The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First, the story. Got a bone stock 1997 7.3 F-250 2x4 190k. For the last year it would randomly lose the throttle for 3-5 seconds throw a CEL and sit at idle usually when taking off then be back instantly. It got progressively worse so I changed out the TPS. Now I have no throttle at all and on start up (just a steady idle) and I get both a CEL on and OD off light blinking. I switched the old TPS back in but no change. Tested the IVS and it was good (even tried jumping the connector with no change). Cleaned all connectors and reset everything by unhooking the batteries with no change.

Any ideas? I have no ability to get codes unless I have it towed to a facility so I'd rather not have to do that. It's been a long time since I've been here (had to start a new profile) if anyone can help me out it's you guys. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
Jumping the IVS won't help you. Remember, the PCM needs to see the sequence/transition of the IVS open, then closed, before it will raise the engine RPM above idle. Did you confirm both the open and closed state of the IVS?

Time to get an AeroForce Interceptor or AE.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was assuming the PCM wasn't that smart but looks like it out smarted me. I went back and tested the IVS under 12v load and the switch went from fully open to fully closed.

·
Registered
783 Posts
I would install a new Cam Position Sensor. When they go bad, they can do funny things and cause intermittent run issues - though I've never heard of one causing an engine to go to idle.

Purchase the CPS from Ford or IHC - the off-brand versions are known to be problematic. It will cost $25 or so and take 15 minutes of your time. If there is no change in the engine run, you'll have a spare CPS for the glovebox.

Can't comment on the IVS, since i don't even know what it is :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
***UPDATE*** I fixed my throttle issues and made a video about it including the symptoms. You guys were a big help by keeping me from going down the wrong path. I hope this helps others and keeps them from pulling too much of their hair out.

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
Didn't know you owned a powerstroke also. Had been watching your videos for awhile. The series on the deuce.

Anyways sounds like it was the IVS. When you tested it, were you actuating the whole pedal by hand? Or just the sensor itself?
If the latter, that skewed the results. Sometimes all you have to do is adjust the tab that actuates it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

1 - 7 of 7 Posts