The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So changing out my CPS today hoping to solve some problems I've been having And I could not find my pry bar, So go to the store, come back to finish, I lost the 10 MM BOLT!
So hour an a half later I find it, but did I ?

I'm not sure If I found a different bolt? Or if something else went wrong but shes striped , and now I'm nervous I did something really bad..

heres one pic to show what I pulled out So can I run down to ford and get a new one? and bolt if back on, be finished.. Or did I really mess something up in there..?

Mahalos..
-patch

·
Registered
62 Posts
Looks like you pulled the threads out of it,get a heli coil, or try a tap or thread chaser.

just some ideas.

·
Super Moderator
6,330 Posts
Looks like the first three threads came out with the bolt, the rest seems clean. First thing, try threading the bolt you found in the hole without the CPS in place. If it fits and the threads seem to grab OK once you get past the first couple I would re-use the bolt you have. Keep in mind you will need 3-4 good threads plus the thickness of the bracket the bolt holds in place. Get the extra metal out of the threads and use never-seize when you reinstall to avoid a repeat next time. You have nothing to lose but a bit of time.

Dave / Believer45

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok, anti-seize ? or loc-tite.. ? And do you think by adding a small washer to just make up for some of the room is a bad idea?? The bracket is there, but pretty thin :\ thought maybe it might help..
and what about making sure the cps is seated all the way, isn't prone to leaking ?? last thing I want is it leaking because I Effed up the bolt

·
Premium Member
188 Posts
X2 what Believer45 said. You should not have any problems use never seize plus u can use a flat washer and lock washer CPS seals with "O" ring so it should not leak.

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
Ok Correct me if I am wrong but if it pulled the outter threads Then Why in the heck would you want to put a washer on there? You want the bolt in as far as it can go to grab the better threads, Not pull it farther out

·
Registered
4,864 Posts
Just FYI, if you want, I got a new one from Ford a couple months ago...The head on my CPS bolt rounded off so I picked up a new one. Guy just gave it to me.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No, It pulled the last 4 threads.. so if the 4 good threads hold, Wouldnt a lock washer aid to holding it tighter?
And is anti-seize and never seize the same stuff?
is this a better choice than red loc-tite?

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok, So I reinstalled it with the Anti-seize, And it seem to get a bit further this time, But its still not really tight up against the block..

any body think its gonna vibrate out of there, Or is it safe to drive you think?
Thanks for the help guys.. Appreciate it!

-patch

·
Registered
4,067 Posts
Ok, So I reinstalled it with the Anti-seize, And it seem to get a bit further this time, But its still not really tight up against the block..

any body think its gonna vibrate out of there, Or is it safe to drive you think?
Thanks for the help guys.. Appreciate it!

-patch
needs to be tight against the block--see if you can find the right tap--and blow the hole out also--might be junk in there----

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
It sits against the block, Theres no gap, but its just not very tight(torqued)

No junk, or maybe, But its striped.. so you think I should take off the frontend and do the heli-coil or one of the taps ?

·
Registered
409 Posts
You could put a stud in there with loctite, then washer and regular nut to get the CPS in tight, then remove the nut and put a locknut to hold it tight.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
You mean to get the CPS seated all the way? I think its good, I Put it in there as tight as I could get the bolt, and fired it up, Didnt leak or nothing ? :\ but im worried about bolt coming out, Then the whole thing comes loose/falls out?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts