The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im doing the front brakes on my truck and I cant find the torque specs anywhere. Caliper, mounting bracket, banjo bolt, etc. :read: Any one have the FS manual. I have a manual on CD that I got on ebay but I dont trust it.

·
Super Moderator
6,333 Posts
From my 1995 factory manual:

Disc brake dust shield bolts 7-10 lb-ft
Front brake caliper slide bolts 85-100 lb-ft
Front disc brake anchor brake to spindle bolts 141-191 lb-ft
Front disc brake caliper to spindle bolts 22-26 lb-ft
Brake line banjo bolt 10-15 lb-ft
Wheel lug nuts 140 lb-ft

I would imagine 96 specs are the same.

Dave / Believer45

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Dave. That helps me out a lot. One more question, What is the difference between

Front brake caliper slide bolts 85-100 lb-ft

and

Front disc brake caliper to spindle bolts 22-26 lb-ft

·
Super Moderator
6,333 Posts
Looks like the 22-26 is for the F150 light duty pin slider. That was a torque value taken off of a torque table in a manual that includes all Ford vans and trucks.

I would stay on the lower side of the range for the slide pins if it was me (and it was me on Tuesday). I did not use a torque wrench on anything then, I have been doing this stuff for a long time and just tightened until it "felt right". I still have to do my right side and will torque to spec to see how far off I was. There were no issues of consequence bobtail with new brakes on one side of the front but with a small load of hay behind (@4500 lbs) this morning brakes pull to the left side a bit.

Dave / Believer45

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
The caliper slide bolts on my truck are 8mm, 85 foot lb
seems like too much for that size of bolt. 26 foot lb seems more like it to me.

Maybe the 85lb is for the pre 94 brakes I know they had a different style then.

Update.

I dove a little deeper into my FS cd and found out that the 85-100lb-ft is for a Super Duty caliper pin. I also found out that the F-150 uses a 8mm bolt to hold the caliper on as does the f-250 and f-350. I am going to use the 22-26lb-ft for these bolts on my truck.

Thanks again for all your help Dave.

Dave

1 - 5 of 5 Posts