The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,631 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
30 years ago today, 8-8-88, was my first day at Ford Motor Company. Coincidentally, today I came across one of my original business cards. I stayed there (in various departments) for 18.5 years.

Attachments

·
Registered
17,604 Posts
All 8 s ever feel like you were behind the 8 ball?

·
Super Moderator
11,631 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes. There was a reason I left Ford in 2007.

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
So... any secret stash of test trucks from back then we can go and try to buy from them?

The one I would really like to get my hands on is the Tonka truck. I saw it at the Toronto Auto Show in '03 (I believe). I wonder if there are more than one of those. Toby Keith drove it on his music video, "Who's Your Daddy".

·
Registered
141 Posts
do you miss it

·
Super Moderator
11,631 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
So... any secret stash of test trucks from back then we can go and try to buy from them?

The one I would really like to get my hands on is the Tonka truck.
That was a show truck. There were never test trucks, there was no plan to put that in production.

do you miss it
At times I do, but towards the end of my tenure there the stress levels were so high that I'm confident it would have killed me to stay there. My father was an engineer and supervisor at Ford just like me. He died of a heart attack at 55. I wasn't going to let that happen to me.

I did have a lot of fun, too. I worked on off road race trucks for a couple years, and got to ride a test session with Rob MacCachren, too. That was wild! Ford sent me to advanced driving schools, including Bondurant. I'm very glad for the experience, and glad it's over, too.

I'm still friends with a lot of my former coworkers. They often post their frustrations with the job on Facebook. I thank them for reminding me why I'm glad I'm not there any longer.

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
30 years ago today, 8-8-88, was my first day at Ford Motor Company. Coincidentally, today I came across one of my original business cards. I stayed there (in various departments) for 18.5 years.

Here is a weird one for ya - I started with Ford (dealer) on 8-16-88. By the way, still at the same place and have mixed feelings about staying in the business this long. Glad yo hear you could make a change for yourself!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts