The Diesel Stop banner

21 - 40 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks for all the information. I went to my local Ford dealer and talked to the service manager. He pretty much said what rforsythe said. If they install the parts they are only covered under the standard 12 month/12,000 mile warranty. I will install the parts myself as ford wants over $600 in labor to install them. Just to have them enable the second alternator in the PCM is one hour of diagonistic fee or $111.50. I was able to talk to a tech and he told me it takes all of 5 minutes to turn it on in the PCM. Whats a guy to do? I sould have ordered it with duals from the factory I guess.

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
I'm half way through my 3rd winter with this truck. I remote start it frequently and I know the rapid heat is on during those remote starts. Often in the morning, it also has the marker lights on, since they come on automatically with the remote start. And I just haven't had a problem.

If I knew I was going to be using a winch, I'd just make sure the truck was warmed up past 100° on the coolant so the Rapid Heat shut off, before I ran the winch. You are talking 5 minutes at idle and even less time if you are driving before the Rapid Heat turns itself off. If you review the operation of the Rapid Heat you will see it turns on automatically if the coolant is less than 80° and turns off once the coolant passes 100°. So it is never on very long. And if you have had the truck running, it won't be a draw at all.

The single alternator is pretty simple to change out when they fail. Two bolts, all on top of the engine. The hardest part is changing out the belt. My experience has been the alternator dying around 100,000 miles, So it's a given to change the belt at the same time.

The second alternator, if it fails is a bugger to get to, as evident by Fords charging $600 labor to install one. I seriously considered ordering the dual when I ordered mine, But decided I'd gamble on getting enough voltage from one.

·
Registered
626 Posts
I tell all of my customers to get it. Plus it is a added safty bonus if one goes bad plus its driven by another belt.. I had a customer fry a belt and if it was not full the extras alternator he would have not made it to shere he was going.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Actually the second alternator is driven by the same belt that drives the primary alternator and everything else on the front of the engine. There is only one belt on the 6.7 powerstroke. I just did this mod to my truck. The only differance is the dual alternator belt is longer.

·
Registered
16 Posts
2ND ALTERNATOR

That is correct , both alternators and the rest of your equipment is driven by 1 belt . As a safety factor because I spend so much time off-pavement , I usually replace the belt after only 15,000 miles and keep the belt I take off ( I put in the same package the new one came in and stick it in my tool box ) just in case I loose a belt .............AIN'T NO AUTO CLUB OR TOW TRUCKS IN THE JICARRILLO (APACHE INDIAN RESERVATION) OR OUT IN THE LOW OR HIGH DESERT .:thumbsup:W5DVC911

·
Registered
690 Posts
I tell all of my customers to get it. Plus it is a added safty bonus if one goes bad plus its driven by another belt.. I had a customer fry a belt and if it was not full the extras alternator he would have not made it to shere he was going.
I assume this was a 6.0L? (Which has different belts for each alternator)

I usually replace the belt after only 15,000 miles and keep the belt I take off ( I put in the same package the new one came in and stick it in my tool box)

15,000 miles really? Whew... I feel bad if you were doing that on your 2006. But really, 15,000 seems a bit excessive. What is Ford's recommended service interval for the serp belt?

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
Hmmm I still have the factory installed belt on my truck, 300,000+ miles and over 16-1/2 years, no cracks in the drive ribs, no fraying on the edges, I check it frequently. Yes, the spare I bought "just in case" is now about 10-12 yrs old and still behind the seat with the new tensioner & idler and all the tools to install them all.

I could see carrying TWO spare belts but it sounds like W5DVC911 would have TWENTY by the time he gets to 300K! ;-)

I still have a PSD brochure from when I was shopping for my truck that says IH/FMC tested the serpetine belt for 100,000 miles minimum life expectancy on the OBS trucks.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I assume this was a 6.0L? (Which has different belts for each alternator)

15,000 miles really? Whew... I feel bad if you were doing that on your 2006. But really, 15,000 seems a bit excessive. What is Ford's recommended service interval for the serp belt?
I guess you just don't ge it . Replacing a perfectly good belt with a new one so if I LOOSE ONE I HAVE A SPARE . I HUNT THE JICARRILLO IN NEW MEXICO , THE HIGH & LOW DESERT IN ARIZONA................AIN'T NO AUTO CLUB OR TOW TRUCKS WHERE I HUNT. IF YOU BREAK YOU WALK !!!!! GET IT!!!!!!! YOU GUYS SPEND TOO MUCH TIME ON PAVEMENT!!!!!!

·
Registered
16 Posts
I guess you just don't ge it . Replacing a perfectly good belt with a new one so if I LOOSE ONE I HAVE A SPARE . I HUNT THE JICARRILLO IN NEW MEXICO , THE HIGH & LOW DESERT IN ARIZONA................AIN'T NO AUTO CLUB OR TOW TRUCKS WHERE I HUNT. IF YOU BREAK YOU WALK !!!!! GET IT!!!!!!! YOU GUYS SPEND TOO MUCH TIME ON PAVEMENT!!!!!!
OOOOPS SORRY JUST REALIZED THAT YOU'RE FROM MARYLAND.NEVERMIND. HOW'S THE HUNTIN AROUND BALTIMORE , THAT'S RIGHT YOU GUYS DON'T KNOW WHAT THAT IS ANYMORE .

·
Registered
626 Posts
they must have changed it from the 6.0...

I was not aways that they went to a single belt now. I guess I learned something today :)

·
Registered
690 Posts
OOOOPS SORRY JUST REALIZED THAT YOU'RE FROM MARYLAND.NEVERMIND. HOW'S THE HUNTIN AROUND BALTIMORE , THAT'S RIGHT YOU GUYS DON'T KNOW WHAT THAT IS ANYMORE .

Easy W5DVC, I wasn't bashing you. I was simply stating that changing the serp belt on the 6.0 is a PITA (compared to a 7.3, and many other model vehicles).

The serp belt service interval for a 6.7 is "inspect at 90K miles" and "replace at 150K." After seeing belts on 6.0 trucks and 6.4 trucks with 100K miles that look basically unworn, it was surprising to me to hear of your changing them at 15K intervals. I would think that changing your belts at half of the "inspection" interval (45K miles) would more than double your safety factor.

By the way, before jumping to conclusion about where we hunt in MD you should try it. There are plenty of areas in Md (and the east coast in general) that are back in the sticks and are not serviced by your "recovery" companies.

Anyway, good to see that your are practicing intensive PM on your vehicles that many others do not.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Easy W5DVC, I wasn't bashing you. I was simply stating that changing the serp belt on the 6.0 is a PITA (compared to a 7.3, and many other model vehicles).

The serp belt service interval for a 6.7 is "inspect at 90K miles" and "replace at 150K." After seeing belts on 6.0 trucks and 6.4 trucks with 100K miles that look basically unworn, it was surprising to me to hear of your changing them at 15K intervals. I would think that changing your belts at half of the "inspection" interval (45K miles) would more than double your safety factor.

By the way, before jumping to conclusion about where we hunt in MD you should try it. There are plenty of areas in Md (and the east coast in general) that are back in the sticks and are not serviced by your "recovery" companies.

Anyway, good to see that your are practicing intensive PM on your vehicles that many others do not.
Well sorry about that . But it seems at times that the only discussion on here on the 4X4 aspect of our trucks has to do with problems with your snowplow package . My trucks are not TRAILER QUEENS & I don't get insecure when I drive more than 50 miles from the pavement . I don't relax until my cell phone shows it's out of the service area . Afterall I'm a HAM RADIO OPERATOR and my RADIO STATION TRAVELS WITH ME .W5DVC911

·
Registered
16 Posts
Well sorry about that . But it seems at times that the only discussion on here on the 4X4 aspect of our trucks has to do with problems with your snowplow package . My trucks are not TRAILER QUEENS & I don't get insecure when I drive more than 50 miles from the pavement . I don't relax until my cell phone shows it's out of the service area . Afterall I'm a HAM RADIO OPERATOR and my RADIO STATION TRAVELS WITH ME .W5DVC911
Well I'm anxious . My New 2013 F-250 IS IN . In order to get the dual alternator set-up , I had to SPECIAL ORDER the truck . It's here now , I'll
pick it up from TOMBALL FORD ( TOMBALL TEXAS/HOUSTON ) this coming Tuesday morning . W5DVC :thumbsup:

·
Registered
4 Posts
I know this thread is a month old but I felt that I need to add my experience to the thread because I haven't heard anyone mention doing it the way I did it and it might help a future forum member in regards to considering all options when wanting more amps out of his alternator.

Instead of going with a dual alt configuration And after a lot of research I called the guys over at mechman alternators and bought there heavy duty 370 amp alternator. It was actually bench tested at 390 amps max all with just a simple swap out of my stock single alternator on my 6.7. Not saying its the best way to do but It but I'm getting more amperage than with guys with a dual alt set up. And if I ever wanted more I still have the option to add that second alt.

·
Registered
592 Posts
I know this thread is a month old but I felt that I need to add my experience to the thread because I haven't heard anyone mention doing it the way I did it and it might help a future forum member in regards to considering all options when wanting more amps out of his alternator.

Instead of going with a dual alt configuration And after a lot of research I called the guys over at mechman alternators and bought there heavy duty 370 amp alternator. It was actually bench tested at 390 amps max all with just a simple swap out of my stock single alternator on my 6.7. Not saying its the best way to do but It but I'm getting more amperage than with guys with a dual alt set up. And if I ever wanted more I still have the option to add that second alt.
We usually order dual alternator on our trucks because the dual's have ~250A of output at idle which in our experience is where the aftermarket high output alternators seem to struggle.

Looking at the Mechman site the 370A Elite alternator starts at $699 compared to the $380 MSRP (so ~$315 actual cost) for the dual alternator option from Ford which is factory installed and is covered by the factory warranty which for us makes the aftermarket option not a viable one.

·
Registered
4 Posts
We usually order dual alternator on our trucks because the dual's have ~250A of output at idle which in our experience is where the aftermarket high output alternators seem to struggle.

Looking at the Mechman site the 370A Elite alternator starts at $699 compared to the $380 MSRP (so ~$315 actual cost) for the dual alternator option from Ford which is factory installed and is covered by the factory warranty which for us makes the aftermarket option not a viable one.
That's exactly why I said it may not be the best option for some. Definitely would not make much sense for someone ordering the truck with the duals ahead of time. But the op obviously did not order duals from the factory so I simply gave him and others alike another option. Thanks for sharing that it wouldn't work for your situation, great, I'm glad there are other options out there and people who read this that are in the same situation as you will benefit from it. As for the output at idle, well with the combination of mechmans overdrive pulley and fords big crank my alt was bench tested at 274 amps at idle and I need all the output I can get.

·
Premium Member
1,619 Posts
Yes, I'm regenerating a 5 year old thread. With my new 5th wheel and six 6-volt batteries, I'm finding that the truck does a poor job of charging the RV batteries. Before my next trip in the spring, I'm going to replace all the incandescent lights on the truck with LED's and am doing research on either a dual alternator setup or one high amperage alternator. Does a dual setup cut into fuel economy? I'd appreciate any input that anyone could provide. One thing that concerns me with the duals is 'dealer programming'. With the work that I've done, I don't want a dealer programming anything on my truck. Is programming a must? I'd like to just install the extra one for charging trailer batteries. Run a 8 gauge wire from the output, through a circuit breaker, to the distribution panel for my batteries. Again, any input would be appreciated.

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
21 - 40 of 65 Posts