The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tires

Hope this is the right place to ask this. I have a 95 Stroke and it came to me used with Firestones on it. Good tread. Recently got a hole in one on our great highways here in the NW. Looking to replace all four, and having a hell of a time finding what I want. They are LT235/85R16. I pull a thirty foot fifth wheel with the pick up. I feel I should have 8 ply, but the tire techs look at me like I'm speaking a foriegn language. Thanks, guys, for the help. I have been looking on line. Very little in fo on the ply of the tires.

·
Registered
10,977 Posts
Re: Tires

I think 8-ply are Load Range D. You probably want the 10-ply Load Range E tires towing the 30ft fiver (at least that's what I run on mine). Most of the major tire manufacturers have that size and rating. I've run Michelins, Generals, Firestones, Goodyears, Dunlops, and currently BFG All-Terrain KO's. Cheers!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Seems like ten ply are going to give a rough ride on the highway, but I do want the safety. I've been reviewing some I've been looking at and I'm glad for Google. Sam's Club has a bundle of four , i believe BFG for 5 hundred and change. Bad review. Going to go with Michelin, most likely.
Thank you for the reply.

·
Registered
6 Posts

Depends on what tire shop you go to, some go by ply, some go by letter rating. "E" rated, or "10 ply" would be good on a single wheel truck if you plan on pulling alot. I've used "D" rated tires also on a single wheel 1 ton, they get a little squishy w/ a big load on the back.

·
Registered
256 Posts

I have run nothing but Michelin 235-85-16 E rated on my truck. I generally get 60-70k miles on a set. The Michelin tire has a nice ride, remember it is a truck not a Caddy.

·
Registered
132 Posts

·
Registered
1,842 Posts

STAY WITH THE LOAD RANGE E 10 PLY.

THE TRUCK WAS DESIGNED AND ENGINEERED AND TESTED FOR USE ONLY WITH 10 PLY LOAD RANGE E TIRES.

Ok off the soapbox.

I've heard great things about the michelins, if you don't mind the price, they sure get great reviews.

I've run firestone, general, and the BFG (now owned by Michelin) equivalent from walmart "Liberator" brand.
They have been great for the price, but a bit noisy.

·
Registered
330 Posts

I am running Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armour 265/75/16, 10 ply and I believe that they are the best tire that I have run so far. I just got back from a 3500 mile trip to Silverton, Colorado and I could not sk for a better tire. They also come with a 50,000 mile warranty.

·
Registered
1,842 Posts

Okie1
are those tires "silent armour" made specifically for a quiet ride?

I know some companies are making quiet tires.

is the tread aggressive or are they more of a highway tire?

·
Registered
52 Posts

if you have a discount tire in your area i just bought the uniroyal laredo 10 ply 235/85/16 (made by michelin) for $98 each installed. 60,000 mile tire and they are quiet.they are a nice ride.good luk

·
Registered
742 Posts

Okie1,

How do those Silent Armours compare to BFG A/T tires? I'm needing new tires this fall before we get snow. I have AT's now but am seriously looking at the Goodyears. Thanks for your thoughts.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts

[ QUOTE ]
Okie1,

How do those Silent Armours compare to BFG A/T tires? I'm needing new tires this fall before we get snow. I have AT's now but am seriously looking at the Goodyears. Thanks for your thoughts.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not Okie1 (obviously), but I have a bit of experience in the tire industry.
Silent Armour is the redesigned Wrangler ATS. The ATS was a rather soft tire which, imo, was overpriced. The boss had them on his truck and used that as a selling point to get other people to buy them. Idiot never took his truck off road more than in his lawn to wash it.
The Silent Armour has wider center lugs than the ATS did, and the dual channels appear to be narrower.
I still think that the Silent Armour is overrated, but some people love them. My preference is the Wrangler Workhorse Extra-Grip.

Road noise (on new tires) usually comes from the sidewalls. The larger the gaps in the sides of the lugs at the sidewall, the noisier it will usually be. If you're plowing, not much can beat a set of Wrangler MTRs.

·
Registered
742 Posts

Thanks for the reply, Dan.

I'm not plowing, but I live in the Snowbelt east of Cleveland. With my truck being only 4x2, i can get stuck in snow or mud very easily. I'm not hardcore offroading. Just lots and lots of dirt road & towing my boat. Not quite sure what way to go yet. I'm not worried about road noise. My truck has a modified exhaust including a "felinectomy", so I hear plenty of other noise before I hear the road.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts

Everyone has their own opinion, but I love my 10 ply 285/75R16 BFG All Terrains. I can't think of a better all around tire.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts