The Diesel Stop banner

torque converter and transmission advice

1K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  TooCoolTwo 
#1 ·
Have a 2002 Excursion, torque converter going out, 370K miles on 7.3 L, transmission still shifts well. Excursion still looks like new, always garage kept. will put money in this truck rather than new. question is with the miles on this truck thinking about changing out transmission as well. looking for thoughts. have thought about upgraded units, but retired and money is an issue. original OEM has held up well, Suncoast or BTS would add several thousand dollars to OEM replacements. would appreciate thoughts and comments.

#2 · (Edited)
Look into a Jasper transmission I have always had good luck with them some people haven't but, I have. My 1st trans. from them I believe their class III medium duty I got about 210,000 mi. and that was when I was hauling commercially almost always towing 12-16,000 lbs. The 2nd transmission that I had also, a Jasper I believe they refer to this one as their class IV or V HD with billet converter and billet input and output shafts I got over 300,000 mi. The current one that I have also, their class IV or V HD it was put in the truck in 2010 and still going strong although I don't put the miles on like I used to this one has about 90-100,000 mi. I believe I paid about 3,600 back then if you are not going to tow a lot with it you don't have to get their best trans. you can go with a mildly built one and save some money. I believe their warranty is 3yr. 100,000 mi. and they will cover you anywhere you are. I had a solenoid pack go bad in Bangor, Me. 2800 mi. from home. I called them up they referred me to a shop in and out within a few hours no charge I myself have always had good luck with their products. I also, have one of their complete rear axle assemblies I lost my original rear end at 830,000 mi. the Jasper unit has 169,000 mi. on it now and still going strong. Good Luck! with whatever you decide.

#5 ·
[QUOTE="Mark

Took the Excursion into Capital Ford in Carson City NV, they confirmed TC bad, sounds like nails in a bucket swirling around. waiting until tomorrow for a quote on cost. Parts quoted $800 for TC, transmission about $2300 approx $3100 for both, unsure about R&R. It seems a bit silly to just replace the TC when I have about 350k miles on the original. I don't tow with it, wife uses it as a daily driver. always kept in the garage, will replace everything before spending big bucks for new. called SunCoast, cost about double for quality. but the original OEM lasted this long. the only thing ever replaced on the engine was HPOP and glow plugs.

#7 ·
Ford dealerships used to sell a HD transmission that was heavy duty use. Not sure if they still do. What is nice about the Ford dealer transmissions is the nationwide warranty if you travel.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.