know my spelling is bad - it's not a priority in my life.

[This message has been edited by landon_carter (edited 07-14-2000).]

·
Premium Member
394 Posts
I discovered this site early on. Back then there wasn't too much to come back to once you'd perused the site. Now that Jason has invested some bucks into this site I find myself coming back several times a week to keep up with my favorite forums and to check to see if there is anything new. This has become one of my most valuable sites. Advertising is no big deal. You can block it with free software if it really bothers you.

------------------
Billy Mitchell
Ford F250 PSD Crew Cab 4X4 LWB XLT Build- 07/98 and 04/00

·
Registered
500 Posts
Oh I thought I would chime in on this one...

Lets do some math with the most popular websites

Chevy/GMC and its main unofficial website www.thedieselpage.com

NO Banner Ads -- But you can access vendor lists (Including ourselves who PAY to list ourself on his page)

What it costs $15.95 is the minimum price and $41.95 for premium - also archived information and other items costs extra (so you can pay up to $100.00 to get everything)

Total Membership to date 4600 (983 in the forum)

Next

Dodge Cummins and its main unofficial website www.turbodieselregister.com

Banners - not all of the information from the TDR Magazine is available and constant reminders to sign up for the TDR magazine $35.00 anually - benifits to those who sign up (Links provided to businesess related to the Dodge are linked - seems to be those like ourselves who advertise in the TDR)

Total TDR members (Have no idea but there are quite a few) 4409 members in the message boards..

And Now to Ford Diesel.com

As of today 7542 registered members to the board

Banners , asks for donations, gets a few freebies to try out on his truck

OTHERWISE IT IS COMPLETELY FREE TO ALL THAT WISH NOT TO SPEND MONEY

my 2cents

Brent
DIS

·
Registered
4,285 Posts
Brent explains a point I have tried to point out before, only much better by comparing other sites with this one. Jason's free access makes this site what it is today. Without free access, we would not enjoy the diversity of our membership nor the knowledge that comes from that diversity.

Unfortunately, a site such as this cannot operate without funding. Data circuits are an expensive, recurring cost. Servers, software and other required hardware must be maintained and upgraded. This is a very expensive "hobby" that someone must pay for. Someone (Jason) must devote time (labor) to keep this site running. Jason deserves something in return for his vision and his labor. If you don't like the ads and have not contributed, you should blame yourself, not Jason. With over 7500 members, we should be able to fund this site and have plenty left over for Jason's efforts if everyone would contribute. If you have not contributed, quit your carping and get out the checkbook!

BTW, DIS is a great company to do business with, and they support this site as well. Consider them the next time you need some goodies for your truck.

Mike

1 - 20 of 35 Posts