The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I Bought and installed the front receiver hitch from e-trailer.com that bolts in with the blocker beam and has the 2” tube receiver below the front bumper so as not to interfere with the factory fog lights.
The worst part of the job is trying to get the nut loose from the front bolt which holds the leaf spring and allows an additional bracket to be added. (Hernia in the making!) The nut is extremely tight, and has locktite on the threads. I broke a wrench used as a back up on the bolt end.
The installation video shows the truck on a lift. Not having that luxury I had to find a way to get more leverage. I’ve posted a picture that shows the front tire removed, front bumper bracket unbolted and swung out of the way (yellow arrow), deepwell impact socket, breaker bar(red arrow), and pipe cheater(green arrow), allowing pressure to be pushed down on breaker bar. Just about the time I thought I was going to snap the breaker bar the nut broke loose but is still extremely difficult coming off.

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks for posting. I have been looking for just this type of hitch for my 2004 F350. Can you share the model number or a link to the one you ordered?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
NMElkHunter, I will try to attach the link for my 2002 which is part # C13014 at etrailer.com but I did not see the same style hitch for the 2004. The ‘02 use the blocker beam to put the hitch below the bumper. I’m not sure of any design change on the frame/bumper between those years, You’ll have to take a look and see.

https://www.etrailer.com/fmr-2002_Ford_F-250+and+F-350+Super+Duty.htm?

·
Premium Member
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Also, I did some research on the etrailer website and their Q. & A. section as their info is misleading— for mine the vertical load (carrier, snowplow, etc. is 500 lbs.
Trailering max weight is 5000 lbs. and
Direct line pull is 9000 lbs.

·
Premium Member
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Update: since my original post I have dropped the hitch and blocker beam, added two more receivers, welded together as one unit, bolted back up, made draw bars that go from the back of the blocker beam/hitch along the leafs, between the frame and shocks, and bolts to the frame at about a 20* angle— what a beast! Getting it ready for a custom winch plate and 12K or 15K winch and snowplow.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Built a MOVE bumper and put a Receiver in it

I bought a DIY bumper kit for my F250 Superduty...got the basic plain Jane one so I could mod it to be the way I want it and I cut a hole in the 1/4 inch (upgrade) center section and put a receiver hitch in there. I also welded in a gusset inside the bumper that is on the bottom of the receiver and then a couple of 1/4 by 2 inch braces that support the receiver vertical and horizontally. It is probably overkill for a front hitch, but I'd rather have some overkill and NEVER wind up bending/breaking anything. NOTE...in the picture the bumper is UPSIDE DOWN as it is suspended from an engine hoist by the strap through the receiver.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I bought a DIY bumper kit for my F250 Superduty...got the basic plain Jane one so I could mod it to be the way I want it and I cut a hole in the 1/4 inch (upgrade) center section and put a receiver hitch in there. I also welded in a gusset inside the buper that is on the bottom of the receiver and then a couple of 1/4 by 2 inch braces that support the receiver vertical and horizontally. It is probably overkill for a front hitch, but I'd rather have some overkill and NEVER wind up bending/breaking anything. NOTE...in the picture the bumper is UPSIDE DOWN as it is suspended from an engine hoist by the strap through the receiver.
Looks good 👍

·
Premium Member
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I built this bull bar which is inserted and pinned to all three receivers, and will stay unless I put in the winch plate or snow plow. Still haven’t painted it yet but do have it all polished down with the blue dart

Attachments

·
Registered
112 Posts
I ending up welding a front hitch up with two receivers to hold my dirt bike. I need to make another one up for my 2018.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
As quite a bit of more time may elapse (I can never seem to get time off) I wanted to give an update. With the triple receiver built, I finished the tube frame, 1/4” winch plate, and wrap around Guard for the 17,500 lb. winch I purchased, protecting the plastic control box and clutch (spoollever from a deer impact.
I was really happy how tight in to the front of the truck I was able to make the installation. Next step will be completing the the wiring, ( I bought the blue seas 600A continuous On/Off switch and heavy Amp disconnect plugs) ,disassemble winch frame and have powder coated. Here’s some pictures: Merry Christmas to everyone! Glenn

Attachments

·
Registered
54 Posts
Nice looking installation! From the side it sure looks neatly tucked back in there compared to views from directly in front. How much does it wind up weighing? Is it going to be a permanent front mount? Curious, because it looks like you may be taking it all off of the front and carrying it in the bed of the truck until actually needed. Or are you going to make a hitch system either for the back of the truck or maybe one that bolts into the bed like a fifth wheel hitch so you can use it both front and back if/when needed in either spot? I can see where it would be handy to be able to remove it and install a stinger in the front when you want to push some kind of a trailer around the yard.

·
Premium Member
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Nice looking installation! From the side it sure looks neatly tucked back in there compared to views from directly in front. How much does it wind up weighing? Is it going to be a permanent front mount? Curious, because it looks like you may be taking it all off of the front and carrying it in the bed of the truck until actually needed. Or are you going to make a hitch system either for the back of the truck or maybe one that bolts into the bed like a fifth wheel hitch so you can use it both front and back if/when needed in either spot? I can see where it would be handy to be able to remove it and install a stinger in the front when you want to push some kind of a trailer around the yard.
The winch just by itself weighs 145 lbs. - with the framework I’m guessing 220lbs.
For now, to be removable, I’m going to make lifting eyes and use my shop crane (cherry picker) to slide in and out for install/uninstall. 25 years ago I probably would have just man handled it with no thought otherwise- but age sucks 😉 This spring I’m going to upgrade from a rear class 3 to a class 4 hitch. At that time I may modify it for putting the winch on the back also.

I’m not an off roader—though I plan to buy a truck camper and occasionally get off the beaten path and am setting the truck up double duty for farm use.

The Big Tex Grill Guard helps to make the winch look tucked in even more as the Guard stands out from the front of the truck aways.

·
Registered
54 Posts
but age sucks 😉
Yeah, I get that!!! But then getting older is a good bit better than the alternative!

I'm in my seventies biologically/chronologically, but my brain still thinks I'm 25, which gets me into trouble occasionally:saythat:

·
Premium Member
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
but age sucks 😉
Yeah, I get that!!! But then getting older is a good bit better than the alternative!

I'm in my seventies biologically/chronologically, but my brain still thinks I'm 25, which gets me into trouble occasionally
Well - you made me feel like a young man! Thanks! 😁. I’m 56 - am a Welder in a Casting Foundry (Olin Brass) and work swing shift 🙄 I Try to work smarter now than all them years previous and frequent trips to the chiropractor.

·
Premium Member
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Wiring done on the winch & some pictures

All, Sorry for the long post but moving forward slowly, I’m really happy with the finished electrical for the 17.5K winch. Used the top of the battery/air filter box to mount nylon blocks for the explosion proof blue seas switch and a Spartan ANL ceramic fuse holder with shield. Added a zip tie hold down that is not provided for by the manufacturer and a welding lens shield towards the battery for a complete barrier, if I should have the 350Amp fuse blow. I’m going to start with the 350A fuse but have 400’s if I need them. (Note: there’s enough play in the cables that the battery terminals can be disconnected and the battery/air filter top still lifts off with switch/fuse holder in place and rotates forward to completely remove the battery)

For the 2/0 weldind leads and 350 amp quick plugs, I didn’t want anything showing or hanging off the front of truck when winch is removed. Fabricated a SS Bracket bolted to bumper and to that bolted a rear 1969 Chevelle license plate bracket (spring loaded- the type you pulled down to put in the gas). Mount the quick plugs to the back side and looks very clean (IMO) and when winch is removed all sign of winch power vanishes.

I Gave her a test run and all is good, once the winch frame is powder coated and everything reassembled I’ll see if I can’t figure out how to do a video of the winch in action.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Got the “lift” put together for installing/removing the big winch........ or if I kill a really huge whitetail ... Lol

Attachments

·
Premium Member
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Just an update picture after having it powdercoated:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well I finally extended the lower air dam, giving a finished look to the front of the truck and the receivers for my winch and snow plow. While I don’t expect any gain in mpg it should reduce air turbulence under the truck and left me 10” of clearance. This new “vigoro plastic composite edging” is great to work with! It is a fairly stiff plastic, yet flexes without cracking, and 5” wide. Used the heat gun and made a tight 180* bend back around to the inside of the original air dam, behind the bumper with no cracking .

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
25,020 Posts
Nice Job!! :thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts