The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys and Gals, it's been a while.
I have a 94 F250 w/ a 7.3 IDI. It has 168,000 miles. It needs an oil pump, so I've decided to go through it now and rebuild the beast. It only has 3 lifting eyes, two on the right, one on the left rear, slightly offset towards the front. According to my service manual, that's all it calls for. My question is for those who know, will it pull out straight? Any past experience with this job is appreciated. It's just an engine pull, E4OD and transfer case is staying put, for now. Later, I'll have other questions. The best companies for parts and so on. Thanks in advance for your help.

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
What did you check oil pressure with?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
659 Posts
Why anyone would need a new oil pump with only 168K miles on it is beyond me. There a gear pump and just about never wear out unless the oil has never been changed. There made to pump volume, not much pressure. Cold oil at idle, 40 PSI, hot oil at idle 7 to 10 PSI, hot oil at 2000 RPM, 50 to 70 PSI. Might get to 80 PSI in a new or rebuilt engine.

Check your oil PSI with a real gauge, not the one in the instrument panel.

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
If you're just hell bent on pulling your engine out, run a chain from corner to corner on the lifting eyes. Then with a set of double hooks (two or three links of chain with a hook on each end) position the hoist over the engine. By experimentation lift it a little and adjust till it lifts the way you want it to. Pull it the rest of the way out. After of course you have unhooked, and unbolted everything.

·
Registered
4,274 Posts
Change your sending unit! My 7.3 IDI went 400,000+ miles on the original engine and never had oil pressure issues except for a bad sender. As suggested check pressure using a real gauge.

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
I believe I would check a little closer before doing all of that work too. But then that's why they make chocolate and vanilla.

·
Registered
2,798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for your input guys,
I know all about the reliability, or the lack there of, regarding factory O.P. gauges. My dashboard gauge was reliable, always reading the same. I changed the oil and filter religiously at 3K. I never added an aftermarket O.P. gauge, but I had good intentions of doing just that. We had heavy snowfall here the winter of 2014-15. I found myself plowing day in and day out. I was plowing my driveway one day. Some days I had my window down, other days it was closed. This day it was closed. Suddenly, there was horrific top-end noise. I looked at my gauge and it was bouncing around. It dropped to zero and I shut it down. I got out and looked on the ground and there was no oil. I then checked the oil level and it was full. I went inside to warm up. I came out and started it. Not good. Top-end noise and no O.P. I quickly shut it down. I have nothing left in my life but time. So, I'm restoring the truck. It may not make monetary sense, but I don't care. I'll tell you quickly, rot and rust is prevalent. Where the factory managed to land rustproof, the steel is pristine. Where there is no rustproof, the rust and rot is overwhelming. The rear leaf spring frame brackets and shackles are history. The bed was the new rear leaf spring retainer. I think you get the idea. Oh yeah, at the factory, they had to bend the side lips of the aft fuel tank to squeeze it in between the frame rails. Bend the lips down, everything would be fine. Bend them up and it holds water and road salt. Gee, can you guess what direction they bent them?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts