The Diesel Stop banner

Too many miles?

4K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  jimmy 
#1 ·
Looking at a 2011 Larait 6.7 with 255,000 miles, truck is real clean. Is that to many miles and how many miles could i get potentially get out of a 6.7.

#2 ·
Out of a 2011? I'm floored that it made it to 100,000. I wonder what number engine it’s on.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: Phillippeterson
#5 ·
#Cause_A_7.3L_Never_Had_Issues

LMAO

Sure there are issues. At 250,000 miles, I've already had to replace my water pump AND my alternator. Otherwise it’s doing fine. Total expense less than $200.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: bugman
#6 ·
My friends that work at a Ford dealer tell me they see very few issues with this engine and transmission. They had some issues with valves in a few of the early 2011's but mine is an early one and I've had no trouble in 174K miles. Others have seen much higher mileage.

#10 ·
The key word being "properly". but still nothing like the power and torque of a stock 6.7.

Know what you mean. It's how I feel about my 'still sitting out front of the house' 97 7.3 that I sunk bazillions into with power and braking upgrades. It runs great and tows like a champ. Well, you know. Wifey kept after me and kept after me until I relented and went on the hunt for a replacement. Settled on a 2016 F-350 6.7. Wow! WHAT - a difference! The power blows me away. Puts my beloved 7.3 to shame. And, I LOVE IT.

The other thing is all that technology that has improved in 20 years. The old truck had power windows. This new one is like a 747 to me. I just found out the backup cam has a zoom - from reading the forum. Whodda thunk?

I just worry that we'll be out in the middle of the desert where we usually haul our trailer to camp, and it breaks down. I wouldn't even open the hood because I have NO idea what I'm looking at. Ha. Tough enough finding the dip stick to check the oil. :(

#11 ·
250,000 miles is a lot of miles on anything. Yea they sometimes go twice that but still. Me I’d go the 6.0 rout but I’ve owned two of them. Haven’t ever owned a 6.7 so I can’t speak for them.

#12 ·
If the 6.0 was bullet proofed the right way I'd take that. See the utube powerstrokehelp guy named bill just did a video on which one is better.. he swears by the 6.0.. after watching I wish I bought one and had him bullet proof it.

#13 ·
I have 2 6.0s in my fleet and work on several. There are a couple of them that are stock but have been deleted and have 200K with nothing but FICM, injectors, and HPOP changes. A few more that have similar miles but have had many serious engine repairs. Repairs include cracked pistons, bad cam from failed roller tappet, and injector tip breakage that scored cylinder with no prior warning. The injector tip truck had no fuel filter or fuel pressure issues ever noted and the pressure was 64psi after repairs finished. I know the broken cranks and dropped valves are noted in some small number on 6.7 but they sold more 6.7s in the same number of model years compared to 6.0s. I'm thinking those two trucks present similar risks but the 2011 is a far nicer rig to live with.

Reactions: badbart
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.