The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2000 F350 /7.3.
Gear shift lever has gone totally floppy..will not engage to shift...just completely loose ..had garage correct similar several years ago but the condition wasn't completely as gone as now. Before I tear into the column I was hoping to get some feed back

Thanks
GearLess in Gastonia,NC

·
Registered
2,846 Posts
If it's not the torx bolts underneath you probably need a new plastic coupler. It just gets worn out.

·
Registered
659 Posts
If it's the shift lever itself,easy fix.

Two Philips screws underside of cover, just one bolt holds the lever.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Turned out to be about a 5 on scale of 10 to repair. The problem was a broken shaft internal to the steering column shift tube. Was able to source quickly at local StealerShip for $75.00. If I could have waited, on line source for about half that cost.
Four bolts to drop the steering column down to access the #30 torx holding the u-clamps on the bushings and tube. Replaced complete new tube, internal shaft AND new bushings. Spring and lever check piece removed from old tube assembly and placed in new. Made sure and applied high quality lithium grease to each new bushing (2). The biggest female dog was one of the two #30 torx that couple the shift tube to the gear change assembly. One torx mated right up, the other not so easily...to do over, I would install the top right bolt FIRST as the lower left is a bit more accessible . Very pleased with repair, no slop in the lever or linkage.

Back -IN-Gear in Gastonia

1 - 4 of 4 Posts