The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I admit it. I screwed up!

I bought a folding tonneau cover from Paragon. The instructions, in a word, sucked. Paragon makes a big deal about how 'their' cover is almost always 'owner installed'. I understand why now, no dealer would want the responsibility. It took almost a full day to install and has never worked properly. It's flimsy, it bends & it shifts, parts fall off, mounting brackets bend way too ealily. I constantly have to tighten & adjust the damn thing just so I can still open & close it.

Today was the final straw. One of the mounting nuts fell out. I spent almost an hour dis-assembling it to the point that I could replace & tighten the nut. The weather-striping didn't last more than 5 months, it's blowin' in the breeze.

WHAT I'M LOOKING FOR:
Does anybody make a fiberglass tonneau cover for trucks with fifth-wheel hitches? One that folds up to the point that it doesn't interfere with the hitch? Doesn't seem that it would be too difficult....

Any recommendations?

Thanks,
Russ

· Registered
46 Posts
i was looking around for somthing like that, what I got was a Pace Edwards bed locker, works like a roll up door, all alum. with powder coated top. I bought the remote one that you can control from your key chain, ordered from truckaddon.com had some problem with them but the bed locker has been great.I had it 2 years no problem, it is not 100% water tight but I am a contractor and I needed to keep hand tools (locked/safe from walking off) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif in and be able to haul large stuff also. friend of mine got the hand opperated one for his Dodge, it's ok but I was glad I bought the remote one
takes about 2-3 hours to install 2 people is best, the hardest part was fishing the power wire to the batt. up front.
also has built in bed light and can control door locks an powered tailgate lock.
keith /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/warmsmile.gif

· Registered
348 Posts
Been there, done that. I actually have my Peragon "warranty replacement" still in the box.

My truck now has a Retrax. Night and day. The retrax will lock in any position, so I run it about 6" from the downtube of my 5th wheel "gooseneck".

-steve

· Registered
341 Posts
This is exactly why I went with the soft button on cover that I have. I do not remember what brand it is though.
I can totaly remove or install everything for the cover by myself in 20 min. or less.

· Registered
15 Posts
I also made the mistake of purchasing a Peragon cover about three years ago. After fighting it and constantly rebuilding it to keep it ‘semi-functional’ I finally gave up and very unceremoniously ripped it off and tossed it in the trash.

I now have a Retrax cover on and am kicking myself for not going with this from the beginning!!! I love the way it works...effortlessly and reliably. I no longer have to worry about the cover coming out of it’s track every time I try to open or close it.

· Registered
19 Posts
I too went with a RETRAXX. What a great cover. Only disappointment I had was instructions said it would take about 2 hours with 2 people; it took me less than a hour to install on my own!!!

Flawless!!

· Registered
909 Posts
I'll third the Retrax, a guy I work with was looking at it last night, he just bought a fiberglass lid and also wished he had knew about it before he bought what he did!
Retrax

When I bought mine, I mentioned this site and got a $100 discount, not sure if it still appplies or not? ask for Randy

· Registered
3,728 Posts
I haul a 5er and went with an Access roll-up. The fiberglass ones ice up in the winter. My Access has gone through below zero and ice to Arizona summers at 120 degrees and has never missed a lick. It's the best I've seen and costs around $300.

· Registered
138 Posts
JC Whitney has some that are hard covers that roll up in 12 inch sections and store in their own unit up by the cab. You can have them lock in place every 12 inchs. I think they even do one that is electric with a remote for the bling bling factor...
When you say to use with a 5th is this the kind of thing you are looking for?
Dave

· Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So far there's 4 votes for Retrax so I'll probably look at that first.

I'd like to be able to use the thing to cover up my generator & BBQ (the most important stuff) while traveling.

· Registered
165 Posts
I just borrowed a buddies Torza Top folding cover and loved it. It was easy to fold back and have access to the bed. It went on in less than 5 min. and comes off even easier. If you use the truckgadgets.com link above they have the Torza Top just below the Retrax. It is a soft cover compared to the Retrax. I think I may look into the Retrax as well before buying the Torza Top.

· Premium Member
205 Posts
Thumbs Up #4 for Retrax. You seeing a pattern here I hope! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggrin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggrin.gif

· Registered
16 Posts
I'm on my second Torza Top, the first one blew off while I was passing a semi on the interstate about the third day I had it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif The first one only had 2 cross braces but the second one has 4 and it works just fine. It's been on about a year with no problems and still works great in below 0 temps /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

· Registered
58 Posts
I am really happy with my Retrax as well. Especially when towing the 5'er. I simply lock it 6-12" in front of the hitch and go. After I park the trailer it closes right over top of the hitch.

Truckster, I like those electric lock add ons. How hard to install? That would really make access so much easier. Got to get it! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smokin.gif bOOmer

· Registered
348 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
I like those electric lock add ons.

[/ QUOTE ]

Looks nice to me too, but I haul a lot of steel and aluminum billet. As clumsy as I am, it looks to me like I knock it right off the mounting in the first few weeks.

-steve

· Registered
322 Posts
Torza if your number one priority is being able to remove or install in about 1 minute. I ride dirt bikes so this was my number one priority.

· Registered
41 Posts
I have a Fold-a-cover and absolutely love it! It has 4 hard panels that have a keyed lock on the front and rear panels and behave as access doors with the slam-lock design. You can open either side and just let go of the door and it will drop and lock.

You can also fold the 4 panels to the front of the truck to open the bed up.

Here is the link: http://www.fold-a-cover.com/

Installation wasn't too bad, took me about 2-3 hours. The only part I didn't like was the tailgate latch which secures the tailgate when the cover is closed. I initially used this bracket and it called for pop riveting to the tailgate top plastic edge. This didn't work worth a flip, so I removed the bracket and replaced the plastic tailgate end cap. Since Ford's have a locking tailgate, this was something that I shouldn't have even messed with.

I bought mine from http://www.truckaddons.com

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.