The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is the third time this has happened. The first two times was on open road and lasted 3-4 seconds. I was able to keep it under wraps with just a slightly raised heart rate before it let off. The first time I looked to make sure the throttle was not hooking on the floor mat or anything, which the mat was totally clear of the throttle. That time I had my SCT tune in it, so when it stuck wide open it took off like a rocket. The second time I had it tuned to stock and it wasn't as dramatic but still got my attention. Today, it literally scared the crap out of me. I was tuned with a fast tune and I had punched it to get across the street and let off the throttle half way across the street...except the truck kept going like a rocket. The pedal was not stuck to the floor it had popped back out but the truck was still floored. I had every ounce of strength pushing on the brake and all it did was keep it from going to much faster...I was still going a solid 25 mph with the brakes mashed. I was heading full bore into the car directly in front of me. As a last resort I killed the ignition and was able to stop the forward motion less than 6" or so before smashing into the car in front of me. She quickly stopped at the next stop sign jumped out of her car and gave me the one finger salute, but before I could even start to give her the reason she jumped back in and took off.
I was just wondering if anyone has ever heard of this problem. It's not the chip since it happened once 100% stock. I know these are electronic throttles with redundant sensors...but I thought if they got a false reading they defaulted with zero throttle...not WOT. But anyway, one way or the other I need to get this fixed before I plow right over top of someone one of these days. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Thanks for any help,
Mike

·
Registered
91 Posts
This must be a first. Never seen any post here with your condition. Bring it in and make sure they find a problem. Make sure they can "Duplicate Cutomer Concern" or dont accept it back under any condition. Do not accept anything less. Sounds like an accident waiting to happen. Hope yours is a one time thing and doesnt effect same year models. Keep us informed as to the cause and cure.

·
Registered
448 Posts
YOur Go Pedal has three sensors on it. The computer will allow it to operate with one of the three sensors failing, but not with two bad sensors. One of the three senosrs reads the exact oposite of the other two sensors. The computer compares those sensors at all times. If one goes bad, you get a Check Engine Light. If two go bad the computer will allow an idle...but nothing else.

Based on this logic, it seems the only way to get a stuck WOT is to have the pedal mashed to the floor board or an altered computer program. Or all three sensors would have to send WOT to the computer at the same time. That seems far fetched. I'd be talking to the chip manufactirer on this one.

Nate

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have a call into the service department and waiting for a call back right now. The "Duplicate Customer Concern" is going to be the biggest problem. One thing I forgot to say is this is the third time in happened but it has taken almost 4 months for all three times. So they are few and far between occurrences. I agree it very much needs to be fixed...and fast. I think I'm going to make them at least replace the whole throttle assembly. I'm not sure if anything else is in the system or not...besides the PCM. I will defiantly keep any updates going as I find them out.

Mike

·
Registered
308 Posts
Mike, might also want to put a call into an attorney and give them a heads up on what is going on. Also let the service mamager know that you have spoken with one...in a nice way. This way, if the worst does happen you are at least prepared.

I had to do the same thing when mine would just shut off for no reason. Almost caused two accidents, one of which almost killed me. My attorney still has all the files on my truck and will till I decide otherwise. This way if something does happen he can take immediate action.

Hope you get it all worked out.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Any chance your floor mat is sticking under the pedal, holding down the sensor?

·
Registered
529 Posts
I'll second that floormat/obstruction comment. It happened to me in another vehicle. I could have sworn the floormat wasn't the problem. It even felt like the pedal was being pulled away fromunder my foot.

I didn't give the floormats a thought because I had just purchased the WeatherTech guaranteed-not-to-slip-while-holding-1/2-gallon-of-mud mats.

Guess what. They slipped.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The floor mats aren't the problem...the first two times the stock ones were in there but I checked and rechecked to see if they would interfere and I couldn't get them to cause any problems. This last time...my floor mat wasn't even there, I had all four of them out cause I washed them and had yet to put them back in. Plus I had actually looked down to see if the pedal was stuck to the floor or had sprung back. It was all the way back in the no throttle position. I did get a call from the service manager and he is ordering a new throttle position switch and is getting me in on Wednesday to have it put in. He seemed very genuinely concerned about the situation and really wanted me to bring it in as soon as possible. I'm running stock programing until it's fixed. It a bit easier to stop a stock powered truck then a souped up one!! Such as yesterdays event.

Thanks for all the comments!!
Mike

·
Registered
5,976 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
The floor mats aren't the problem...the first two times the stock ones were in there but I checked and rechecked to see if they would interfere and I couldn't get them to cause any problems. This last time...my floor mat wasn't even there, I had all four of them out cause I washed them and had yet to put them back in. Plus I had actually looked down to see if the pedal was stuck to the floor or had sprung back. It was all the way back in the no throttle position. I did get a call from the service manager and he is ordering a new throttle position switch and is getting me in on Wednesday to have it put in. He seemed very genuinely concerned about the situation and really wanted me to bring it in as soon as possible. I'm running stock programing until it's fixed. It a bit easier to stop a stock powered truck then a souped up one!! Such as yesterdays event.

Thanks for all the comments!!
Mike

[/ QUOTE ]

In all seriousness, file a complaint here: http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/

That way, if this is a more widespread problem than just a very rare occurance, Ford will be forced to focus on fixing the issue.

Hammer

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
[ QUOTE ]
Your Go Pedal has three sensors on it. The computer will allow it to operate with one of the three sensors failing, but not with two bad sensors. One of the three sensors reads the exact opposite of the other two sensors. The computer compares those sensors at all times. If one goes bad, you get a Check Engine Light. If two go bad the computer will allow an idle...but nothing else.

Based on this logic, it seems the only way to get a stuck WOT is to have the pedal mashed to the floor board or an altered computer program. Or all three sensors would have to send WOT to the computer at the same time. That seems far fetched. I'd be talking to the chip manufacturer on this one.

Nate

[/ QUOTE ]

That was one of my first concerns. Except the first time I had and SCT program in it, the second time it was 100% stock...since it went into the dealer earlier that week. The last time I was using my Edge chip temporary. So since it has happened with one box, one programmer and once completely stock it seems to make the theory even more complicated. Also as stated earlier, I only have the stock floor mats which after trying and trying I could not get it to interfere with the throttle pedal, and this last time, the mats where not even in the truck. I do agree with you on how the sensors are supposed to work and makes me wonder if the problem is not deeper in the system. I have no idea exactly what the "inside" of the throttle position sensor looks like. But I'm wondering if the inside that moves to decide throttle position is sticking temporary even though the actual pedal is back to zero throttle position. Maybe someone that has seen one of these things up close can tell me if that's even a possiblity.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Mike

·
Registered
2 Posts
My 05 350 which is bone stock did the same thing about a mounth ago. I pulled out of a parking lot and started to speed up and the truck just took off. The pedal was all the way up like it would be for idle and the truck was at 3000 rpm for about 5 seconds. It has not done it since.

·
Registered
448 Posts
I sure hope you guiys are documenting this with the National Highway Transportation Safety Board (or whatever they are called). If the throttles stick and it happens to more than one poster on TDS, it's probably happening to more people that don't post here. They need to know about these sorts of things.

Nate

·
Registered
5,976 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
My 05 350 which is bone stock did the same thing about a mounth ago. I pulled out of a parking lot and started to speed up and the truck just took off. The pedal was all the way up like it would be for idle and the truck was at 3000 rpm for about 5 seconds. It has not done it since.

[/ QUOTE ]

you should also file a NHTSA complaint.

Hammer

·
Registered
232 Posts
Add me to the list of owners with this complaint. It has happened to me twice. Once at 60 mph when I pulled out to pass and once from a dead takeoff.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Seems this is more common then we think. I can't imagine how scary that would be with a sct tune and traffic. Maybe we can get a little more info from the people this has happend to. what year trucks, build dates ect.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Now I'm nervous. My throttle light (the little wrench) has come on twice in the last week. My truck had a hiccup, but, didn't take off. I guess I should call. The manual says to take it in if this light comes on. It does goe off when you shut truck off.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
[ QUOTE ]
Seems this is more common then we think. I can't imagine how scary that would be with a sct tune and traffic. Maybe we can get a little more info from the people this has happened to. what year trucks, build dates ect.

[/ QUOTE ]

Trust me...it was VERY scary!! It was just the Edge chip this time, but even the Edge on 5/5 is pretty fast. Usually I don't drive without my SCT installed but I just had the Edge in temporally. It was taking off so hard even with the brakes MASHED as hard as I could push on them I saw the back of the car coming and I thought for sure I was going to demolish the back of her little Santa Fe. I came so close by the time I killed the ignition that I actually thought I did hit her. Then realized I was just inches away.
Just as StuckInTheMud said...if it's happened to a hand full of us on TDS it has to be a bigger problem country wide. I'll defiantly be reporting it to the link that was listed earlier. I guess triple redundant sensors is not good enough...or if it is, whatever is causing the fault REALLY needs to be figured out!!

On a side note...I'm pretty sure my build date was 2/11/04 but I would have to double check that to possitive. The rest is in my signiture.

Thanks again,
Mike

·
Registered
631 Posts
I just had my truck in the shop today for surging at idle and occasionally at highway speeds. At first I thought it was the EGR valve again, but the technician repalced the throttle plate assembly. He said it was sticking. I also had the recall performed (05E16).

Picked up the truck this afternoon. Within 15 minutes of leaving the dealership, surging starts again and check engine light is ON. Dropped it back off and picked up a rental.

·
Registered
4,751 Posts
A failing (or severely biased) ICP sensor can cause surging on these engines. I suppose that in some instances the truck can accelerate but your case sounds extreme. If the IPR (injection control pressure regulator) were to stick in the full position this could explain the situation. However, I am not sure about the computer strategy on this; if the PCM sees the accelerator pedal at 0% it may cut fuel in other ways. The best way for this to be diagnosed is to make a data recording of all PCM parameters when this commanded acceleration occurs.

And of course it begs for a response that running a performance enhancing device causes your engine to operate at levels beyond that which it is designed and certified. Even if this concern now happens with your devices removed or turned off, you may have caused the damage therefore I would tread very carefully before filing any complaint or getting some lemon law attorneys hair up.

·
Registered
462 Posts
It seems odd to me...

Then again, "dead pedal" also happened, so it doesn't seem too out of reach...

If it's not software or APPS related, it would take a lot of events coming together just right to make something like this happen.

1 - 20 of 78 Posts