The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are the new trucks with push button start any less suseptable to theft?

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
F250 are the #1 stolen vehicles in Arizona, have ravellco in my 7.3, wondering thoughts on new fob thefts or fear of theft

·
Registered
286 Posts
The newer the truck the harder it is to steal. But there is nothing a thief won't do if he wants your truck. Talk to your dealer and ask how hard it is to make off with your truck. Maybe he has a idea on what to do.

·
Registered
5,059 Posts
The PATS system in late model trucks whether keyed or Intelligent Access requires a programmed fob to operate the vehicle. Programming takes time which thieves do not have. As stated, a motivated thief equipped with a tow truck can help himself to pretty much any vehicle... anti-theft be damned... though the horn and lights may be going nuts while he does it.

·
Registered
520 Posts
My opinion based on what I have seen with my truck is that a thief will not be able to start and drive the vehicle without a key fob. The pushbutton start will not work without a fob present. If you use the remote start, you cannot drive until you push the start button with the fob in the vehicle. The newer vehicles also transmit their location to you if you have the Ford Pass app setup on your phone, so you'll always know where the vehicle is at even if it is taken (at least until the part that is transmitting the location is removed or has no power). They can get it with a tow truck, but would still have a heck of a time trying to do anything with it other than chop it up for parts. I like to think that no dealer would sell a new fob or program it to the vehicle without proof of ownership. Other than the built-in anti-theft features, the only other option I can think of is a good insurance policy.

·
Registered
5,059 Posts
Ummm.... As far as I know anyone can purchase an Intelligent Access fob and since it is not a physical key that needs to be cut there is no paperwork involved. (I'll check on that) Of course if you have some fobs of the correct type laying around they may be used. The fobs need only be programmed to the vehicle by someone with access to the necessary software and scan tool.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Ummm.... As far as I know anyone can purchase an Intelligent Access fob and since it is not a physical key that needs to be cut there is no paperwork involved. (I'll check on that) Of course if you have some fobs of the correct type laying around they may be used. The fobs need only be programmed to the vehicle by someone with access to the necessary software and scan tool.
I guess what I was really thinking was that I would not expect some random person to be able to show up with at a dealership with a vehicle on a tow truck and claim they lost all the fobs and be able to just buy a new fob and get it programmed without having to prove they owned the vehicle. It's a far stretch and probably unlikely that a thief would try it. If someone showed up with the vehicle and a working fob, I wouldn't even give it a second thought if they were getting another one.

·
Registered
5,059 Posts
Technically it is possible to tow a truck in and use the name and address on the registration and any phone number and have a vehicle written up and repaired. Usually a customer will call our service department and they are already a customer that is in our system. I don't think we would even question someone who was from "out of town" and lost their key. Just use the name and address on the registration and a any phone number and I doubt anyone would even question it. Pay the bill and you are gone. "Have a nice trip sir!"

1 - 9 of 9 Posts