The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well my 02 F350 has been hit with the Power Windows (all four) and Radio stopped working problem. My Instrument Cluster is working fine and so is everything else. I have read many, many post concerning this problem and I am really hoping someone on here has figured this out and has a fix. I saw several post that mentioned wiring in the door hinge area but I am having trouble seeing all the wires there becuase of the rubber boot getting in the way. Do I just cut it out of the way? Anyway I sure need some help on this.
Bill

·
Premium Member
3,754 Posts
Bill,the rubber boot on the doors will just pull back they have a lip that sit in behind the door shell and then the same for the A pillar.
Have you got central locking?
Yes you have checked the fuse.
What where you doing when the power windows stopped? did you short something out?
Is the dome light working?
I'm not sure if the 02 was the last year that had a GEM ,but if your has one it is behind the fuse box .

·
Premium Member
2,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply Googs, I finally just pushed the rubber boot into the hole it fits into on the door to get it out of the way. Didn't find any broken or chaffing wires. On closer inspection, the dome light works but the reading light do not also the glove box light does not work. I checked any fuse even remotely related including fuse # 42 delayed accessory. I also wonder about the delayed accessory relay but short of just replacing it I don't know how to check it. Like I said the instrument cluster is working, including the dimmer wheel. When this happened I had no warning at all, just went to put the windows down and the rest is history as they say. Lastly this truck was built 8/2001 and has a VSM no GEM.
Thanks,
Bill

·
Premium Member
3,754 Posts
Gooday Bill, Is your truck a daily driver ? Have you pulled the door panel and checked the connectors on the window motors?(corroded) If you have had the truck sitting for some time the motors could have some condensation on them and froze .Can you trace the earth wire for the windows (down near the front kick panel) it maybe loose or not contacting. I will try and find the electrical diagram for the windows old mate and see if i can nut this thing out for you.

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
It's got to be as issue with the delay ACC circuit based on everything you've stated. I think your on the right track. Googs, if you can pull that circuit diagram up, that's likely going to be the issue. If the relay isn't expensive, I would suggest changing it and see. Your time is worth something too.

·
Premium Member
3,754 Posts
Bill, here are some electrical diagrams for the radio and the Window motors, looks like it could be related to the Radio . Have just woke up so this is all i have right now, i will look in to it after breakfast mate.
Also take the steering wheel cover off and check for chafed OD wire i have read this can cause this problem, worth a try anyway old mate.
Check the Instrument Cluster Fuse 10 amp fuse #35, but pull it don't just check for continuity on the top of the fuse, while you are at it replace your reading lights (map lights)
P1020410.jpg P1020409.jpg

·
Premium Member
2,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I replaced the delay accessory relay with a known good one from my neighbor's truck and nothing changed. I removed all the door panels and followed wires as best I could and nothing looked bad, all the window motors are as clean looking as they were when new, maybe a little dusty. I guess I will try and use the diagrams Googs just sent me and try my luck with a multimeter. There is a video on youtube that points to the instrument cluster for this problem, only glitch is that my instrument cluster works fine.
Bill

·
Premium Member
3,754 Posts
Have you checked Fuse #35 ?
Have you checked the OD wire to see if it is chafed?
Have you still got a blown map lights?
Now the window motors may look good and still new on the outside, but have some corrosion on the stator or the brushes.

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
I just can't imagine all the motors died at the same time. I know on my truck if you unplug the master switch on the drivers door, none of the windows will work from their own switches.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Premium Member
3,754 Posts
Yeah Phil you are right all the motors wouldn't chuck it in all at the same time, I should have worded that differently ,I'm just trying to eliminate a few things i thought it could be. :icon_rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
Traildust, have you made any progress on this? Can you try another cluster, is your neighbor's truck same year/trim?

·
Premium Member
2,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I don't think my neighbor's Instrument Cluster will work, his truck is a 2003 auto mine is 02 6 speed. I don't think I would ask him to do that anyway, he's a little possessive about his truck. :icon_wink:
Right now I am at a stand still and don't know what to do. I think it may be the battery saver relay in the Instrument Cluster Microprocessor. I hate to spend the money on one to find out it did not fix the problem. My question is, if the battery saver relay fails will the instrument cluster continue to work 4.0?
Bill

·
Premium Member
3,754 Posts
Bill, i thought you must have gone on holidays :lol::lol:, just a thought, have you tried to run some wires from the window motors (1motor) and put some juice into them just to make sure they work.
Are the map lights still blown?

·
Premium Member
2,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I want to thank Googs and Phil G for their help but I am at the end of the road with this. I am going to have to take it to a shop with the proper tools and expertise to get this fixed. :icon_mad: I thought I would find the answer here but I guess not.
Bill

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
Sometimes we all have to resort to this. Good luck with it, please do report back the outcome though, maybe it will help someone else down the road. I wish I could help more but I'm really at a loss on this one, especially if it is cluster related.

·
Premium Member
3,754 Posts
I want to thank Googs and Phil G for their help but I am at the end of the road with this. I am going to have to take it to a shop with the proper tools and expertise to get this fixed. :icon_mad: I thought I would find the answer here but I guess not.
Bill
Bill, sorry to hear that you are going to the dealers to have them look at your truck,do you have mobile Auto electricians there, maybe you could call one and they will come to you, I don't think i could trust the dealers to work on my truck.
Have you tried all the checks that have been posted?

·
Premium Member
2,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I have found a few new things that I haven't done yet so I will go through them. I will not take it to the Dealer that's for sure. :nono: There is a pretty good local shop here I think I will try. First I am gonna do some stuff with the Accesory Delay Relay in the Central Junction Box.
Thanks,
Bill

·
Premium Member
2,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Googs and Phil G - It's fixed! :lol: I did some reading out and jumping between leg position in the CJB for the Accessory Delay Relay in particular leg 30 for power and leg 85 for switched power and then jumped or bridged 30 to 87. When I bridged 30 to 87 I heard a clicking sound and then everything worked fine except my batteries were now very low from all the opening of the doors for 5 or 6 days without running the truck. By the way I got all the info to do this from somewhere else. :icon_rolleyes: I wonder how long it will last, I fear it has something to do with the battery saver relay in the Instrument cluster.
Bill

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
Glad you got it fixed, I knew it had to be delay circuit related but don't know enough specifically on it to be much help as I have never had a problem with it. Let us know later if it seems to be a permanent cure.

·
Premium Member
3,754 Posts
Good to hear mate, it doesn't matter how you fixed it, at long last you have it fixed , now for the test to see if and how long it will last (permanently for your sake) I'm sure it will be okay , the main thing is you didn't have to resort to taking your truck to the Garage , I declare this subject :eek:fftopic:
Cheers Bill

1 - 20 of 21 Posts