The Diesel Stop banner

Tire size upgrade and possible programming?

5K views 18 replies 5 participants last post by  mubarakdaniel 
#1 ·
Hi all, I have my 2016 F350 Lariat. It came stock with 18" wheels. I recently upgraded to stock 20" wheels. LT 275/R20's.
My speedometer is 2-3 mph fast depending on which speedo app I use. When it's reading on the speedo, 60 mph, the app(s) read 62-63.
I'd like to get this back to normal or at least 1 mph difference.
Years ago I had the same pickup only 1995 and had 36" tires, there was a simple calc to use for programming and was all done on the ODO cluster after the math was done.
Can this be done on this 2016 as well? Or is this a dealer thing? Or????
Thanks in advance for any and all responses.

Esson

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

#3 ·
Obd2 reader writer and forscan app?
Sorry I'm not following. Is this something I would buy and then download an app?
Sorry to sound totally stupid here.
Thank you

#4 ·
Yes
Goto forscan.org
Lots of info there
Basically the reader, writer let's you change a bunch of setting on your truck
If not sure have a dealer reset your rim size
You can change a long list of things with forscan.
Fuel tank size, tpms pressure alarm setting, daytime running light.

RoadrunnerII

Sent from my SM-A515F using Tapatalk

#6 ·
Once upon a time we (the dealers) could change tire sizes and even enter custom tire sizes by tire RPM (rotations per Mile) that had to be calculated. No more. With the Ford IDS we can only select tire sizes from a list of sizes the vehicle could have been built with. If you upgraded tour wheels and tires to a size on the list it's an easy adjustment and I actually recommend doing so as there are a few speed dependent systems in the truck that don't respond well to inaccuracies: discrepancies between actual tire size and what is programmed into the vehicle. On a '16 Super Duty there are two modules (PCM and BCM) where this setting needs to be changed. And as mentioned, there are aftermarket tools that can adjust this as mentioned.

Reactions: Corey Esson
#7 ·
Thank you very much. This is very helpful and appreciated. I really dont want to buy the scanner as ill never use it again. I'm going to call the dealer and find out the cost if doing this. I just don't want to pay the hour shop rate of $134.00 for a few mins of work.
I wasn't really going to worry about this but it just bugs me. Then when you said that it should be fixed, now I do know I need to get it fixed.
Thank you!

#8 ·
Thank you very much. This is very helpful and appreciated. I really dont want to buy the scanner as ill never use it again. I'm going to call the dealer and find out the cost if doing this. I just don't want to pay the hour shop rate of $134.00 for a few mins of work.
I wasn't really going to worry about this but it just bugs me. Then when you said that it should be fixed, now I do know I need to get it fixed.
Thank you!

If you were a good customer at my dealer yo could ask if someone could quickly adjust it for you. It takes 10 minutes for god's sake. And that includes grabbing the scan tool and walking out to the truck.

#9 ·
Damn, I wish I wasn't on the west coast then lol!!

So, I just called my local dealer, service said "yes we can do this for you, 2 hrs labor at $149/hrs." HOLY HELL!
I told them it should take 10 mins....they didn't agree. They are idiots here. Going to look at other shops.

#10 ·
Look into Forscan Lite that runs on your phone or the download for a laptop along with a bluetooth adapter that plugs into the OBDII port.

For well under $100 you can take care of it yourself and be able to do other programming

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

#14 ·
Lots more questions: OBDLink® MX+ - Outstanding Bluetooth-Compatible OBD II Scan Tool

Is this for $99 plus the app what i need?
There is another thing for $34 and I assume its only a monitor like it says and you can't change anything?
Or if neither, would it be possible to send a link from the Forscan site?
I'm still browsing it though.

#11 ·
Burman, thank you. This is sort of what I'm looking at currently. I'm pretty inept at this kind of stuff but I'm sure some of my buddies with some beer and pizza may be able to figure it out. [emoji3]

#13 ·
Bugman (sorry I realized my stupid auto correct kicked in last time) I did peruse the Forscan site. Lots of reading on there for sure. I have a good long weekend with lots of snow so on the couch reading here may be good. [emoji16]
Thank you.

#15 ·
The adapter that I picked up was a little bit cheaper but that one that you linked to should work.

I need to pick up another one just to keep in my vehicles all the time for when I am on the road encase I need one.

For your phone you want the Forscan lite. I downloaded mine off of the Google Play store and I have a android phone. I believe that there is one for a Iphone also.

I also have a copy on a laptop that I got before they had the one for the phone. I think that I have all my bases covered perhaps.

Reactions: Corey Esson
#16 ·
Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!
Hope all bases are covered yes but I'm sure there will be a bit more questions eventually. [emoji1783]
By the way...can I swap these things and go from my Super Duty to the wife's 2014 Ford Edge? Or are these specific to the vehicle?
Thanks!

#17 ·
You can use them on any vehicle with the OBDII port, with some limitations.

I have used mine on my 96 7.3 and on my 2016 Explorer. That is why I am thinking of getting a second adapter so that I have one in each vehicle just encase I need it when I am on the road

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

#18 ·
Good to know then. I did see that its good for 96 and up then.

OBDLink MX+ $100.00
OBDLink LX. $60.00.

Can't find the difference in the two tho but still reading.....

I'm wondering if I can call a local tire shop and ask if they can do it as well....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.