The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I look after our kids' motorhome here at the campsite, and today as I was putting it up for the winter I noticed the tranny is low on ATF.

The chassis if a 1999 F-550 V10 Triton gasser. Is probably running the original ATF as it is low mileage.

AutoZone lists Valvoline MaxLife Dex/Merc Automatic Transmission Fluid for this vehicle. (I entered the VIN to get their applicable products.)

Has the perennial agonizing over Mercon vs Mercon V finally gone away and I can assume that reputable parts suppliers sell the proper oil? :confused: (We're out in the brush here. Nearest Ford dealer is farther that I feel like driving unless this post blows up and I can't decide on the local supplier?)

Thanks in advance! (Still driving my 2000 PSD. Gonna be buried in it!)

Art

·
Super Moderator
11,618 Posts
I trust Autozone as far as I can throw one of their buildings.

Having said that, what they recommend won't hurt it. It isn't the best choice, but it's not bad for it. MERCON V is the correct fluid for that transmission.

·
Registered
2,018 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ATF

Thanks to both! I don't log on much since I quit towing, so was glad to see you're still on there.

Seems like there was a lot of controversy swirling around Mercon V 15 years ago, and apparently it's not the poison for old 4R100s like some thought it was when I first got the truck.

Interestingly, the motorhome has the same tranny with the Triton engine as my 7.3 which has served me well.

I haven't looked for any junk in my truck's internal screen, but the Magnefines are clean when I change ATF. I use Amsoil Torque Drive. Performance is exactly as it was when new.

You guys OK with adding synthetic to whatever mouse milk Ford put in that tranny at the factory? I'll go with the Mobil-1 Synthetic.

Thanks again. Good to hear from you.
Art, Formerly Known As "ShePointiIDig."

·
Super Moderator
11,618 Posts
Seems like there was a lot of controversy swirling around Mercon V 15 years ago, and apparently it's not the poison for old 4R100s like some thought it was when I first got the truck.
Back then MERCON V was poison to 4R100s. In 2006 MERCON V was changed to be compatible with 4R100s.

Interestingly, the motorhome has the same tranny with the Triton engine as my 7.3 which has served me well.
Both are 4R100s, but there are differences between the diesel and gas versions.

You guys OK with adding synthetic to whatever mouse milk Ford put in that tranny at the factory? I'll go with the Mobil-1 Synthetic.
Yes, they are compatible and will mix without problems.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts