The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So many choices! So many reviews. Prices from 60 bucks to 400. Truck is hardly run at all but don't want to have to do it again in a short time. What do you suggest for brand? Cross between moola and longevity?

·
Premium Member
14,667 Posts
Rock auto has good prices. I just bought a set of Timkens and was disappointed to see made in China written on the box. Moog had a better warranty.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
4,001 Posts
Tough question since product build quality may not be what it was 5 years ago for any brand.

I have replaced two trucks (both driver side) with Timken but don’t have enough miles logged to attest to longevity.

I recall paying about $160 or so.

·
Premium Member
4,001 Posts
Do they all come with the two o-rings per hub?
The Timken did.

And be sure to know if you need fine or course thread.

·
Premium Member
599 Posts
I did some research before buying and changing mine.....went with FAG. They were a little pricey but had great reviews, and NAPA auto parts said they hardly ever get any of the FAG products returned. I wouldn’t trust a cheap hub off the internet IMHO.

·
Premium Member
599 Posts
I just looked up my receipt— NAPA says list price for the FAG hubs are $546.00. My price was $300.00 / $600.00 for the pair.
Part #27102003

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah I see some in eBay for 69 bucks---must be made of cardboard! I was in a column where people were dissing moog but loving timkin, then another with the opposite. Another where they liked Auto Zones mid range set---Jesus its hard to know what to do. This one went bad with about 50,000 on it. I had replaced it years ago but don't remember what brand. Don't gots the clams for 400 or more hundred per wheel so hoping that something in the under 200 range will work. The main thing I see complained about is the aftermarket units turning on the ABS lights. Also the FINE or COUTRSE thread---if I don't have two to compare how do I know which is which?

·
Premium Member
599 Posts
Also the FINE or COUTRSE thread---if I don't have two to compare how do I know which is which?
I pulled the following off the web/ has the stud thread-pitch for course and fine. The hub specs. should list the wheel stud size when you order.

“Super Duty Trucks built prior to 3-21-1999 use hubs with a different brake rotor mounting. The wheel stud threads on this hub are M14 x 2.0 coarse thread. 2003 and later production front wheel hubs have M14 x 1.5 fine thread studs.”

I removed my old studs in the back of the hubs and installed them in the new hubs for mounting to the knuckle. This is an acceptable practice according to FORD, or you can buy new ones. There are several you tube videos on the removal and install. I double nutted the studs and had to use heat around the stud hole in order to loosen them.

·
Premium Member
599 Posts
From a different site......but thought it was interesting

Attachments

·
Premium Member
14,667 Posts
“Super Duty Trucks built prior to 3-21-1999 use hubs with a different brake rotor mounting. The wheel stud threads on this hub are M14 x 2.0 coarse thread. 2003 and later production front wheel hubs have M14 x 1.5 fine thread studs.”
So before 99 is coarse and after 03 is fine. In the middle?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
204 Posts
I replaced the right front hub on mine with a Timken, and about 60000 later had to pull it and have it warrantied. Definitely not the same quality you used to get from Timken.

·
Premium Member
599 Posts
So before 99 is coarse and after 03 is fine. In the middle?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It was a long article and I took it out of its context, if I understood it correctly the superduty had a different caliper mount before ‘99 but were coarse until the change to fine happened after ‘03:confused:

but I mainly posted it because it gave the threads for coarse/fine— that way the op could identify the thread-pitch on his hubs before ordering

·
Premium Member
599 Posts
I went on a vendors site and it said when ordering:
1999-2002 are 14mm X 2.0
2003-2020 are 14mm X 1.5

post edit— I know RT already knew that;)just clarifying as it was vague.

·
Premium Member
14,667 Posts
Actually, I didn't know the cutoff. I actually thought it happened mid 99. I have an 03 and my neighbor has an 02. I’m pretty sure they are the same.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well I just ordered a timkin off amazon. It was 80 bucks cheaper than other sites. Problem is it didn't say course or fine. Paid 120 including shipping. Its a 4 wheel abs so I hope mine is, lol

·
Super Moderator
25,406 Posts
Well I just ordered a timkin off amazon. It was 80 bucks cheaper than other sites. Problem is it didn't say course or fine. Paid 120 including shipping. Its a 4 wheel abs so I hope mine is, lol
Your truck should be 4W ABS, but it wouldn't matter, since even my 1/99 build truck which is 2W ABS had the electrical connectors at the rear of the fender liners.
I'm a little late to the party, but I usually try to go with BCA bearing hubs. The last one I got was Made in Korea, but at least it's not China.

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Watched a youtube about installing it. The guy used a clear looking grease that almost looked like silicone on the o ring and splines. Couldn't see the brand. What should be used? Thanks everyone, by the way, I cant afford to take it to Ford (who can) so this helps me a lot.

·
Super Moderator
25,406 Posts
Silicon grease on the o-rings would be OK, but I just use wheel bearing grease on the splines and o-rings. Any brand of silicon grease would be fine. I believe I have a tube I got from NAPA.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts