The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

Registered
99 F250 7.3 2000 F250 7.3 2001 Excursion 7.3 mostly stock all 3
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey gang,
Pretty sure I'm on theft mode, need to reset it.
Tried to cycling with the fob, didn't work.
What happened...the other son's friend swapped out my washer fluid bottle, so removed primary battery etc. So he wanted to check for leaks and that it was working but attempted to start it with only the secondary battery and open circuit on the primary. (I wasn't there so) Anyway it wouldn't start so he put the primary back in and still wouldn't start without being jumped. (Then he called me)
Of course I was ***? That morning it started and ran no hesitation. The batteries aren't even a year old.
I get home and the guages are flippin out, the radio is flashin on and off, theft light blinking, and zero start. I've watched a bunch of videos to no avail. (Good lord there's a ton of stupid **** out there) found some good videos but nothing specific about this situation. The only time I've had anything like this was plugging in an SCT programmer, found out it was chipped, but then I set it back to factory, unplugged it and it has always been fine, that was 6 years ago.
Normally my husband would've been all over it, but he isn't on the planet any longer. He was a fix anything master and also bought his 7.3 in 99 and had knew everything. He got me into 7.3s (I now have 3 of them, lol)
What should I do? I don't wanna pay someone for something this idiotic and simple 馃槙
One thing for sure, that guy ain't ever touching it again!
Thanks for any advice.

Registered
It does not sound like you are in theft mode. I would begin by disconnecting both batteries and checking all the electrical connections and grounds where the work was being performed. If this was a PATS anti-theft concern the dash and radio would not be flippin out. Instead, just the theft light would be blinking.

Reactions: Violet Bee Young

Registered
I agree with Ford Doc. I'd disconnect the batteries and let everything reset.

Reactions: Violet Bee Young

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It does not sound like you are in theft mode. I would begin by disconnecting both batteries and checking all the electrical connections and grounds where the work was being performed. If this was a PATS anti-theft concern the dash and radio would not be flippin out. Instead, just the theft light would be blinking.
Ok....will do. Thank you

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok, so did the cpu/ecu/ecm (whichever) reset. So the dash isn't going nuts now, but for sure it is in theft now. It doing the hazard light click click, theft light is only thing on in dashboard, blinking fast. after the initial all symbols on , turn off. The lights on the factory running boards on and off. That's what it did 6 years ago with the programmer incident.
Again tried the fob lock alarm thing and manually unlocked doors with the key, still in theft mode.
So gonna look for a quick clear solution to that.
Thanks a bunch for responding to my post.
I can do a lot of stuff myself but electrical stuff is a down fall. Which is funny cuz I work for a power utility, lol.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok, so did the cpu/ecu/ecm (whichever) reset. So the dash isn't going nuts now, but for sure it is in theft now. It doing the hazard light click click, theft light is only thing on in dashboard, blinking fast. after the initial all symbols on , turn off. The lights on the factory running boards on and off. That's what it did 6 years ago with the programmer incident.
Again tried the fob lock alarm thing and manually unlocked doors with the key, still in theft mode.
So gonna look for a quick clear solution to that.
Thanks a bunch for responding to my post.
I can do a lot of stuff myself but electrical stuff is a down fall. Which is funny cuz I work for a power utility, lol.
Checked all fuses too , BTW.

Registered
Try a different key.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I tried it with both keys, checked fuses and relays.
All of this started because. This kid that thought he was helping me out tried starting the vehicle without the primary. I have never had trouble with this vehicle not starting. That is the only thing that was different than any other day.
My oldest son went into hospital for a serious leg injury Friday night so haven't even thought of anything but that until today.
Thanks for responding

Registered
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Soooo, outcome of the theft mode dibacle....
Took a good scanner and finally got it cleared.
Still wouldn't start, both 1 year old batteries had a dead cell. They tested at 12.5, but wouldn't start it. Took them to local Napa shop and same test results. Bought 2 new batteries for my 7.3 pickup , put those in and started right up.
Napa exchanged the 1 year old ones and no worries now.
Thanks for all your help guys.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts