The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi people.

I have a beef with some of the posters on this site: some posters would have you beleive that for every ailment of the modern truck, there is a special oil/ lubricant or fuel additive that will totally cure the ailment, make your truck run 100x better than it ever did before and allow the engine to live to it full 300,000 mile potential.

I strongly suspect that several of the individuals posting this advice are not doing so for the goodness of their fellow reader, but rather because they are a dealer for the products and wish to sell them to readers and make money doing so.

It is kind of annoying: someone posts that their differential oil is dark in color and 4 people post back stating that Amsol oil is the best ever made ...

Kim

·
Registered
3,010 Posts
I see where you are coming from. I honestly believe however that most of the posters mean well and are just passing on their belief or personal experience. I personally love synthetics, but I'm not going to bash Rotella, etc. If the original poster of the question gets good info from the others then that is all that really matters. I can see how someone would suggest a synthetic if the diff lube is darkening (maybe the old lube was junk and couldn't take the heat) but there may also be mechanical problems behind it also...gears set up without enough backlash, etc. Unless the person that suggests the "snake oil" actually says..."and I'd be willing to sell you 20 gallons at my price..." then I don't see a problem with them stating it as a "try this it worked for me"

Jerry

------------------
1988 F-250 SuperCab w/ATS turbo,
Hypermax Intercooler,and
straight 3" exhaust

·
Registered
6,834 Posts
Lux I believe that since we have gone to paid banners posters are no longer allowed to put free ads in their signatures anymore as in your url.
I am not positive on this though. Jason or an admin. can correct me on this if I am wrong.
If so we will have less of this and that is a good thing. I did learn a great deal on lubricants on some flaming posts though.

s and the best,

Ed

------------------
Early 99-F250SC-PSD-LAR- other goodies.
NRA&TX.ST.RIFLE ASSC.-LIFER-NRA/ILA AND MEMBER-GUN OWNERS OF AMERICA MEMBER-I DO VOTE!

[This message has been edited by H ED S (edited 05-23-2000).]

·
Registered
622 Posts
I think that most of the people posting are making claims to their findings...not to sell more of their product! If someone believes enough in a product to sell it, they will also try to let everyone know of a potential problem that could possibly be prevented by the use of their product. If you have a problem with the post...don't read it!!!!

------------------
2000 F250 Lariat CC Shorty 4x4*Stinger Plus*Triple Gauge A Pillar*Amsoil By-Pass Filter*Fumoto Drain Valve*Billet Grill Insert*Snug-Lid*Bed Rug*4" Pro-Comp*35" BFG MT's*Weld Wheels

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
Lux,
I really hope you weren't referring to me. I noticed in your link that I wasn't in that one. You did make referrence to rear end lube being dark. I posted this thread because I for one told people not to change rear end because Ford factory filled them with synthetics and did not require a change interval. I did mine out of curiousity and did not like what I saw. It then prompted me to get an analysis done because of several similar instances with other people. I had several people e-mail me after they changed theirs and din't like the way it looked either, and not all of them used Amsoil! If I were not an Amsoil dealer, this would not be an issue, correct? As I said in my post on rear end fluid, this was not a brand war or a sales pitch, just a reccomondation. Heed it if you will, if not, ignore it. I for one know I made a good reccomondation.
If this issue is not about me, then I'll ignore it also. Just assumed since you brought up the banner.
Stay cool.

Bob

------------------
99.5SD PSD, CC, Black, 4X4Off Road, Lariat, Superchip Hot, Amsoil from front to back. My 99.5 Superduty Turbo Brake, A-Pillar with Trans Temp, Boost, and EGT Guages. www.riley-enterprises.com

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Bob:

I wasn't intentionally singling you out, but your recommendation for everyone to change their diff oil did not sit well with me.

re:"If I were not an Amsoil dealer, this would not be an issue, correct?"

Yes and no: I think you have a conflict of interest recommending that people change their oil, so that bothers me. However, your oil knowledge is welcomed. However, I don't think that the oil is the issue at heart here, so it wouldn't matter who posted it, I would have disagreed.

I think that your comments may have sparked FUD (Fear Uncertainty and Doubt) about the fluids used in these trucks, which I fear will start a mass campaign for everyone to change their fluids.

Hmmm: 6,000 trucks x 30 litres (ave) per truck = 180,000 litres of oil, which might not otherwise needed changing. See this:
http://forums.ford-diesel.com:8080/ubb/Forum15/HTML/001665.html

This whole "we need to change all the oils" comment is kind of the tip of the iceberg for me. For being Superduty trucks, these things sure require a lot of special care: special oils, certain brands of fuel, fuel conditioner, cavitation coolant additive, etc, to deal with the brake, transmission, engine and differential problems. Everytime I read something, someone has a magical potion or procedure that is needed to reliably keep these trucks going.

They shouldn't need such care: if they do need special treatment to remain reliable, we should be contacting Ford and having them check into it. Have you shared your oil analysis with Ford ?

Kim

Here is another good example: http://forums.ford-diesel.com:8080/ubb/Forum15/HTML/001666.html

This guy has a cackle problem. What does Ford do: change the oil ! He is also running a fuel conditioner ! I can't wait for the day that we have to sacrifice a chicken to get these things to start !

[This message has been edited by lux (edited 05-24-2000).]

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
Lux,
I for one think these trucks take very little maintenence compared to a gasser with plugs, wires, tune-ups,etc.

Your question of wether I shared this with Ford? Look at the post you referred to- they don't have a clue in most cases more than we do. They changed his oil for a cackle. How does that compare to my post?

People like this member you referred to are trying things on his own (majic potions as you call it), because the dealers can't help him. You make it out like Ford is the almighty knowledge and we should just put our trust in them that we have a perfect truck and will never have problems. Look at this whole site and that will tell you otherwise.

If I made reccomondations to everybody too many times that were unsubstanciated, how long would I be around on this site before I got blackballed by everyone on this site? I planon being around awhile and will not jepardise it over a few quarts of oil. I have made a lot of freinds here and enjoy it. Please don't take my posts wrong, besides I shouldn't have to worry that someone is thinking I'm trying to snow them.
Bob

------------------
99.5SD PSD, CC, Black, 4X4Off Road, Lariat, Superchip Hot, Amsoil from front to back. My 99.5 Superduty Turbo Brake, A-Pillar with Trans Temp, Boost, and EGT Guages. www.riley-enterprises.com

·
Registered
6,706 Posts
The Ford Recommended change interval for the Limited Slip Diff is 15,000 miles.

------------------
2000 F-250SD XLT PSD 4X4 ESOF Auto, SC, LB, Bright Clear Coat Red, Graphit Int. Wayne Bradish, Ashburn, Va. Home To Redskins Park!

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Wayne B:

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Most of our manuals say no change is nessessary if 75w-140 synthetic was used.
Bob

------------------

·
Registered
251 Posts
I've gotta agree with lux. I can always take the enthusiast's statements with a grain of salt but differentiating that from salemanship is getting harder and harder. The specific ones that wound my clock were that "oil drain valve" gadget, a magazines self-promotion and now rear axle oil. I've been driving and maintaining these things for a long time and to place blame on the oem rear axle lubricant is perhaps missing the true root cause of the problem. I honestly believe that there are only two indivuduals who care about my truck, me and in this case Ford.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Kim wrote:

<<I think that your comments may have sparked FUD (Fear Uncertainty and Doubt) about the fluids used in these trucks, which I fear will start a mass campaign for everyone to change their fluids. >>

Regardless of the quality of factory filled fluids, it is an excellent idea to drain and refill the transmission, transfer case, and differential after they break in. Many do a break in engine oil change, why not the other expensive drivetrain components (and they don't have oil filters)?

·
Registered
206 Posts
I have read a lot of posts put out by Bob and others. I have never been offended by what they have had to offer for advice. I could understand the concern if Bob or others were the only outlet available for their products. It isn't like everyone who wants rear end oil is going to buy it from Bob. In fact, living in Michigan I don't think I would go to all the trouble of contacting him in Florida then paying shipping to have the products sent up here. I would go to my local dealer and buy it here. Bob is just giving advice in what he believes in, as anyone else on this site does. Just because he happens to sell a product doesn't make his posts sales pitches. Read the posts for what they are worth instead of between lines that aren't there.

------------------
F350 crew cab, Centurian conversion..PSD, Oxford White custom paint, line-x bedliner,Downey SST tonnaeu cover, K&N air filter, Ziebart undercoat, full bed, DRW,4.10LS, Reese class V hitch, born 3/24/99

·
Premium Member
18,870 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Wayne B:
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Perhaps for your 2000 model. But in my '99.5 Owner's Guide it says my rear axle is filled with Motorcraft SAE 75W140 High Performance Synthetic Rear Axle Lube. And it says "Ford design rear axles [in all F-250 and F-350 SRWs) contain a synthetic lubricant that does not require changing unless the axle has been submerged in water. Dana rear axles [in Dooleys] also contain a synthetic lubricant but do require a change."

Way back at the back of my Scheduled Maintenance Guide, there is a paragraph on normal vehicle axle maintenance. It says:

"Rear axles containing synthetic lubricant and light duty trucks equipped with Ford-design axles are lubricated for life. These lubricants are not to be checked or changed unless a leak is suspected, service is required or the axle has been submerged in water."

So I conclude that anyone advising me to change the rear axle lube in my F-250 PSD - which never gets close to a boat dock - is a snake-oil salesman.

------------------
Ford-Diesel.com is a member-supported website, for more info: Click here. ........ Ole retired guy in west Texas with Darling Wife and Sierra Blanca - the white mountain of a '99.5 F250 diesel-powered CrewCab.

·
Registered
8,200 Posts
I don't think we should be talking about individual members. Seems impolite somehow.

Smokey, what does that mean about my Dana 80 rear axle - it is not "Ford design", or am I reading too much into it?

------------------
Kevin

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
Smokey,
That was really not very cool.

Please read these posts;
This is what started the whole thread.

forums.ford-diesel.com:8080/ubb/Forum15/HTML/000702.html

forums.ford-diesel.com:8080/ubb/Forum19/HTML/000091.html

forums.ford-diesel.com:8080/ubb/Forum13/HTML/000044.html

Bob

------------------

[This message has been edited by JLester (edited 05-25-2000).]

[This message has been edited by SmokeyWren (edited 05-25-2000).]

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
Does anyone know how to make these links work? The first one will show the post that got me to check mine.
Bob

------------------

·
Premium Member
18,870 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by kreynol2:
Smokey, what does that mean about my Dana 80 rear axle - it is not "Ford design", or am I reading too much into it?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't know. My various booklets that came with my '99.5 is confusing when it comes to the Dana 80 rear axle. Owner's Guide says the Dana 80 holds 8.3 pints of 70w90 synthetic, with a note that says it needs to be changed - see the Scheduled maintenance Guide.

But my Scheduled Maintenance Guide doesn't even mention changing the rear axle lube in anything - until you get to the back of the book under "exceptions". When you get back there, it says that "rear axles containing synthetic lubricant ... are lubricated for life". No mention of any exception to this rule for the Dana 80 - which has syn lube but the 70w90 instead of the good stuff which is the 70w140.

Maybe your 2000 Scheduled Maintenance Guide is different?

·
Registered
415 Posts
One thing that bothers me on this sight is the division of how people use their trucks and how that affects their beliefs. Half if not more of the people here only use their trucks for basic transportation or towing their camper around once in a while. They cannot compare or even imagine the difference in the matainance needs of people that actually work their trucks.

I have never found Bob to be a pushy salesman or trying to sell me something. I value his opinion as much as the next guy. Just because Bob changed the oil in his truck and believes that it made an improvement doesn't mean that he is trying to sell or advise anyone that drives one of these trucks ,because they want one not because they need one, to change their oil. He is merely relating his experiences just like everyone else here does.

Sometimes it sure feels like there are quite a few self righteous folks here. Just because your views or beliefs are different from another's doesn't mean that they are wrong.

------------------
1997 F-250 Heavy Duty SC 4x4, psd, auto., 4.10 gears, 285-75 16's, propane injection, shimmed, resistered, cat dead, exhaust brake, K&N, 4" exhaust, 3" downpipe, intercooler ordered

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
How often does a rattlesnake need it's oil changed anyway?

------------------
Keith
1994 F-250, PowerStroke Diesel, 5 Speed, SC, LB, 4x4, with a 4.10 Geared Limited Traction Differential, Warn Premium Manual Hubs and a Happy Driver.
NRA Life Member. Click Here For Keith's Diesel Page

NorthEast Rally Page

1 - 20 of 61 Posts