The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

· Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just picke up my truck after being in dealer 25 outta 28 days. Went to turn to start on entrance ramp. Went 1st gear 2 gear. Then lost all throttle response. Engine was at idle. Got coasted off side of ramp. Were truck sat idling in gear mash on throttle up and down, engine rpm didn't change a bit. Repeated probably 20 times truck just sat idling in gear. Then finally it started to respond. Went to 1st exit and going back to dealer stopped at a light. Took off truck went 1st gear then directly to 4th. With no ck engine light or anything. Dealer just looked at me like I'm nuts. As they had just installed a different. Recorder from ford engineers for monitor other concerns. Had flash done and was shifting fine. I guess it got lonely sitting there so long.

· Premium Member
28 Posts
Just picke up my truck after being in dealer 25 outta 28 days. Went to turn to start on entrance ramp. Went 1st gear 2 gear. Then lost all throttle response. Engine was at idle. Got coasted off side of ramp. Were truck sat idling in gear mash on throttle up and down, engine rpm didn't change a bit. Repeated probably 20 times truck just sat idling in gear. Then finally it started to respond. Went to 1st exit and going back to dealer stopped at a light. Took off truck went 1st gear then directly to 4th. With no ck engine light or anything. Dealer just looked at me like I'm nuts. As they had just installed a different. Recorder from ford engineers for monitor other concerns. Had flash done and was shifting fine. I guess it got lonely sitting there so long.

Welcome to my world... 2 dealers and 11 service visits and no joy. Dont worry, it will only happen every once in awhile. But think twice before you pull out in traffic with your new $60,000 truck... but remember, it has 400hp 800lb torque so hold your head high while you are pumping the throttle and retarting it in the middle of an intersection... that is what I do...

· Premium Member
1,271 Posts
Welcome to my world... 2 dealers and 11 service visits and no joy. Dont worry, it will only happen every once in awhile. But think twice before you pull out in traffic with your new $60,000 truck... but remember, it has 400hp 800lb torque so hold your head high while you are pumping the throttle and retarting it in the middle of an intersection... that is what I do...
If you are a 2 foot driver providing input through the gas and brake pedals at the same time you can experience the condition you are experiencing as you could be activating the BOA protection of the PCM. Remember that input from the brake pedal will always win...

2456 - 6.7L DIESEL - INTERMITTENT LACK OF POWER/SURGE/HESITATION WHILE DRIVING - BRAKE OVER ACCELERATOR FEATURE
SOME CUSTOMERS WITH 6.7L DIESEL EQUIPPED VEHICLES MAY EXPERIENCE A PERCEIVED LOSS OF POWER/HESITATION/ENGINE SURGE WHILE DRIVING. THIS MAY BE THE RESULT OF THE POWERTRAIN CONTROL MODULE (PCM) RECEIVING INPUTS FROM BOTH THE BRAKE AND ACCELERATOR PEDALS AT THE SAME TIME, ACTIVATING THE BRAKE OVER ACCELERATOR (BOA) FEATURE. THIS FEATURE WAS INCLUDED ON VEHICLES BUILT ON OR AFTER 8/23/10 AND WITH THE CALIBRATION UPDATE CONTAINED IN FSA 10B17 AND TSB 10-18-2. THIS FEATURE REDUCES ENGINE POWER DURING OFF-IDLE DRIVING WHEN BOTH THE ACCELERATOR AND BRAKE PEDALS ARE APPLIED SIMULTANEOUSLY. THERE ARE CURRENTLY NO PID'S ASSOCIATED WITH THE BOA FEATURE ON THIS APPLICATION. REVIEW WITH CUSTOMER BEFORE PERFORMING DIAGNOSTICS.

· Registered
3,394 Posts
They mistakenly put in the Steve Spurrier/ South Carolina software, you know, the one that shuts down the Tide.

:jester:

· Premium Member
28 Posts
...only when power braking :)

no, I only use one foot to drive the auto, mine will nose over going 2-3 making left turn 4lane to 4lane right at the apex of the turn, it also does it a lot 1-2 in tight residential driving. A couple of times it did what seemed like a 1-N and would not correct until restarted. That was pulling onto a highway while towing. It is driving me nuts that I cant trust it when pulling into an intersection.

The really cool thing about this feature is that it is random, so just when you start regaining confidence....

A lot of times I can feel it "almost" do it, if that makes sense. I am trying to find a combination that can recreate it on demand but no luck so far.

Also, mine was built in July and I had the problem new. I was one of the 1st to get the 10B17 and it made no difference, 10B17 was even backed out and it didn't have any effect and then was reapplied.

· Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Right footed braker always. Delivery in April. Now have 9,500 miles on truck. 1st time for this stunt.

· Registered
23 Posts
I am a one foot driver and will tell you it is not the brake causing the problems for me. The rpm gauge is on the rise the mph guage is on the fall and the truck is coasting until you let off the throttle and the rpm's come down. Then the tranny shifts into 3rd and you are on the move again. I have heard about a recorder box and I will be the first to tell you I am not interested in driving down the road pushing a record button on a $45k truck. That should be Ford's job.

· Registered
63 Posts
Same problem

My truck has been doing this also. Totally random but always in town driving. Push on the throttle and no response, let up and hit it again and again then it will go. Anyone find a fix??? Don't want it to happen when a semi is barreling down on me!!!

· Registered
2,743 Posts
My truck has been doing this also. Totally random but always in town driving. Push on the throttle and no response, let up and hit it again and again then it will go. Anyone find a fix??? Don't want it to happen when a semi is barreling down on me!!!
I’m sorry to hear you’ve been experiencing this concern, and I would like to assist. Please message me with your VIN, approximate mileage, and dealer name and I will escalate this for you.

Cory

· Registered
63 Posts
throttle response

Thanks for the response Cory. I just had my truck into the dealer for it's first oil change and DEF fill. Def said 300 miles till empty and the truck has 5250 miles on it so it looks like the DEF is good for around 5000 miles. 750 miles of it pulling a 5th wheel. I told them about the throttle response and they thought the updates would take care of it. I have yet to drive it enough to see if it was a fix but I will keep you updated.

· Registered
5 Posts
I’m sorry to hear you’ve been experiencing this concern, and I would like to assist. Please message me with your VIN, approximate mileage, and dealer name and I will escalate this for you.

Cory
The same thing happened to me yesterday, pulled out of our company parking lot onto the highway, as it shifted between 3rd and 4th, it was like I push in the clutch, if it had one. I let off the throttle and waited a couple of seconds and then it decided to shift into 4th and off I went.
Is Microsoft writing the firmware for Ford?:icon_wink:

-Gavin

· Registered
55 Posts
I will not be ordering a new 2012 Super Duty I was planning until Ford brings back the manual Transmission. These shifting issues and throttle issues are making me very nervous.

I long for the simpler days before computer transmissions.

· Registered
162 Posts
Same thing - complete loss of throttle

F350DRW, built in Jul 2010, over 6000 miles mostly towing, first oil change at the dealer. Went to exit dealer, required left turn into traffic with slight upgrade, lost all power and had to pull onto shoulder to avoid BIG 18-wheeler. That was too close........... Once on the shoulder power was back, 2nd gear OK, etc. etc.. Cool? Dangerous! Happens left or right turn, towing or not towing; worst case is continuous slow/conservative driving, like on a military base when it happens much too often. I gave up on the dealer after telling him my story, now waiting another tranny update. Ford, ya gotta fix it 'cause it is dangerous!

· Registered
161 Posts
Mine has done the same thing about 1/2 dozen times. It is usually after nailing the pedal pulling out into traffic. By the time you hit top speeds, it goes into "reduced power" mode. I pull over, shut the key off and on, it's right back to normal.

My son has had this happen many times, he says he can make it happen, and tell when it is going to happen...(rodding on the pedal)....lets up on the pedal a bit, and it runs fine.

Is there any word that the new flash will help this.

It is pretty scary.

--

· Registered
1 Posts
My dad just picked up his new truck about 2 weeks ago, and it has done this many times. He is to the point he is scared to drive it is looking to return it to the dealer

I checked the build date on it and his is July 2010

· Registered
2,743 Posts
My dad just picked up his new truck about 2 weeks ago, and it has done this many times. He is to the point he is scared to drive it is looking to return it to the dealer

I checked the build date on it and his is July 2010
I’m sorry to hear your Dad has been having difficulties. It’s possible my other post might have been buried, but I would like to reach out to assist you. So I can help, please send me a private message with the VIN, approximate mileage, and dealer name.

Cory

· Registered
7 Posts
Cory,
I sent you a private message about the same engine stalling issue! Feel free to contact me for more information.

I received my new truck 4/8/2011 too late to take it on my 4-weeks camping trip.
After 500 miles I decided to have my engine stalling issue check at the dealer, spent a full day at the dealer got it back without any fix same old engine stalling. After a dozen stalling incidents and 1000miles decided to have the dealer look into fixing the problem again, they spent a full day and drove my truck for 20 miles trying to reproduce the engine stalling problem, they did not find it yet, so they are keeping it another day trying to reproduce the engine stalling problem, with electronic instrumentation.

Same as other Ford owners I feel your pain! I to have experience some of the
similar engine staliing two main dangerous examples:
1) turning left onto a street in between incoming traffic, step on the gas in 1st gear then engine stalls for 2-4 seconds before going into 2nd, then rpm picks back up and I am able to continue, specially not good situation while towing a 28' trailer.
2) Another scarry moment is when I was turning right from a dead stop while crossing a train track, the engine stalled the same way 1st to 2nd while sitting on the track and then heard the sound of incoming train, yup! not good for the ticker.

-engine stalling happens almost every time I drive my truck
-engine stalling has happened more often turning left onto a street, then right
-engine stalling has happened while towing and not.
-engine stalling has always happened between 1st and 2nd
Hoping Ford engineers come up with a fix before someone gets hurt.

....I am a very concerned retired Ford Manufacturing Engineer.

Still love my new 2011 Ford F350 Super Duty with 6.7L - awsome pulling power!

1 - 20 of 67 Posts