The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey Guys, thanks in advance for investing your time and experience in my problem....

Always a truck guy, new to diesel. 55 years old and wanted a tough good truck for farm use. Thought I did all the checks and bought the 7.3 super cab 6sp a month ago. Love the truck.
Here is the deal:
Runs absolutely great. Starts easily. Does not smoke (except when stomp it, and then its black). Idles good, no strange noises. (other than being a diesel). Very small smoke from Oil filler tube. Not enough to even jiggle the cap. Put hand on it and feel no pressure at all. Got it and immediately changed all fluids. Put in Rotella T5 and Motorcraft Filter. Drove for about 400 miles and checked oil. It was about 2 quarts low. Thought I didn't fill enough so added to proper mark on stick. Drove around 300 miles and rechecked. Its showing 2 quarts low again. That's seems like a lot of oil for 400 miles.

I read and searched the threads and now am at a loss-
The fuel in fuel filter is clean, no oil. No leaks on ground. Valley is dirty and wet, but no oil pooling. As stated no real smoke. Turbo fins look good, but may be new.

Can anyone give me any advise to continue to trouble shoot? or do I need to just take to a shop at this point? And.. if so, any recommendations on a shop? I am just outside Buford, Ga.
I know this is a lot of questions... My son and I like working on it... just want to do what is best.

Previous owner had changed injectors (not sure of brand, stage) added 6 stage chip, rebuilt clutch.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Rick

·
Registered
500 Posts
Injectors can use oil as they get old. Or could be bad injector o-rings. Check turbo could be leaking out the down pipe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
25,085 Posts
If it doesn't get any lower than 2 qts down, it may just be the nature of the beast. There are quite a few guys who have reported their trucks drop a quart and stay there until the next oil change.

It's possible you have a dipstick that's too short as well and are actually overfilling the engine. That will increase consumption until it gets down to where it likes to be.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Injectors can use oil as they get old. Or could be bad injector o-rings. Check turbo could be leaking out the down pipe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2000f250-7-3 thank you for the reply. The injectors are only about 20k miles old. I have read some orings are bad or get damaged up front. Any way to check the orings or injectors without removing them?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If it doesn't get any lower than 2 qts down, it may just be the nature of the beast. There are quite a few guys who have reported their trucks drop a quart and stay there until the next oil change.

It's possible you have a dipstick that's too short as well and are actually overfilling the engine. That will increase consumption until it gets down to where it likes to be.
Klhansen Thank you so much. I have some hope. It does seem to stay at the bottom line of the add mark. I will put on some more miles, see what happens and report back. Thanks again.

My luck it will be a short dip stick.... will never hear the end of that. Guess better than throwing in more money!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Unfortunately its still drinking oil. Went even lower on stick and barely reading after another 100 miles. Going to clean up the engine real well and see if any leaking around turbo, but don't think so. Any other ideas to check?

I'm new to Georgia, any suggestions on a good Shop?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
As I started to clean the engine, i found the clamp that holds the turbo to the spyder is loose and can basically move the hole thing around. Is that a problem?

·
Registered
391 Posts
The clamp you found loose is most likely not the reason for loss of oil. Powerstrokehelp is in Buford Ga. Bill seems like a stand up guy on his youtube videos. 1046 Parkway Ct. 770-931-4070

·
Registered
251 Posts
Unfortunately its still drinking oil. Went even lower on stick and barely reading after another 100 miles. Going to clean up the engine real well and see if any leaking around turbo, but don't think so. Any other ideas to check?

I'm new to Georgia, any suggestions on a good Shop?
You are losing a lot of oil. It should be easy to find if it is leaking. Is your valley full of oil?

·
Registered
4,665 Posts
Check the fuel filter if it is black, you could have an injector O-ring issue.
DENNY

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I cleaned the engine the other day and it shows no leaks. Valley is clean. Checked the Fuel filter and its clean. Truck is not smoking..... I drove another 200 miles..... about another 2 quarts low... Fuel mileage has decreased as well. First 2 trips was about 18mpg. Now about 13.5. Not sure why. Only thing I have done is Clean the EBPS and Tube. Both were totally clogged.

Truck still running great. Drove home about 75mph. Boost runs at about 4-6 and EGT never exceeded 600. Assume those are ok. I would be happy with it if the oil consumption was normal.

·
Registered
998 Posts
If there is no oil outside, then your burning it. I would check the injector o rings, maybe run a compression test. A small clue is the black smoke when you hammer it. A stock truck doesn't smoke or do that, so its probably oil burning and cleaning up with boost. Your boost numbers seem fine so guessing your burning it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thank you Absolute. I can't find a leak so will be looking for a good shop this week. Just so I know, the only time it smokes is if the chip is set on the highest HP. Is that not normal either?

Again, thanks for all of your help.

·
Registered
998 Posts
Oops , missed the chip, yes that is normal to smoke on a hot tune. Sorry about that.

·
Registered
998 Posts
Wonder if previous owner put new cups in when he did injectors . Could have some cracked ones. Might have to pull the injectors and look. How do they fair on a contribution test, and buzz test?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
He stated he did injectors and cups. Showed my son photos of him doing the work, but who knows. We have been texting him trying to find out what he used for replacements but have received no answer. I am just hoping it is injector related and not piston and ring related.... or I guess which ever one is lightest on the wallet at this point.

·
Registered
998 Posts
When asking the installer, see if he used the correct sealant and special tool required to install the cups. Broom stick is rather unreliable. lol

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I have a feeling that may be the problem. At least hoping so.... he did seem like the "make it work" type of guy. Finding a shop this weekend and will update the finding.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts