The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well time has come to fix my head gaskets on my 6.0. But I'm on the fence on whether to fix it or look for a 2014 truck. Who has gone from the 6.0 and loves the newer ones or any pother thoughts would be appreciated

·
Registered
100 Posts
I have both, an early build '03 F250 King Ranch 6.0 and a '14 6.7 F350 Lariat (company truck we own). The 6.0 has had and continues to have problems since the day I drove it home from the dealership in 2004, even after extensive bulletproofing last spring... The '14 6.7 has just rolled 20k miles, and all I have done to it is oil/filter changes. It runs/starts like a clock and gets 19.2 combined MPG's... There's no comparison between the 2 trucks in reliability, dependability, MPG's, drivability, etc. After extensive bulletproofing the 6.0 (ARP's, gaskets, fuel inj harness, remote oil cooler, coolant filter, billet water pump, 8 Gen 4 injectors, HPOP seals), it still had issues... I blew another Turbo since (3rd one now), replaced the MAP sensor, blew the Intercooler, replaced a blown up-pipe which cracked at the bellows, replaced the PS pump, replaced the Tranny temp sensor, replaced the PCM, replaced a failed ABS module, and I now may have to replace the FICM (will be third) or R&R the new Turbo again because the engine blows Black Smoke on all take-offs and when throttling up while cruising... It never ends with the 6.0's... Never...:sick:

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow that's a **** load if issues. Mine only FICM, years ago and now the head studs.

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
Just pointing out....20K miles on a diesel doesn't exactly validate "There's no comparison between the 2 trucks in reliability, dependability". When it hits 200K, then you have a point.

Not many people had issues with 6.0L in 20K miles either at least after the early '03's....

I'm not saying I think your wrong, I'm just saying there is no valid data in your post to back up that statement. Having said that, I expect the 6.7L will end up being more reliable than the 6.0L. I have a ton of 6.0L experience (400K on my current one, 100K or so on my last one) but no 6.7L experience to back it up, just what I read here.

I think this has been summed up before but asking yourself these questions might help you reach an answer that's right for you:

Would you prefer to:

1) Drive the 6.0L that will more likely fail from time to time and cost you $500 to $3000 each time to fix plus the aggravation of down time but likely no truck payment on it.

OR

2) Drive a 6.7L that has a much higher chance of being relatively trouble free but, if your one of the "lucky ones", get hit with a major repair in the $XX,XXX range or get one with one of those "there is no fix, live with it" issues?

OR

3) Do you need a diesel or want a diesel bad enough to live with any of the above or could you go to a gas truck and eliminate all of the above nonsense?

Just my 2 cents but that's how I see it..........

I tow heavy and commercially long haul with mine so I'm in (for now anyways). I have ZERO tolerance for even a remote chance of having a truck payment and a major repair bill simultaneously so I will continue with my 6.0L. I've had 4 new SD's,the '07 being the last and the one I'm still driving. I had the full extended warranty on it and Ford spend $thousands on it during the time I had a truck payment. I am perfectly fine with the repair bills now given I haven't had a payment in years on it.

Would I like another new one, sure... but I just can't get my head around this whole DPF/Regen/DEF fluid thing.

I bought my '07 when the '08's had just came out, I found an '08 almost identical in price and build...but I still took the '07. I just think this whole emission solution with DPF's etc is a temporary fix so they could keep selling trucks when the gov. drew a line in the sand and I believe (or hope anyways) that one day they will figure out a logical way to clean diesels.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys appreciate the feedback. I tow a toy hauler and would never go back to a gaser for towing. Mainly used for daily commute. I like the better safety features in the cab on newer ones, IE, shoulder belts for all occupants, more airbags. More power would be nice as I'm pulling 12,000# when fully loaded

·
Registered
805 Posts
Once you drive the '14 (or any of the '11+ diesels), you won't ever look back. I say go for the new (or newer) one. You won't regret it. (I hope...I haven't regretted mine yet.)

·
Premium Member
7,934 Posts
Let's see, pick up nice 6.0 at or under $10k add high side $6k-$10k, research 6.7 head spinners.. This is fact..sorry
Run a serious business... Be hard pressed to get accountant to let you do that...until the fleet goes down and get no warranty support on factory known issues.. Then he gets the door right before it gets paddalocked and seal taped.
Not saying this will be the case but happens and the questions and factors were open to discussion by thread title and context of questions.
Keeping it real and still living on the trail of making and pushing for perfection in our favorite brand
Nick
Hope you are happy with which other fits your needs.

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
If you want ford specifically, here's my order.
1. 6.7
2. 7.3
3. 6.0
4. 6.4 (I would stay away from)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
805 Posts
Let's see, pick up nice 6.0 at or under $10k add high side $6k-$10k, research 6.7 head spinners.. This is fact..sorry
Run a serious business... Be hard pressed to get accountant to let you do that...until the fleet goes down and get no warranty support on factory known issues.. Then he gets the door right before it gets paddalocked and seal taped.
Not saying this will be the case but happens and the questions and factors were open to discussion by thread title and context of questions.
Keeping it real and still living on the trail of making and pushing for perfection in our favorite brand
Nick
Hope you are happy with which other fits your needs.
:huh::huh: Uh...still trying to figure this one out!

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Premium Member
7,934 Posts
Risk reward
Some have companies and accountantants that among other things need to write off depreciation and cannot with an already depreciated to nothing truck and now you are going to ask him for $4k - $8k to throw into this truck? Not goin to happen.
So with a truck that gets a swig of water and accounts payable is getting hit with a repair bill with two digits to the left of a comma..
Two realities on the two fore mentioned trucks.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
OK next question is , should I assume my head gaskets are gone when I get coolant blowing out the fill cap?

·
Premium Member
7,934 Posts
Normally, most any other diesel it would be worthwhile considering further diagnosis time....6.0... Pull it, go thru it, find specific faults to about three diff gens. Not much in the way if getting around that.....buried hydro system....If even considering tangling with one, visit YouTube and watch Dieseltechron's video series. He is a recently past 6.0 legend....Consider visiting associated link to help. He helps people everyday today.
Yes, strip, wait for 6.0 Guru input from members and getting all you can from Ron's videos. Get something from him, try to help if can..
Best luck with path chosen

·
Registered
353 Posts
Chipster,
How many miles does your 6.0 jw? under no circumstances is coolant blowing the cap off a good thing. Are you seeing oil, cloudiness or some other discoloration in the coolant? also what does your oil look like? Is it blowing white/grey smoke under load? You also make mention fo the headstuds which leads me to believe you already know that you have a head issue.

At a minimum you are looking at head studs (might as well go ahead and get ARPs), new head gaskets and possibly having to resurface the heads. And the next fix you can look forward to is probably an hpop if it hasnt already been done. Other than that it sounds like you have a solid truck.

comparing a 6.7, dont drive it or you will buy it, it is that much better. Highly suggest one that is still under warranty. There are two well documented issues with the 6.7:
1. The radiator will eventually develop a leak/crack and ford may or may not cover it, on our truck a treatment of stop leak and a dab of JB weld fixed it right up 40k miles trouble free.
2. the fuel system is hyper sensative to water contamination (the water seperator cannot remove emulsified water/no WIF warning) this is mind bendingly expensive to repair ($9k-$12K) and Ford will not warranty it, as it is due to a bad load of fuel, to combat this you will only combat this you would only get fuel at a reputable high volume fuel source like a truck stop and for extra protection you could treat fuel with a de-mulsifiing addative.

To compare these two trucks is to compare these two truck is like comaring a pontoon boat to a center console Contender. They will both at the end of the day get the job but for significant cost difference you will get signicantly better performance and ammenaties.

And to translate for Dieselnick - Ford should have gone out of the diesel business after they discontinued the 6.0, he would almost pay you to stay out of anything newer than the 6.0 -no offense Nick !

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Screenshot_2016-08-25-19-56-31_resized.jpg Relentless

Got on the go pedal today and watched White smoke come out the pipe and it seems I can here it in the cab as my ac or blower seems to make more noise or like air rushing through. Funny thing on the 6.7, I drove a used one today (local Ford dealer) 2014, 94,000 KM on it, figured I'd be smiling for ear to ear, not the case. Check engine light was on and thing was gutless. Plugged my OBD scanner and read codes using Torque APP. P0402 Fault. Reaffirms why to buy new. Also wasn't impressed with room in storage compartments in center and glovebox

·
Premium Member
478 Posts
If you want ford specifically, here's my order.
1. 6.7
2. 7.3
3. 6.0
4. 6.4 (I would stay away from)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
X2. Except I'd put the 6.4 above the 6.0. Craig.

·
Premium Member
478 Posts
Well time has come to fix my head gaskets on my 6.0. But I'm on the fence on whether to fix it or look for a 2014 truck. Who has gone from the 6.0 and loves the newer ones or any pother thoughts would be appreciated
I was stupid enough to buy TWO (2) of these gems. I, last week, was driving the Excursion and it just STOPPED! Had it towed to the dealership; new HPOP and turbo. (the 2nd!) $4,800.00. GET RID OF THAT 6.0! Craig.

·
Premium Member
478 Posts
OK next question is , should I assume my head gaskets are gone when I get coolant blowing out the fill cap?
Mine was. I had the heads removed and cracks were discovered. I had to replace the heads. Among other things. Craig.

·
Premium Member
478 Posts

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well the air noise I mentioned, big hole in Turbo hose . Small one right at turbo. So with that fixed and i did a pressure check on coolant bottle (no pressure build up when I start the truck). Truck seems to run like a champ now with Turbo hose fixed and I can't get it to blow coolant. Mind you have not hooked up to trailer yet. So now I'm really confused to what's going on.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts