The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1995 f-250 2wd 5spd
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It seems to be a common theme that when someone washes around the engine there are always problems following. I have a leak somewhere but i cant spot it unless i can wash the top and bottom of the engine really well. How would i go about doing this?

·
Registered
499 Posts
DO NOT use a pressure washer. I suggest simple green. I have not found a better cleaner that rinses away and doesn't leave behind any residue. When you rinse just use the end of the hose and turn the water way. .down so it just comes out of the hose. Remember you are only rinsing and not washing. Stay away from any electrical connections as much as possible If you don't get it clean enough then just simple green it again. You will have to use a brush to loosen some of the oil. I cleaned a set of oily valve covers and was amazed at how well SG worked. After you rinse the motor use a blower to blow excess water from places where water doesn't just run off the motor. Try not to blow water on to electrical connections. You can use plastic bags or just some plastic to cover computers. If connections get wet just use a rag to dry them that way you don't force water into the connection.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I read before that washing these motors is like washing a tv and expecting it to work. Leave her alone and keep driving!

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
First thing I did when I got mine was wash the 20 years of dirt & rat nests out of the engine bay. I hosed EVERYTHING down (with the engine idling so I'd know if I hit something I shouldn't), but I took it easy on the ICM. Then I used the same mix of Dawn & PurplePower as I do on all my other vehicles, let it work for a while, then hosed that out thoroughly. And I repeated that a few times. Months later, while I had the filter assembly out, I washed out the last of the rat nest from under the HPOP. It runs great.

(click this text)

(click this text)

(click this text)

(click this text)

Reactions: ArcticDriver

·
Premium Member
2,224 Posts
I keep a protective coating of dirt and grime on the outside and keep her clean on the inside. When I shut the hood it just doesnt make a difference. How it runs is sanity, how it looks is vanity.

·
Premium Member
4,321 Posts
I bought a truck and the PO had a failed HPOP replaced. It had sprayed oil over the entire engine bay and I washed it numerous times w/out issue. It would have destroyed the wiring insulation if not addressed.

I have also washed the Valley to diagnose leaks.

Just be sensible & cautious.

Partly motivated by vanity (which is a mild case of Vanity) but also by the fact I was tired of getting oil soaked every time I worked under the hood.

I typically keep my equipment pretty clean and it helps me identify leaks but a good layer of dust that suddenly turns dark is just as good for locating leaks. A thin layer of dust but not a heavy layer.

You can also use an oil absorbent diaper and brakeleen to clean the Valley and not use any water.

·
Premium Member
9,464 Posts
For washing keep the high pressure water away from any and all sensors along with any and all electrical connections.

Then have at it.

·
Registered
4,942 Posts
I usually wash the engines in my trucks at least once a year. I have used everything from a car wash wand with hot water to a simple garden hose. Cleaning the valley with a car wash wand can be done by inserting the nozzle to the bottom of the valley before pulling the trigger. Keep all spray directed to the bottom of the valley. Degreaser and a hot water garden hose works great. As bugman notes keep high pressure spray away form electrical connections. Water itself should do no harm to any components, open your hood after driving in a hard rainstorm and see how wet everything is. I prefer to keep the engines clean so oil, fuel, and coolant leaks are easy to spot.
DENNY

·
Registered
499 Posts
I keep a protective coating of dirt and grime on the outside and keep her clean on the inside. When I shut the hood it just doesnt make a difference. How it runs is sanity, how it looks is vanity.
I must be insane. It makes a huge differance in how your truck runs. Dirt and grime means your truck leaks oil and the gaskets are bad. never lifting the hood only to find a yellow handle exposed is so funny.
How about this. Both batteries are leaking so they will both be replaced on next Thursday along with hold downs
20210409_093550.jpg
20210409_093604.jpg
20210129_172709.jpg
20210409_093643.jpg
20210409_093637.jpg
20210409_093617.jpg
20210409_093855.jpg

·
Premium Member
4,321 Posts
Can I have the batteries?
😉

·
Premium Member
9,464 Posts
Brand new batteries are going to leak also, that is why the caps are vented.

Also just because there is a oil film and dirt on the engine doesn't mean that it is leaking. Any fumes out of the engine are going to have oil in them and with nowhere to go along with dirt or dust being in the engine compartment you will get dirty oil and dirt on the engine.

I have no problems with those who want the keep their engine clean enough to eat off of but you also need to realize just where the dirt and oil comes from that settles on the engine parts.

·
Premium Member
2,224 Posts
I must be insane. It makes a huge differance in how your truck runs. Dirt and grime means your truck leaks oil and the gaskets are bad. never lifting the hood only to find a yellow handle exposed is so funny.
How about this. Both batteries are leaking so they will both be replaced on next Thursday along with hold downs View attachment 159328 View attachment 159329 View attachment 159330 View attachment 159331 View attachment 159332 View attachment 159333 View attachment 159334

Looks clean, I have never once washed my engine in almost 20 years and 250K miles. We never washed Service Truck engines and some had almost 400K. Never seen a single one fail from the lack of washing. Its common for these after washing stories to pop up. Not washing does not mean one has an oil leak, an oil leak means you have an oil leak. If it fits ones sense of order to spend time and money on the engines cosmetics thats therapy not necessisity. I spend my pedantic interests on the mechanical operational issues and my time on good record keeping in order to document a unit lifetime maintenance and repair history just for myself since I am unlikely to ever sell this truck. I currently have zero leaks, had a few fixed them, so now my smart engine is self cleaning.😎😎😎.

·
Registered
499 Posts

Also just because there is a oil film and dirt on the engine doesn't mean that it is leaking. Any fumes out of the engine are going to have oil in them and with nowhere to go along with dirt or dust being in the engine compartment you will get dirty oil and dirt on the engine.

I have no problems with those who want the keep their engine clean enough to eat off of but you also need to realize just where the dirt and oil comes from that settles on the engine parts.
There is no oil on my motor. i clean the motor ever other oil change. I like to keep my vehicles as clean as possible. I check the belts and hoses while I am under there. I looked at my air filter and most guys would just keep running mine but it looks like it has oil from where I have no idea but that too is gone. My truck will last me forever I hope.
As for batteries they don't leak caps have vents in them for sure but first sign of corrosion they are junk. They are leaking enough to corrode the hold downs. I have 5 fords and this is the only batteries that are eating the hold downs. They still work but they are 6 years old and time for them to go. I did this today also.
20210409_151646.jpg
20210409_151639.jpg
20210409_144259.jpg

·
Premium Member
9,464 Posts
The idea is to clean the corrosion off of the batteries. A little baking soda and water cleans it right up.

I have been doing it on the set that I have in my truck now for 8+ years and they still perform like new.

Reactions: DENNY

·
Premium Member
810 Posts
Stroking it, the engine compartment looks very nice!

All I know is working on a “clean engine” is a real pleasure rather than being up to the elbows in grease, oil, and dirt. Repair jobs always seem to go better when I clean first 🙂

Reactions: DENNY

·
Registered
499 Posts
Stroking it, the engine compartment looks very nice!

All I know is working on a “clean engine” is a real pleasure rather than being up to the elbows in grease, oil, and dirt. Repair jobs always seem to go better when I clean first 🙂
When I take mine into the dealer I want them to think I take care of my truck. Maybe they will respect my truck when they work on it.
I also buy the doughnuts. Bribery always helps.

·
Registered
97 F-250 HD
98 Posts
Called the local auto place and a by-hand engine detailing is 50-100 bucks depending on how shiny you want it. And they don't hose it down. Probably worth it!

·
Registered
97 F-250 HD
98 Posts
Yeah they totally do destroy everything under your hood over time. Battery gasses are super nasty. They SHOULD (all car batteries always in all vehicles) be in a box that vents outside the engine compartment, but doing that is too much extra cost.

·
Registered
499 Posts
This is one of the reasons I try to keep my motor clean. it gives me a opportunity to look everything over. it has been a couple months since I was under the hood. Batteries shouldn't gas off as much as mine are. I wonder if my alternator is overcharging to much. I will have that checked as well.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts