The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have found a 2004 F250 with 125000 miles. I am completly new to diesels and I was just looking for any suggestions about whether I should look into this truck any futher. I do not know if this a truck worth buying or not.

· Super Moderator
9,203 Posts
The 2004 will have the 6.0 engine in it and in my opinion they are more of a problem than they are worth. The factory didn't start to work the bugs out of them until late 2006 or 2007. You should go over to the 6.0 forum and read up on the problems that they have and are still having. The better engine is the 7.3 which can be found in a few 2003 trucks or bounce up to the 6.4 if you are looking for a used one.

· Registered
30 Posts
If you buy any '03-'07 6.0L PSD you WILL regret it.

...From the "kiss-of-death" Factory Gold coolant that it was originally filled with to the logic of putting the oil cooler on top of the motor to the undersized "TTY" head studs.....a VERY poor product.

Here...read this before you buy....

http://www.courthousenews.com/2010/11/09/Ford.pdf

· Registered
175 Posts
I wouldn't buy it and I own one. To me the bigger question is why do you want a diesel? If you do a lot of towing, like I do, then ok. If you don't then personally I would stay with a gasser. Maintenance routine and cost is much higher on a diesel and if something fails it's likely to cost much, much more to repair.

· Registered
366 Posts
First of all - what's been done to this engine already? Have all the known problems been fixed? A lot of the bad press comes from a misinterpretation of what went wrong. A lot of head gaskets were replaced when the problem was a clogged oil cooler causing an EGR cooler breakdown. Get the OASIS report for it. Before buying hook up a guage (SCT, BULLYDOG etc.) and take it for a hard drive with a load. Watch the difference between the Engine Oil Temp and the Engine Coolant temp. They should not be more than 15 degrees apart. If they are - skip on this truck. If not, then you are probably OK. Yes there are things known to go wrong with this engine that should not be, but they are all known and all can be addressed. If you are getting a premium no rust loaded to the hilt and no accident vehicle for a real good price - and - you are prepared to address the known problems then why not? If you really want to be sure, make a deal with a local Diesel shop to get everything done, studs, new oil cooler, new EGR or EGR delete, and a set of guages to monitor the engine with you will wind up with a known quantity that you can rely on. Should cost you less than 5K to take care of evrything.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.