The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 01' Excursion (7.3, 4×4, SCT Tune, 4 inch exhaust, triple gauge pillar, CAI Fram, 37" BFG's with 8" lift, 196k miles, transylvania flush w/Mobil 1 synthetic) TC is loud (can of nickels) at throttle release and will vibrate & roar at throttle release (all symptoms isolated above 40mph).

I'm leaning towards replacing the TC with a triple disc billet version, but have heard others advise against it.

Upon my next trans flush, I'd like to swap out the TC and upgrade my Trans cooler to a 31row cooler I just picked up. Max temp since my recent trans woes has been 205 (85+ degree heat).

What downfalls would occur if a triple disc bullet were introduced? Failure? Not certain I can foot the bill of a bts or ATS at this time...

· Registered
3,541 Posts
Don't rule out the flex plate, it could be cracked or outright broken. If the TC is getting that bad, it could destroy the drive shaft and/or the pump to TC shaft or even the pump. You could pull the flywheel dust cover and check the 6 nuts that hold the TC to flex plate.

· Registered
21 Posts
If it sounds like this:

It's the flex plate. Mine first started when I let off the throttle getting off the freeway.

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
THAT'S IT!!!! And, is doing the same thing (not at idle), but letting off the thottle on the freeway.

I've had an non balanced drive shaft, unbalanced tores, but this rumble and feel was foreign to me. I'll order a stocker as a billet one is $400-500.

Regarding the TC, any reason I shouldn't buy a triple disc billet (or non billet)?

This dryer full of nickels is driving me crazy and my Prius is too low and isn't as fast as the Excursion. Not to mention, I'm 6'8 (resemble Hightower in Police Academy) and need my legroom back.

· Premium Member
15,558 Posts
If you buy a torque converter from Ford (Autonation - bear creek) you will get the new and improved 4r100 converter which is a triple disk. It replaces the earlier single disk converter that was prone to failure. It will not have the drain plug in it like yours does now. It will also be considerably cheaper than you can find a triple disk from an aftermarket source.

Put the Prius in the bed of your truck. You can pull it down if you need a spare.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.