The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for thought about tire, Truck has 85,000 miles running good the tires on it still measure 4-5 on the Discount Tire store scale 9not sure what that compares to ) but I measure tread thickness at just over 1 eighth oo an inch. size is 275/65 R20 OEM As I look on line at a couple stores I do Not find any information about side wall rating . Is this not an issue? I do pull a T/T 3-4 per year weighing approx. 6500lbs Current thinking is Michelin Defender LTX m/s.
Any thoughts ?

·
Registered
73 Posts
To be frank, I'd never buy tires from them again. Their measurement interface is just messed up. If you want reliable tire measurements, price, and quality, I'd go for 4WheelOnline. Knowing about their huge selection of tires, they may just have what you're looking for.

·
Registered
239 Posts
When you click on a particular tire, one of the specs is load range. Check your door panel; you probably need a 121 (load range E). This corresponds to a 10-ply rating. I don't know of any current tires with an actual 10 plies in the sidewall. Most will list 2 polyester plies which, because of the construction, will equal 10 thinner plies.
You don't say what brand you have now, but if you are happy with them I would stay with them. The LTX is a good choice but you may have to change section/ratio to get the tire you need. I don't run 20s so I can't give any tips on that size.

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
Not to worry. The Michelin Defender LTX M/S is available in your size. It's a good choice.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry to take so long to get back to this discussion. I did get the Michelin Defenders. Seem to fine they are a lot quiter on the road. Now this may be the wrong fourum if so sorry BUT I went had the truck weighed at a CAT scale with and with out the WDH. How do I interpret first reading w/O hitch Steer axle 4720 lb, Drive 4400lb, Trailer 4540lb Gross 13660lb
second reading with WDH steer axle 4800lb drive axle 4300lb , trailer 4600lb Gross 13700lb Why would the two gross be 40lb diff.? Any other information you can explain is appreciated.
Thank you guys for your help.

·
Registered
239 Posts
The 40 lb difference could quite probably be the weight of the WDH itself and generally shows up as an increase of trailer weight. The increased weight on the steer axle, and corresponding reduction on the drive, is caused by the way a WDH works. It is designed to move weight from the rear of the vehicle onto the steer axle ("distributing"). That is to keep the truck and trailer from sagging at the hitch point.

You can probably Google a Youtube video of this.

·
Premium Member
4,329 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks to Arctic Driver the video really explain it

1 - 8 of 8 Posts