The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If I'm posting in the wrong section please feel free to move this.
I broke down and downloaded torque pro and bought a blue tooth adapter. Now I'm wondering if I wasted my money on the wrong app? Or maybe I'm just a dummy and don't have a clue how to make it work. It connects to the adapter and will scan for codes but I thought there was a way to run function tests? I know I have a stored code as my ses light has been on but this app doesn't come up with anything. When I click on the test results button it says that my ECU doesn't support tests...
I'm at a total loss here. I know some of y'all are successfully using this app, what am I doing wrong?

·
Registered
89 Posts
I use Torque for reading live sensor data, and Car Gauge Pro for reading DTCs and running diagnostic tests (mainly just cylinder contribution for me) it looks like both these apps may be able to do both functions, but I haven't figured it out.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,197 Posts
I use torque pro to read live data. I tried to read DTC's but look like it doesn't read the powerstroke code (tested compare to AE). for what I know you can't run any test with torque pro

·
Registered
89 Posts
Also, I first bought a Bluetooth/obd2 adapter on eBay and couldn't get anything to work, so after reading more I bought the adapter that the Torque app website recommends and it works. Cost a bit more, but this is all practically free compared to "real" diagnostic tools, and it has saved me a couple times.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Oh, and there is a huge Torque Pro thread somewhere. I forget where it was, but you should be able to find it with Google.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks. I tried looking for it but torque pro is mentioned so many times I couldn't scroll enough... I fiddle more when I have time. AE just isn't in the budget at the moment.

·
Registered
2,846 Posts
there is a big writeup over on powerstroke.org.

It goes over two Bluetooth apps and one computer app.

·
Premium Member
288 Posts
Gator, I run TP on a small Android tablet. If you are running one on iPhone or iPad Dash Command will work better. Also best OBD2 adapter is WiFi, not BlueTooth. The WiFi will transmit more live data faster than BT, and not interfere with calls either. I bought a VeePeak WiFi OBD2 adapter from Amazon for about $17, 6 months ago. It takes several hours to set up the app and get aquainted with it. It can read any data that the vehicle's computer can see, so no coolant temp on 7.3's. Reads and clears fault codes, and nice to see lots of different data when trying to diagnose problems. Google Torque Pro forum and that should lead you to the London based app developer's forum. Hope that helps!

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks. I put it on my android tablet. Bought the upper end cheap blue tooth adapter. And it seems to be working fine. I think I just got frustrated thinking it was more than it is. Once I have the time to actually figure out how to get all the sensors to display I'll probably be happy enough with it.
Might have to look into adding car Guage pro as mentioned above. Does it happen to do buzz test?

·
Premium Member
288 Posts
Thanks. I put it on my android tablet. Bought the upper end cheap blue tooth adapter. And it seems to be working fine. I think I just got frustrated thinking it was more than it is. Once I have the time to actually figure out how to get all the sensors to display I'll probably be happy enough with it.
Might have to look into adding car Guage pro as mentioned above. Does it happen to do buzz test?
TP can run custom PID's like FICM Sync for 6.0, etc., no buzz test though. Dash Command and CarGauge Pro can do it though. I'm almost certain you need the Wifi adapter instead of BT for that though. You might have to search and add PID's for "Cylinder Rotational Velocity" for the 7.3, or find someone with AutoEnginuity for that part. Cheers!

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have access to a full blown tech tool that does everything. Just not 24/7 and I'm looking for something that I can pretty much always have with me.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts