The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was reading some threads today and saw a couple where I could really use the old FAQ's that were around before this update and change of format.

So is there any update on if or when or are you even looking at getting them back for us??????????????????

·
Premium Member
9,489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sad but true

·
Premium Member
9,489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'll also ask about the alert notifications.

That little red dot is still one of the hardest things to see. Isn't there anything you can do to improve it with all these improvements that have been done to the site?

·
Premium Member
9,489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I see you came up with the time to fix bugs and other issues.

How about the old FAQ's

·
Administrator
1,436 Posts
So I was reading some threads today and saw a couple where I could really use the old FAQ's that were around before this update and change of format.

So is there any update on if or when or are you even looking at getting them back for us??????????????????
Since there are a few of these FAQs that are now outdated, what sections do you believe still relevant and needing an answer. Should we create a forum section to help facilitate room for these, or would you rather them resatored as their own section?

I'll also ask about the alert notifications.

That little red dot is still one of the hardest things to see. Isn't there anything you can do to improve it with all these improvements that have been done to the site?
The red dot should only appear when you have an alert, but some of our alerts are disappearing or getting double triggered. This is a bug we're working on fixing.

Thank you for your patience as we build out resolutions to features requested, and as we squash stubborn bugs.
Gerrit

·
Premium Member
9,489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Since it has been a while since I have seen them I'll try and remember which ones that were really helpful but I would like to see the whole old FAQ's brought back.

The 94.5-97 Tricks and ????, this area had a lot of information on the older trucks and even ones up to 2003.

The Article section. This had a lot of DIY and information that will never be outdated. Perhaps no one with a 2008 and newer truck would use them but you have a lot of members here that have the older trucks.

Here are a few that I had bookmarked with their old url's but we lost.

The 1996 Bronco-F-Series Workshop Manual (http://www.thedieselstop.com/faq/9497faq/maint/stj/stji1001.htm)

97-15A 7.3L DI Turbo Workshop Manual (http://www.thedieselstop.com/faq/9497faq/tsb/tsb/sia/siamain.htm)

BAZ's PAGES. Home Page (http://www.thedieselstop.com/faq/9497faq/stevebaz/index.htm)

I would have more but before the change over I could just go up to the old FAQ's and get the information that I needed to pass on to others that were having problems. That is where it wold be nice to get the whole section brought back.

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
I agree - just bring back EVERYTHING you can. After a few months, you'll probably be able to tell which ones are most-important by the number of page hits.

·
Registered
10,901 Posts
The old 94-97 Trouble Spots had a lot of TSBs. There was a section on the 94 PCED. The section on PCM code information. Cheers!

·
Super Moderator
26,385 Posts
One that was also a go-to in the 94-97 FAQ section was Downloads. Had things like an HPOP Troubleshooting Guide for 7.3L, as well as an International-Ford PN interchange list. Valuable stuff for the guys with trucks of drinking age.
I agree that they should all be restored.
Most of the stuff isn't easily adaptable to a forum style page, but should be made available.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Since there are a few of these FAQs that are now outdated
Who determined that the FAQ was "outdated"?

Upon what basis was this determination made?

Is there a specific cut off date that was randomly chosen?

Is there a specific number of years after which it is arbitrarily determined that previously posted information is no longer relevant?

No longer relevant to whom?

The Administrator of the forum?

Do older vehicles, once produced, somehow change with the passage of time, metamorphosing into modern vehicles?

If the foregoing question sounds preposterous, is it reasonable then to assume that a vehicle, once built, can be repaired or modified, but doesn't fundamentally change from how it was originally built?

When a 25 year old vehicle was new, and a service procedure was developed for how that vehicle was specifically built, does the passage of time automatically invalidate the service procedure developed for that vehicle?

If the vehicle manufacturer ceased building those 25 year old vehicles over 20 years ago, and ceased supporting parts for those vehicles over 10 years ago, but those vehicles are still on the road, is all the prior service information and user contributed tips and tricks now "outdated", simply because users did not anticipate the need to recontribute the repository of relevant and valid information already on record... within some recent, arbitrarily chosen period of time?

What sections do you believe still relevant and needing an answer?
Are you kidding? Seriously?

Should we create a forum section to help facilitate room for these?
Look. If facilitating room or server space is such a concern, or if hosting what appears to be in your opinion "outdated" information is such a concern, of if, after month after month after month after month of user requests for the old data, neither you nor your company have the time or interest to address this oft repeated and unanswered request... why don't you sell the data to someone who will share it with the collective community who contributed it in the first place, rather than sit on it, buried, where no one can see it again?

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
Well, that wasn't the most diplomatic way of expressing it, but that certainly IS the sentiment.

·
Super Moderator
26,385 Posts
BUMP!!

I just ran across some posts that linked to the old FAQ section, and without the information, the post is basically incomplete.

PLEASE restore the FAQ sections. It's way past time.

Also, ran across one of my old posts that referenced photos in my media here on TDS where the photos had disappeared, and when I tried to restore them, I got error messages. Again, without the photos, the posts are incomplete. :(

·
Premium Member
9,489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Any updates on this question about getting the old FAQ's back????

Also how about something about the alert icon that you can't see. I have been waiting for 3 days on another forum for a member to get back to me after I sent him a PM, and yes you folks also run that forum with the same problem with the alerts.

·
Premium Member
9,489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
If there is a Admin even reading this anymore here is a thread where the old FAQ section would be a lot of help.

·
Registered
10,901 Posts
I'm going to venture the answer is NO. Just us oldtimers wondering why nothing has been done. Cheers!

·
Premium Member
9,489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'll keep pushing, you never know..

·
Super Moderator
26,385 Posts
I just sent a PM to Administrator asking about this.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Half a month later... has the Administrator responded?

Here is a Super Moderator who has volunteered almost 20 years of his life curating and cultivating this forum... such that one would think that of all TDS members to reach out to an Administrator, KLHansen is most deserving of a response.

Well?

And more than just the Old FAQ... what I miss most are the archives of pre-2005 forum posts that used to be accessible via a link on the right hand side column of the forum prior to this big change. The Archives were of posts made between 1999-2004, broken up into several sections just as Jason Lester broke them up contemporaneously when those forums were current. The Archives carried over when TDS was sold, but as read only, not searchable, and not open to further posts.

But the Archives remained useful all the same, because the model years of trucks which were discussed in those Archives were new when the posts in the Archives were written. When a vehicle is new and current, there is more discussion about it, because that is what is available to buy and drive. It is the latest and greatest, and it is what is most popular on the roads at that time. There were over TWO MILLION Ford diesel engines made prior to 2003... so the forum posts made between 1999 - 2005 are very relevant and of keen interest to secondary and tertiary owners of legacy vehicles of that time period.

In a previous post, the Administrator suggests that old posts of that time period "are now outdated".

Nothing could be further from the truth. The older members who once owned the now "outdated" legacy trucks 20 years ago, when the archives were not archives, but were the latest and greatest musings of some of the best and brightest minds of active enthusiasts that ever graced this forum, mutually discovered and shared more relevant and useful information about that era of truck than the younger members who have only recently acquired these trucks second, third, and fourth hand. Without access to the Archives, the newer members have to reinvent the wheel, and suffer through misinformation and misunderstandings... when all that ground was well covered and explained 20 years ago... in the OLD FAQ Section and in the ARCHIVES of posts from 1999-2004 that the Administrator appears to think are outdated, simply due to the date.

The Adminstrator then asks: "What sections do you believe still relevant and needing an answer?"

The answer is simple: ALL the old sections are relevant... and the better and more relevant answers to new questions about old vehicles are more often found in OLD Archives that were written when the trucks were new, and when there was a more prolific and active user base available to contribute content that was relevant about those vehicles.

What is getting old is having this simple request for the restoration of information flatly ignored.

So let's try a different way of explaining the concept.... by picking on one member to serve as an illustrative example.

I'm going to pick on member ZooDad as our example. ZooDad was an active member on Ford-Diesel.com, which is what this forum used to be called back in 1999. ZooDad bought a new truck, I think it was a late '99, and noticed, like we all did, that the factory air intake system for the 7.3L diesel seemed wanting. ZooDad took a long hard look at the rad support behind the front grille, and thought... why not use a 2" hole saw and drill a couple of holes in a baffle there to let more air into the intake snorkle? He posted his idea on the forum, and for the two decades since, this mod became widely known as the ZooDad mod. You can still find "ZooDad" listed in member signatures today, like you might see "AFE" or "K&N" or "S&B".

So what is member ZooDad doing today? Is he still on TDS in the 1999-2007 forum dispensing more "up to date" advice about how to modify, repair, or maintain the 7.3L diesel?
NO. He moved on from the 7.3L engine long ago. Today, he rocking a 2020 F-450 6.7L. He is still on forums, contributing content concerning FORScan monitoring and modification of electronic network modules in 6.7L engines. His previous truck was a 2016 6.7L. His interest in the 7.3L has long since waned.

But his posts, when he actively owned a 7.3L, still have value to new forum members who buy a used 7.3L. Those new members may not be able to afford to drop $90,000 on a new 2020 F-450, which is the most "up to date" diesel that Ford makes. These new members who have acquired a 7.3L within their means are proudly rocking, by the Administrator's judgement, an "outdated" truck. The most relevant information about an "outdated" truck is going to be found in the "outdated" forum Archives and Old FAQ Section, because the thousands of members like ZooDad who contributed that content when they owned those trucks back when they were new, have moved on to newer trucks.

But they traded or sold their old trucks... and the bright eyed buyers of those old trucks come to forums like this one looking for information about them. When the Administrator EVISCERATES the forums of all the older information because the Administrator views older posts as "outdated", the recently arrived blind arrive to lead the freshly arrived blind, without anyone having benefit of the history that would easily shed light on how to find the trail that was already blazed 15-20 years beforehand.

What possible harm is there in simply restoring a link to the Archives, and a link to the Old FAQ Section?

·
Registered
10,901 Posts
Excellent post! Thank you for taking the time to craft and post it. I could have used the old stuff this morning. I'm sure if it weren't for klhansen stepping up to be our moderator, we would just be auto-moderated by some algorithm. I'm still going to guess that nothing will be done because it would take effort and cost money (which some in some bean-counter's cost-benefit analysis doesn't work). Cheers!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts