The Diesel Stop banner

Torn intake boot...damaged turbo?

10K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  Vtwinjunkie 
#1 ·
Hello all,
Let me start by saying I am new to diesels. I recently aquired a 2000 f350 1ton with a 7.3 powerstroke, automatic, 99k miles, 8'' lift, 38'' tires, looks like a custom 3 1/2 '' strait pipe exaust from the downpipe back and K&N filter.

IT ALSO HAS ONLY BEEN GETTING 10-11 MPG!

When I got home with the truck I noticed that the filter was completely clogged with dirt and mud and. After swapping it with a stock filter for the time being and changing the oil (rotella 15w40) and filter and about 4k in front end work (ball joints left and right upper and lower, steering rack, tie rods, ect) Most of the Previous damage had been corrected. but I was still blowing alot of black smoke at take off under full throttle and it would clear up after a while. and I appear the have a small oil seap from somewhere under the turbo that comes down to the trans but isnt enough to drip on the driveway...

I recently noticed a 3 inch rip in the intake boot going directly into the turbowhile looking for the cause of the oil seap! I immediatley replaced it and re installed the K&N after I thourouly cleaned and re oiled it.

Now I have a very small amount of white-ish/ gray-ish smoke just at take off under heavy throttle but no more black smoke. I havent driven it enough yet to see if my fuel economy has been getting any better.....

What do you guys think?

I also took a picture of my turbo fins when I replaced the boot...wanted to know if it still looks ok...I diddnt feel any play in the fins but there is a small chip in one....probably from all of the off roading this guy did previous to my owning it. what do you all think of the turbo?

See less See more
Discussion starter · #4 ·
++UPDATE. just went to Lunch and the smoke color I mistook this morning for white/grey was actually just a thin Black smoke.

NOt sure if that makes a diffrence overall but I will keep an eye on it.

Discussion starter · #8 ·
Are you sure you don't have a chip installed? Or a re-programmed PCM? If the previous owner was a serious mudder, I would expect it to have one or the other. That would explain the black smoke and crummy mileage.
I have suspected this myself....although I cant find a box anywhere so perhaps a reprogrammed computer...

Discussion starter · #9 ·
I was thinking the same thing. Sounds like the previous owner wasn't worried about mileage...just having fun tearing up the mud. I would ask him/her if there is a chip installed or has the PCM been reprogrammed. This might explain the black smoke issue.

Griz
Only issue with that is I bought it from a used truck dealer...so There is no way of getting in touch with the previous owner.:thdown:

Discussion starter · #10 ·
I'd consider changing the wheel due to the chip on one blade. That wheel can spin over 100,000 rpm's at full tilt, so balance is kind of important. Otherwise, the fins look to be in great shape so it doesn't look like you need to rebuild the turbo or be worried.

I wouldn't worry about the slight black smoke either. That's normal for an engine under load. Is your speedo corrected? Was the truck re-geared to make moving those tires easier?
Where can I get a new wheel? I am sure that is something I am capable of.

My speedo is off about 10mph...I thought this was due to the large tire/wheel combo on the truck. I am not sure what the gearing is at unfortunately that is a problem with buying used! :thdown:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.