The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone rebuilt one of the 6.7 engines yet? I'm installing the crankshaft and when I get to the thrust bearing, there are only 3 pieces. 2 uppers and 1 lower that goes on the rear of the rear main cap. The front side of the cap appears to be machined to put a bottom half on the front bearing. When the cap is installed, you can see both bottom ends of the upper half. My local Ford dealer says that everything he can find shows that to be correct and that the 5.4 gas is built the same. There is nothing that looks right about it. Does anyone know anything about this?

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
The 2015 Ford DVD indicates there should be lower thrust bearing(s) also.....or as I read it

Remove the 5 crankshaft main bearing caps from the cylinder block.
Remove and discard the lower crankshaft main bearing thrust washer.
Remove and discard the 5 lower crankshaft main bearings from the crankshaft main bearing caps.

Remove the crankshaft from the cylinder block.

NOTE: Only one upper bearing shown.

Remove and discard the 2 upper crankshaft main bearing thrust washers. Remove and discard the 5 upper crankshaft main bearings from the cylinder block.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes but there is only one piece on the back side of the main cap not on the front leaving, in my opinion, only half of a thrust bearing on the front.

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
After checking one of the online Ford Parts sites, these are the numbers I came up with

BC3Z-6A341-A THRUST WASHER F250, F350 SUPER DUTY; UPPER

BC3Z-6K302-A THRUST WASHER F250, F350 SUPER DUTY; LOWER

·
Registered
5,321 Posts
There are loads that push the crank forward but not usually any that push rearward. Torque converter can apply forward load and so can manual trans clutch (not applicable here). There are other engines around that use this same setup. The separate thrust washer arrangement allows the thrust or journal bearings to be selective sized to reduce manufacturing scrap waste since a crank can be polished under a fraction on journal or on radius where thrust resides.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes larrgh the manual shows it takes one of the BC3Z-6K302-A and two BC3Z-6A341-A. I just question weather it's good engineering to do it that way. It doesn't seem right to me but, neither do torque to yield bolts. I'm hoping you're right jimmy because that's how I'm assembling it. I don't have any faith in their tangless bearings either. The original engine had the glow plug/valve issue that wiped it out. I was/am going to put in a salvage yard engine. The short block I got had two cylinders with rust in them (got it cheap) so I had it cleaned and bored and I got a set of 2014 heads with a little over 4000 miles on them. I really didn't want to but I'm going to delete it then decide if I can trust it to drive anywhere. Running half of a thrust bearing is just one more mark against it as far as I'm concern

1 - 6 of 6 Posts